Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    OFFS. It doesn't matter how popular it was before Apple made it. If it was available to consumers then it is only a new product category in Apple's line-up... regardless of its popularity prior to the introduction.

A new new product category is something that was never available to consumers prior to that time... the first cars, the first steam engines, the first computers, the first home computers... or any other zillion different products.

If it was available on the shelves before Apple made its product then it is only new to Apple.

Yes that would make sense except for the fact that he threw in 'reasonable person'. I'd say that there are a great many 'reasonable' people that believe the iPad is the first tablet ever to exist. I'm more apt to agree with you but you can't completely dismiss my point.

How many reasonable people believe Ford invented the car, or Columbus discovered America? Perception is often stronger than reality, and I'm reading what was implied rather than what was said.
  • Reply 122 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

i wish those things came from apple and i dont give a rats butt what wall street analysts would dub them. We have to agree google is doing some serious inovative work, either cars, robotics, glass ect.. its got its ship steering in the right direction. Apple should step up its game and should invest like hell in providing services. This is were all the money is. I want to see iwallet, improved icloud and stuff like that come to market in 2014

"This is where the money is?!"  Are you kidding me?  It's certainly not where the money is for Google, where 90% of their profits come from advertising revenue.  For Google, advertising is where the money is.  Compare Google's profits to Apple's someday.  Apple is having absolutely no problem making money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The vast majority of people think that the iPad was the first tablet thus for them it was a 'new product category'.

Well it was the first tablet that anyone bought or was useful in any way. So, there is that.

• Reply 123 of 223
    Oh, boy. You can lead a person to knowledge but...

No leaders around here. Just people who only "lead" in their fantasies.
  • Reply 124 of 223
    aaronj wrote: »
    Well it was the first tablet that anyone bought or was useful in any way. So, there is that.

Exactly, which made tablets a 'new product category'. The Americas was called the 'New World' but it wasn’t new at all.
  • Reply 125 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes that would make sense except for the fact that he threw in 'reasonable person'. I'd say that there are a great many 'reasonable' people that believe the iPad is the first tablet ever to exist. I'm more apt to agree with you but you can't completely dismiss my point.

How many reasonable people believe Ford invented the car, or Columbus discovered America? Perception is often stronger than reality, and I'm reading what was implied rather than what was said.

... or;

You could read it this way:

We are making a product that looks just like one of our other products but a reasonable person would look at it and realize that it is a new category for Apple.

• Reply 126 of 223
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Why are you worried about apple? Apple didn't release the first music player or the first smart phone. If the time is right for driverless cars, they'll get into it. Right now the market for it isn't there so let them innovate their own way.

His posts have all the signs of a classic concern troll: "I love Apple but (insert slavish praise for Google here), and I'm afraid Apple is doomed and I want to see Apple on top again."

Apple hasn't changed its strategy. They don't publicly pimp their unfinished beta or R&D projects left and right like Google does for shallow "geek cred." Apple has never, ever done this. How can anyone who claims to be "an Apple fan" suddenly cry concern and worry that Apple isn't doing what it has never done before?
  • Reply 127 of 223
    ... or;

You could read it this way:

We are making a product that looks just like one of our other products but a reasonable person would look at it and realize that it is a new category for Apple.

Agreed, and which is why I said that it's a comment left to interpretation. Nevertheless it'll be interesting to see what he meant.
  • Reply 128 of 223
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Why is he holding the phone upside-down?
  • Reply 129 of 223
    Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Uh, I'm pretty sure what killed Steve Jobs was cancer and not getting it treated as quickly as possible. I don't really think a bad diet is going to lead someone to a rare pancreatic cancer.

236 posts late, but at least it’s finally done. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and never come back.

• Reply 130 of 223
    His posts have all the signs of a classic concern troll: "I love Apple but (insert slavish praise for Google here), and I'm afraid Apple is doomed and I want to see Apple on top again."

Apple hasn't changed its strategy. They don't publicly pimp their unfinished beta or R&D projects left and right like Google does for shallow "geek cred." Apple has never, ever done this. How can anyone who claims to be "an Apple fan" suddenly cry concern and worry that Apple isn't doing what it has never done before?

I think people are frustrated because we knew in advance that Apple was making a smartphone, and there were so many rumors of a tablet that it had to be true, but now the rumors are all over the place, a watch, and a TV set, and now the competition is seemingly beating Apple to the punch.
  • Reply 131 of 223
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    OFFS... have you looked at Intel's 10 year chart.

Apple can sit on its hands if it wants to. No problem. Just keep shipping new iterations of its current devices...

... but don't expect the stock to be a growth stock. That's all that Wall Street is saying.

The Hate Wallstreet crowd on here don't seem to know or care that the same rules apply to all companies. FB and Twitter took a recent battering because their growth in users slowed or stagnated. Same with Apple and iPhones. Wallstreet is valuing apple as a commodity producer of higher priced electronics with no growth strategy until a new category is released. ( And as Marvin pointed out the iPod revenues and unit sales are falling off a cliff)
    charlituna wrote: »
    The share percent is going down. But mainly because the total number has gone up. iOS device sales are holding basically steady while Android and Windows devices increase in number, flooding the market due to the lower price. As you note, often from folks that had little intention of getting a smart phone but deciding to ditch the flip because the cost for say an Android phone is so little (and often put on sale with BOGO etc). 

What numbers we don't see are adjusted for returns and actual usage percents. There are many companies out there that try to sort out the percents of actual usage as a way to get around the lack of adjustment, calling channel 'sales' etc. But they are in no way statistically sound so their results are suspect. Generally they are tied to mobile ad companies so all they see are the usage of apps that have their ads and they might be in a skewed number of apps in each OS etc. But even then they tend to show equal or slightly higher numbers for iOS versus Android which is at least interesting. And then there's the media coverage of big buys like when LAUSD went with iPads rather than Surface (which apparently Microsoft is willing to give to schools for like 25% the retail cost). We don't see many big companies and school districts going with Android or Windows. Or least not press on it. Again not statistically sound as a marker but interesting. 

All this said, what is more important (or should be) than share is profit and Apple seems to have nailed that. So what that they might have only sold 5 Million iPhones this past year compared to say 5 times that with Android and Windows if it turns out that each iPhone makes 6-7 times the profit of the other phones. Unfortunately for Apple the analysts are too busy pulling numbers out of their butts, ignoring that year after year Apple sells more than the previous and so on. And the hit whoring press is more than happy to push out the doom and gloom to get page hits

Your stats are way off. Apple sold 50 million iPhones last Q. And Apples profit is Priced In. The stock reflects that, at 13-15 P/E. You only go higher if you look like you are growing.
  • Reply 132 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I spent a couple of hours with GG a couple of weeks ago. The most utterly laughable product ever.

Would you care to share your experience?

Sure. 

One, it’s rather heavy, and in a lopsided way. The right side (where the GG is) is much heavier and thicker, and does not slide between the ear lobe and the cranium in an easy way. I did not feel comfortable at all, since it seemed heavier on one side, and felt like it could slip and fall any time. The ‘viewing’ glass itself is about an inch long, half an inch wide and tall, and kind of sits there like a weird, clumsy-looking attachment to the glass.

Two, the entire thing comes in one big ‘molded’ piece. You cannot fold it over like you can normal reading glasses to, say, put in your shirt/jacket pocket. You have slip the whole thing into what looks like a man-purse pouch (or you have to carry a man-purse into which you’ll have to put that pouch).

Three, there was no obvious way to get started, but you figure it out by rubbing/hitting it here and there. Even then, the response was not uniform, quick, or smooth. I kept having to try multiple times to get a response.

Four, when it does come on, something like a floating white screen (like a projector presentation screen) shows up on the right side, and it tells you to say “OK, Glass” to get to a menu. (The current menu is really quite limited in terms of functionality). After wearing it and trying to do stuff with it for about 15-20 mins, my right eye got quite visibly tired, and I just had to take the darn thing off to ‘reset’ my vision. Think of looking at a Viewmaster or through a binocular with one eye for an extended period of time. Ugh.

Five, you have to be connected to wifi to get anything to happen at all.

Six, everything is stored on Google servers.

I could go on, but perhaps I should stop here in the interests of time. Let’s just say that I could not wait to take the damn thing off, and get on with my life. It’s not even close to a beta.

• Reply 133 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

They all lost money for google

Surface lost money for Google? Wow.

• Reply 134 of 223

I think a 12 or 13 inch iPad might qualify for a new line if done in such a way to be a bit more like the MacBook Air.

But I take Tim's comment to imply that an iWatch-like device that connects to your phone or iPad would qualify, even it is partly an accessory to an iPad or phone.

• Reply 135 of 223
    "Any reasonable people"

That pretty much rules out Wall Street
  • Reply 136 of 223
    ireland wrote: »
    Leave an audio recorder there and find out.

No need; it makes a sound.
  • Reply 137 of 223
    236 posts late, but at least it’s finally done. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and never come back.

Seconded.
  • Reply 138 of 223

You and I both know it's only temporary.
  • Reply 139 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

"Any reasonable people"

That pretty much rules out Wall Street

LOL  Nice. :)

• Reply 140 of 223
    aaronj wrote: »
    "This is where the money is?!"  Are you kidding me?  It's certainly not where the money is for Google, where 90% of their profits come from advertising revenue.  For Google, advertising is where the money is.  Compare Google's profits to Apple's someday.  Apple is having absolutely no problem making money.

Does "I skate to where the puk is going. Not where it has been" ring a bell?
    In order to keep growing and not become irrelevant apple has to find new industries to relolucionalize. Cars, robotics. Cool stuff don't you agree?