Review: Apple's redesigned late 2013 Mac Pro

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

"Apple includes a bank of LEDs behind the rear panel that light up automatically when the computer is swivelled"

So is it on rollers or similar? Does it actually swivel on some sort of mechanism, or do you just turn it around like you were turning around a telephone or such?

Like a phone.

• Reply 102 of 119
    Quote:

"All this change comes at a price, however, in both unit cost and usability. Starting at $3,000 for a base machine, Apple is certainly not targeting the everyday consumer."

Just so everyone is aware, this is the same price as the original MP base model once inflation is accounted for.

It's only slightly more than my first Mac... a Mac Plus.

My iPhone is more powerful than the MacPlus.

• Reply 103 of 119

He should take a note of Dell's upcoming $699,- 28" 4K monitor then :)

• Reply 104 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosDeBernard View Post

Mickey, amazing work in these article.

I just got a phone call, that a good friend of mine got one. Since he do a lot of tv commercials he buy the model with D700 and 32 of ram. He cry to me on the phone, and told me that he run out of money to get a 4k display. "Apple monitors will do perfect for the moment until mid year..." he said. But one think he told me.... It is amazing playing games pass dinner time!!!..

Thanks for the review.

Happy New Year to all!

He should take a note of Dell's upcoming $699,- 28" 4K monitor then :)

Although there is a reason for the low price. Some can live with that configuration though...

"
    Dell already offers some Ultra HD monitors, including a 32 inch and 28 inch models — but they sell for for $3500 and $1300, respectively.

Update: There’s a reason this model will be priced so much lower. It has a TN display which won’t have the same wide viewing angles as an IPS display. And it has a screen refresh rate of 30Hz at 3840 x 2160 pixel resolutions. If you set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 it will function as a 60Hz screen."

• Reply 105 of 119

Actually, the PCIe SSD replacement is in fact in the foreseeable future. OWC says they'll have them in Q3.

And Apple already has directions on their website for users to swap them out.

Treating pros like pros.

As for Adobe, Pixelmator 3.1 has optimizations for the Mac Pro (16 bit color, and dual GPU acceleration for everything). That ought to light a fire under Adobe to make Photoshop CC better at OpenCL and multi-core support.

• Reply 106 of 119
    Eagerly awaiting my new Mac Pro. This Apple Insider review by Mikey Campbell is truly 5 star! Super writing, photos, insight, the whole deal.
  • Reply 107 of 119
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
  • Reply 108 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

That's dumb ... why nuke your brain and body with wireless radiation, when you have no need to.  

Because physics.

If the wavelength is longer than the purple end of the spectrum, there is, literally, no way that it can "nuke" you.

Only when you get into the UV range that the photons have enough energy to move around links in the DNA. So UV, x-rays, gammas, bad. Yellow, infra-red, radio waves, zero effect. WiFi is radio.

• Reply 109 of 119

WiFi is radio.

But… it gigahurts!

• Reply 110 of 119
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

Maury, you might well want to catch up on your reading ... in particular the published research showing that mobile and wi-fi radiation damage genomes (DNA). Here is a starter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17187929

• Reply 111 of 119
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    wozwoz wrote: »
    Maury, you might well want to catch up on your reading ... in particular the published research showing that mobile and wi-fi radiation damage genomes (DNA). Here is a starter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17187929

It was interesting reading
    about 10-15 years ago
    I tried a Bluetooth headset gave me a headache I tried a different one several years later that also gave me a headache . I was told it wasn't the Bluetooth give me a headache !!
  • Reply 112 of 119
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

Interesting ... Bluetooth also effects me. I was at my aunty today, helping her out on her iMac. She uses it with the Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad ... and within a few minutes, my head was affected. It is not really a headache (frontal lobes), but rather a sort of buzzing that I get in my head, especially near the ear canals. Once started, it can take an hour or two to 'clear'. It may be genetic, as my brother is also affected in the same way by mobile phones near the head, wi-fi near the head, and sitting near Bluetooth antennae.

• Reply 113 of 119
    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

mobile and wi-fi radiation damage genomes (DNA). 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Oh, that’s rich.

• Reply 114 of 119
  • Reply 115 of 119
    You say maxing out memory at 64gb needs registered memory..does that mean it has to be apple memory only ? or we can use third party after purchase?

Does any one know if it will take 2400mhz memory at all>
  • Reply 116 of 119

Is third party memory upgrades work on this? there was one area where it specifically said maxing out needs registered memory..

performance wise does a 12 core proc work better than a 6 core or 8 core higher freq. proc? (assuming the programs being used are written for multi threading?)

• Reply 117 of 119
    Originally Posted by nairfotografia View Post

You say maxing out memory at 64gb needs registered memory..does that mean it has to be apple memory only ? or we can use third party after purchase?

OWC sells the right kind, and as long as you know the specs, anyone else might, too.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1866-memory

Theoretically you can use higher-clocked RAM, as it should automatically downclock, but I wouldn’t; it’s a waste.

• Reply 118 of 119
    Check out this new Mac Pro storage area the Mac Pro Deck: http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/26/hive73-mac-pro-deck-a-great-way-to-organize-your-workspace/
  • Reply 119 of 119
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    [quote]On your desktop, the Deck takes up only 126 square inches, yet if you put something on the bottom, the shelf, and the top, it's equivalent to having 378 square inches of storage area. [/quote]
    Read: it has three shelves.