Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 41 of 281
    Just like everyone buys iPads from Google and iPhones from Samsung! Who cares? And it isn't forcing, people will change the default if they want. Search is very important, too much to hand it to Google.
    I just see it as a place apple couldn't excel in. They are better off (and they are in progress of) making the default bing or yahoo... But even then, everyone goes back to using google...
  • Reply 42 of 281
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    eriamjh wrote: »
    "That's one of the reasons, although not the only reason, why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy..."

I'd love to hear him say crappy.

30:00 here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13qpijbvpiqefjbgewrifhbvefqpihbdfv2/event/index.html
    rogifan wrote:
    What was Cook's reason for using the phrase "reasonable person"?

Not everyone thought the iPhone or iPad were new categories of product given the existence of tablets and smartphones before them. Those people would be unreasonable. If they reinvent the TV, similarly unreasonable people might not consider it a new category of device.
    rogifan wrote:
    Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.

He talks with confidence. There's quite a lot of marketing fluff and some of the off-the-cuff talk doesn't go well but I can't think of anyone public at Apple who would do a better job.
  • Reply 43 of 281
    crosslad wrote: »
    Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.

Agree , but till the limit is known , Wall Street is still dreaming there is unlimited growth .
  • Reply 44 of 281
    Woz was a great engineer 35 years ago, but a very bad entrepreneur. Everything he says, not matter the direction, has 0 importance.

When I read what Wozniak had said, I wondered why he would promote Apple's self-destruction by producing Android smartphones. Where is Apple's best interest in producing Android smartphones? Any order for Apple to make itself stand out from the Android partners, Apple would have to fork Android then develop custom apps as Amazon does. So, what benefit would Woz's latest great idea be to Apple's long-term success?
  • Reply 45 of 281
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

- Apple’s search engine. Why doesn't Apple do something?

Because they couldn’t care less. End of story.

Apple has to do it.

No, Apple doesn’t have to turn its customers into whores.

• Reply 46 of 281
    I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.
  • Reply 47 of 281
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

If you want to use an Apple search engine use Siri. Voice recognition might be slower than typing for something big like writing a book, but it's just perfect for short things like Internet queries.

And Siri doesn't just do speech recognition on what you say and submit it to Google, it tries to figure out what you're asking (e.g. weather, sports scores) and has special databases just for those. Google is just a last resort, which is what searching the general Internet should be anyway, because you will always get better results for the customer by searching a special purpose database, provided you can figure out what they talking about. Even in the general/unrecognizable case, Siri will often choose Wolfram Alpha over Google.

• Reply 48 of 281
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?
    e1618978 wrote: »

Woz has brain damage from an airplane crash.

Ha! That was a long time ago. Woz is a DIY tech guy through and through, so I expect him to say stuff like that. It's what he would do. But Apple isn't the home-brew computer company he started in the Jobs family garage all those decades ago. All the design, UX and tight OS+hardware integration that the iPhone is known are uniquely Apple brand strengths. Adopting Android seems like a very un-Apple-like thing to do, and would be oblivious to all the strengths.
  • Reply 49 of 281
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

There was a poll not many years ago, and a huge percentage (can't remember what it was, but it was really large) couldn't find Russia -- RUSSIA! -- on a world map.  Americans' lack of knowledge about the rest of the world -- heck lack of knowledge about America itself -- cannot be overestimated.

Heck, when Sarah Palin was being prepped for the debates in 2008 they had to explain to her where Germany was, that they were part of the Axis in WWII, etc.  Really scary.

This is from 2006, but if anything it's most likely gotten worse:

I mean, COME ON!  How can nearly half of Americans aged 18-24 not be able to find India?!  I mean, ooh, if it were like Montenegro or Andorra or something, even say Serbia, I could understand.  But not only is India a HUGE country, it is also very distinctive looking.  And not knowing where Louisiana is?  Give me a break.  You have to either live in your basement 24/7 doing nothing but playing Xbox or be partially retarded.

Are you kidding?   We're far dumber than not being able to find India on a map.

Aside from California, Texas, Florida and maybe New York, most Americans can't find a given state on a map and in surveys I've seen (and in a bit that Jay Leno once did), many don't know that there are 50 states.   

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

Other "highlights": 

88% could not name one writer of the Federalist papers.

80% could not name the President during World War I (Wilson)

40% could not correctly name who we fought in WWII.  (Japan, Germany and Italy)

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

81% could not name a power of the Federal Government.  

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

70% did not know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

• Reply 50 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

If you can be more specific, send your thoughts over to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

• Reply 51 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If you can be more specific, send your thoughts over to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?

• Reply 52 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

Other "highlights": 

88% could not name one writer of the Federalist papers.

80% could not name the President during World War I (Wilson)

40% could not correctly name who we fought in WWII.  (Japan, Germany and Italy)

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

81% could not name a power of the Federal Government.  

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

70% did not know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

You think that is bad? Check out the Harris Poll on Americans' belief in God, Miracles, UFOs, etc: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1353/Default.aspx

• Reply 53 of 281
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?
    He's not condescending. How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?
  • Reply 54 of 281
    - Apple’s search engine. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why doesn't Apple do something?</span>

Because they couldn’t care less. End of story.
    Apple has to do it.

No, Apple doesn’t have to turn its customers into whores.

So Apple doesn't have to turn it's costumers into whores. Fine, it's better to let Google turn Apple's costumers into whores, by having it as the search engine on Mac, Windows and iOS, no matter if they use safari or Chrome.

Heck, better yet. Let's do the right thing, and let Microsoft do it to Apple costumers with bing!

No one is telling that Apple should ape Google search and use it like that. Of course you are too limited for that, but I believe in Apple and the people working there.

Because of that, I think that Apple should make a better search engine alternative, use it as default, be open to their costumers (us) about it and of course integrate it better (spotlight, apps, etc) and create a fantastic experience.
  • Reply 55 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?

Gee, where did I say any of that?

• Reply 56 of 281
    I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

A different way to integrate search could even improve those services.

To the guy that mentioned it: Even in USA, Siri is not a substitute to the search engine. A search engine can have unlimited potential... Siri is for casual stuff in a very limited part of the world.

I bet Apple could do a perfect marriage of wolfram alpha and Google, plus some great things.
  • Reply 57 of 281
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I've heard 7.1 is rock solid. I hope so as I hate all the Safari crashes on iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 281
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    A different way to integrate search could even improve those services.

To the guy that mentioned it: Even in USA, Siri is not a substitute to the search engine. A search engine can have unlimited potential... Siri is for casual stuff in a very limited part of the world.

I bet Apple could do a perfect marriage of wolfram alpha and Google, plus some great things.
    I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad. Microsoft's future is not in selling hardware, it's not in Windows everywhere. It's cloud and apps. Apple's strength is not cloud or enterprise apps.

Apple should make Microsoft an offer they can't refuse to get Office on the iPad. And maybe there are other ways Apple and Microsoft could work together as a counterbalance to Google's dominance. The unfortunate thing is what Mark Penn has been doing with Microsoft's advertising, basically taking potshots at Apple. The lastest being sending iPhone owners an email with a picture of a decaying Apple asking them to switch to a Lumia. Hopefully Nadella will stop that nonsense.
  • Reply 59 of 281
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Gee, where did I say any of that?

You said:

And I replied:
    How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs?

I should have added, to improve certain software/services.
  • Reply 60 of 281

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Stop taking it personally.