Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 281
    Cook pretty much promised a larger screen iphone with higher resolution.

And it's probably on deck. :D
  • Reply 22 of 281
    Google has unlimited growth.  

Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.
  • Reply 23 of 281
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »
    The Europe analogy is quite clever, Android definitely doesn't have the unity that Windows had.
    No it was a stupid comment. Europe is a name Americans came up with? Seriously Tim? Go over to Mac Rumors and you'll see comments like "if Android is Europe, then Apple is North Korea". Seriously dumb analogy. Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.
  • Reply 24 of 281
    droidftw wrote: »
    I doubt Tim's story of the origins of the name Europe and I doubt that Americans are as stupid as he's implying.
    I get what Cook meant but that Europe comment was just plain dumb.
  • Reply 25 of 281
    What was Cook's reason for using the phrase "reasonable person"? They talked about it on CNBC yesterday and concluded that this means all we're from Apple this year is an iPhone with a bigger screen, which they immediately said cannot be considered a "new category". Even John Fortt, who is normally pretty bullish on Apple, seemed frustrated by Cooks comment and said Apple should be doing more with its software and services.

My god is Apple's PR department bad. Why in the world is Cook even getting into discussions about whether new products are actually new categories or just updates to existing products? He shouldn't even be going there. When asked about new stuff all he has to do is smile and say "that's for me to know and you to find out". And if he gets pushed on it, decline to comment further. Stop getting in the muck about this "new categories" nonsense.
  • Reply 26 of 281
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No it was a stupid comment. Europe is a name Americans came up with? Seriously Tim? Go over to Mac Rumors and you'll see comments like "if Android is Europe, then Apple is North Korea". Seriously dumb analogy. Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.

Yes, obviously the EU wasn't formed to make life easier for Americans, that is just laughable. But his comment was still on point because for a long time the tech media have been pushing the narrative that Android is the next Windows, in the sense that Windows was more open than Mac, and that is why it won, so Android will beat iOS too. 

But Tim was making the point that, while Windows was open to more hardware, it was in fact still a unified software platform controlled by a single company, which Android isn't (as it allows forks, and forks are happening). So this is not necessarily Windows vs Mac redux.

• Reply 27 of 281
    When any other company adds a larger phone to its mix, any reasonable person would say the company entered a new category and would be praised. If Apple does the same thing, that reasonable person would say Apple did not create a new category and would be criticized.
  • Reply 28 of 281

First of all, lay off of the Woz! He is first and foremost a GEEK (yeah, in caps). Sure he thinks that Apple should make an Android phone. He probably wants Linux on an iPhone as well. And I'll bet he wants a command line interface. That's just Woz. And it was his hardware genius that gave the world the personal computer as we know it today and without which there would have been no Apple Inc. to begin with. Give the man his due.

Secondly,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple trying to go up against Android is a no win situation…

The bogus zero-sum argument is so tiring.:no:  So what if Google does or doesn't have a greater market cap than Apple. Is Apple going to go out of business because Google's valuation is greater? Will Google go bankrupt if it doesn't exceed Apple? Really? :rolleyes: 

Google has absolutely nothing to fear from Apple unless Apple gets smart and builds its own search engine.

Good strategy. Just like Google got smart by building its own smartphones. Oh wait…

• Reply 29 of 281
    ascii wrote: »
    Yes, obviously the EU wasn't formed to make life easier for Americans, that is just laughable. But his comment was still on point because for a long time the tech media have been pushing the narrative that Android is the next Windows, in the sense that Windows was more open than Mac, and that is why it won, so Android will beat iOS too. 

But Tim was making the point that, while Windows was open to more hardware, it was in fact still a unified software platform controlled by a single company, which Android isn't (as it allows forks, and forks are happening). So this is not necessarily Windows vs Mac redux.
    Cook didn't say EU he said Europe. And no the word Europe was not coined by Americans. It existed long before there was a United States. Stupid comment that takes away from the larger (correct) point he was making.
  • Reply 30 of 281
    "Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states. They were very different."

I was born in 1963, which is in the range of Tim. As I think about how I learned about Europe, I remember my elementary school teachers repeating Europe was made up of individual countries not states. This part of Tim's remark is enough for my historical memory.

Europe did not happen until 1957. In grade school, Tim could have been taught what he said in the first part of his statement. Without completely sticking with adult knowledge to make his point, he could have momentarily picked up his childhood lessons.

Since the WSJ is only publishing an edited interview we cannot know EXACTLY what Tim said.

Special note... Elementary vs. grade was done only because I am from the North and Tim is from the South. I remember my Southern cousins saying grade school while we said elementary school in the North. Hopefully this will prevent a flame war.
  • Reply 31 of 281
    "Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states. They were very different."

I was born in 1963, which is in the range of Tim. As I think about how I learned about Europe, I remember my elementary school teachers repeating Europe was made up of individual countries not states. This part of Tim's remark is enough for my historical memory.

Europe did not happen until 1957. In grade school, Tim could have been taught what he said in the first part of his statement. Without completely sticking with adult knowledge to make his point, he could have momentarily picked up his childhood lessons.

Since the WSJ is only publishing an edited interview we cannot know EXACTLY what Tim said.

Special note... Elementary vs. grade was done only because I am from the North and Tim is from the South. I remember my Southern cousins saying grade school while we said elementary school in the North. Hopefully this will prevent a flame war.
    What do you mean by "Europe did not happen until 1957"? Are you referring to what is now considered the European Union?
  • Reply 32 of 281
    crosslad wrote: »
    Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.

Pretty much the same thing for the U.S. Federal government. GSA approved one Samsung phone and no Android tablets of any brand. All Apple iPhone and iPads were approved as well as some Blackberries. Microsoft was completely cut out of any phone and tablet business. You snooze, you lose.

While Google is enjoying a lot of profits, it is not doing so because of Android. First they give away the OS, then they've discovered that the usage of Android phones to surf and search the internet is practically nil compared to the Apple iDevices. Buying MotoMo was Google's second biggest mistake.
  • Reply 33 of 281

I was born in 1943 and Europe was often referred to as "the Old Country" by my grandparents. They could remember that the Prussian Empire was a lot of little independent countries, some as small as a single city. The Ottoman Empire and the Austrian-Hungry Empire were shaken up and parts dissolved throughout most of the first half of the 20th century. Boundaries moved around a lot until sometime after WWII, so why bother learning something that may change from one year to the next. I was probably in my early teens before it was possible to teach a map of Europe.
  • Reply 34 of 281
    rogifan wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Europe did not happen until 1957"? Are you referring to what is now considered the European Union?

Yes. The EEC (European Economic Community) was formed in 1957. There were so many changes going before that date, that I was taught to focus on Europe as of 1957 to learn about it in comparison to and differentiation from the United States.

This does not mean we were not taught about pre-1957!
  • Reply 35 of 281
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Google has already blown by ExxonMobil in market cap and should quickly pass Apple by the middle of the year.  Apple is going nowhere fast.  Wall Street knows Apple has nothing left while Google has unlimited growth.  Apple can keep buying back all the shares it wants but it isn't going to help at all as shareholders continue to dump Apple stock every chance they get.  Apple's stock isn't going to go up and the P/E will simply keep compressing down to the 11s and the 10s as Apple becomes the equivalent of an oil company.  Apple burned too many loyal shareholders in late 2012 and they're never coming back to the company.

Apple trying to go up against Android is a no win situation for Apple and shareholders because the iPhone is going to continue to miss Wall Street expectations every quarter as the industry gets entirely flooded with Android smartphones.  Google has absolutely nothing to fear from Apple unless Apple gets smart and builds its own search engine and ad business and puts it on every Apple device as the default search engine.  If Tim Cook isn't smart enough to figure this out then Apple will simply become obscured by Google's shadow.  Apple prides itself on never spending reserve cash on large acquisitions but saving all that cash isn't doing a darn thing for Apple's value or growth.

Dear Constable,

Everyone including you has become an expert on Apple post Steve Jobs. Everyone has an opinion on what Apple should do next.

We've heard everything, from Apple should release a bigger phone, to the iWatch, to the i/Apple TV to developing its search engine, to buying Twitter etc.

I'll just say this, while other companies, Google, Amazon, blurt out their future plans to the world way ahead of time, Apple is marching to its own beat. They release products when they're ready. Sure Google has Glass. But would anyone in their right mind say that it is a finished product? Amazon wants drones to deliver packages. How far off are we from that? Five years? Galaxy gear? Give me a break!

When it comes to growth, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple still has room to grow. China mobile deal just happened but in most of Asia, Latin America and Africa, Apple is virtually non existent.  Android manufacturers have been there from the beginning. 

I see steady growth coming from Apple. 

As for new product categories, we'll just have to wait and probably be surprised/wowed when it finally does appear. 

• Reply 36 of 281
    crosslad wrote: »

Google DOES have unlimited growth. They are buying AI companies to build robots to use they're search engines.
  • Reply 37 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?

Woz was a great engineer 35 years ago, but a very bad entrepreneur. Everything he says, not matter the direction, has 0 importance.

• Reply 38 of 281

I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

• Reply 39 of 281
    I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

That'll be a loosing battle. You can't force everyone on iOS to use it, people are used to google. They even made it into a verb... Yeah you have a choice to switch out of google, but who the hell used bing now? I mentioned in another post, the money is in ads, and apple has iAds
  • Reply 40 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

That'll be a loosing battle. You can't force everyone on iOS to use it, people are used to google. They even made it into a verb... Yeah you have a choice to switch out of google, but who the hell used bing now? I mentioned in another post, the money is in ads, and apple has iAds

Just like everyone buys iPads from Google and iPhones from Samsung! Who cares? And it isn't forcing, people will change the default if they want. Search is very important, too much to hand it to Google.