Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 61 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

You said:

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

And I replied:

How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs?

I should have added, to improve certain software/services.

If Apple was actually "focused" on improving Safari then it wouldn't have had so many iOS problems/bugs. (... and please don't give me the silly little... "I've never had any problems"... in response.

So... a little more focus would be an improvement.

• Reply 62 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

I disagree. Apple has credit card numbers, hundreds of millions of them. And iAd, which I believe is doing quite well. Any search engine they may make or buy (DuckDuckGo, anyone?) would be used to enhance the user experience on iOS or Mac OS X, and nothing else.

• Reply 63 of 281
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad. Microsoft's future is not in selling hardware, it's not in Windows everywhere. It's cloud and apps. Apple's strength is not cloud or enterprise apps.

Apple should make Microsoft an offer they can't refuse to get Office on the iPad. And maybe there are other ways Apple and Microsoft could work together as a counterbalance to Google's dominance. The unfortunate thing is what Mark Penn has been doing with Microsoft's advertising, basically taking potshots at Apple. The lastest being sending iPhone owners an email with a picture of a decaying Apple asking them to switch to a Lumia. Hopefully Nadella will stop that nonsense.

This is an interesting idea but caution and a remembrance of history is needed here. Introducing possible future hostage situations into the Apple ecosystem should not be done in my opinion. Microsoft would welcome an Apple exclusive on the iPad!

History shows all of us that Microsoft did not hesitate to embrace, extend and extinguish Office for Mac after gaining a leading market share in the office productivity space. Walking into an iPad exclusive version of Microsoft Office would not be good for Apple. Forcing Microsoft to adhere to the current App Store guidelines levels the playing field in this case. No company gets an unfair advantage since every company has to compete fairly. This allows a one person company to compete against Apple, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc. and win.

Countering Google's dominance on iOS has been done. Removing the built-in Google Maps and You Tube apps has forced Google to submit apps through the App Store AND upgrade the apps in a timely manner to stay ahead of Apple and other companies. Think about how many upgrades Google has provided in its Maps and You Tube apps since last year.
  • Reply 64 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Stop taking it personally.

Do you really think that I do not know where/how to provide feedback to Apple? Really?

C'mon...

• Reply 65 of 281

Back on topic, the interview also contained these gems that are worthy of note:

1) Apple’s performance on a constant-currency basis: “The dollar has gotten so strong that last quarter, our revenue growth in Japan was 11%. At constant currency from year before, it would have been 37%. When you lose 26 points on a currency conversion and it’s 9% (of the total), it takes off a couple of points on the macro-side.

2) Growth prospects for the Mac: “A lot of people are throwing in the towel right now on the PC. We’re still spending an enormous amount on really great talent and people on the Macs of the future. And we have some really cool things coming out there. Because we believe as people walk away from the PC, it becomes clear that the Mac is what you want if you want a PC.”

3) Product philosophy: “….we’re not going to make junk. We’re not going to put Apple’s brand on something someone else designed.”

4) Google jettisoning Motorola: “Google gets rid of something that’s losing money, something that they’re not committed to. I think it’s really hard to do hardware, software and services and to link all those things together. That’s what makes Apple so special. It’s really hard, so I’m not surprised that they are not going to do that.”

• Reply 66 of 281
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

3) Product philosophy: “….we’re not going to make junk. We’re not going to put Apple’s brand on something someone else designed.”

New York Times headline: APPLE CALLS EVERYTHING ELSE MADE BY EVERYONE ELSE ‘JUNK’

• Reply 67 of 281
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is an interesting idea but caution and a remembrance of history is needed here. Introducing possible future hostage situations into the Apple ecosystem should not be done in my opinion. Microsoft would welcome an Apple exclusive on the iPad!

History shows all of us that Microsoft did not hesitate to embrace, extend and extinguish Office for Mac after gaining a leading market share in the office productivity space. Walking into an iPad exclusive version of Microsoft Office would not be good for Apple. Forcing Microsoft to adhere to the current App Store guidelines levels the playing field in this case. No company gets an unfair advantage since every company has to compete fairly. This allows a one person company to compete against Apple, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc. and win.

Countering Google's dominance on iOS has been done. Removing the built-in Google Maps and You Tube apps has forced Google to submit apps through the App Store AND upgrade the apps in a timely manner to stay ahead of Apple and other companies. Think about how many upgrades Google has provided in its Maps and You Tube apps since last year.
    Well there currently isn't office on iPad so I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it. Seems if anything their desire to protect Windows and get into devices with Surface is preventing them from doing it. But like I said Microsoft should focus on what they do best right now which is cloud and software. Stop making every decision based on Windows.
  • Reply 68 of 281

So basically Cook told Woz to pound sand. :D
  • Reply 69 of 281
    aaronj wrote: »
    LOL :)

Yeah, and like history, they don't teach anything about the rest of the world in most schools anymore.  And so many Americans lack any curiosity about anything at all outside of sports and the Kardashians.  It's really pretty scary, if you think about it, this near total lack of interest in anything.

I mean, imagine someone who can't recognize Russia on a world map, cannot recognize the WORLD'S LARGEST COUNTRY!  I mean, the thing's only 6.5M sq. miles and 9 times zones across. :)  I also remember a survey of Americans during the Cold War (so obviously this was a while ago) where a MAJORITY of Americans believed that we fought *against* the Soviets in WWII.

It's all very, very sad and disturbing.

What's wrong with lacking curiosity? Why should Americans need to know where Russia is? I don't find it at all sad or disturbing.
  • Reply 70 of 281
    4) Google jettisoning Motorola: “Google gets rid of something that’s losing money, something that they’re not committed to. I think it’s really hard to do hardware, software and services and to link all those things together. That’s what makes Apple so special. It’s really hard, so I’m not surprised that they are not going to do that.”
    To use a crude analogy, Google basically raped Motorola Mobility for what it wanted (patents and advanced tech group) and then threw it away. I'm surprised so many are cheering this.
  • Reply 71 of 281
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?

Woz jumped the shark when he started playing Segway Polo.

• Reply 72 of 281
    rogifan wrote: »
    No it was a stupid comment. Europe is a name Americans came up with? Seriously Tim? Go over to Mac Rumors and you'll see comments like "if Android is Europe, then Apple is North Korea". Seriously dumb analogy. Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.

Hey Rogifan, I usually agree with your posts, but not this one. For the English, Europe is another world. We don't feel European at all. And European countries are all very different, much more so than US states. Europe is mostly just a convenient label for lumping together countries that are close to each other.
  • Reply 73 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not everyone thought the iPhone or iPad were new categories of product given the existence of tablets and smartphones before them. Those people would be unreasonable.

If they reinvent the TV, similarly unreasonable people might not consider it a new category of device.

I think it's unreasonable to call them new product categories, except maybe the iPad (I don't know whether there were tablets before the iPad, but I've heard there were).  The iPhone was a smartphone, which existed before.  It might even be categorized as a touchscreen smartphone, but that wasn't a new category either.  What set the iPhone apart was that it was the first good touchscreen smartphone, but "good touchscreen smartphones" isn't a product category.  When Apple reinvents the TV, it won't be a new category of device either.  TVs already exist, as do smart TVs.  What don't currently exist are good smart TVs.

• Reply 74 of 281
    I think it's unreasonable to call them new product categories, except maybe the iPad (I don't know whether there were tablets before the iPad, but I've heard there were).  The iPhone was a smartphone, which existed before.  It might even be categorized as a touchscreen smartphone, but that wasn't a new category either.  What set the iPhone apart was that it was the first good touchscreen smartphone, but "good touchscreen smartphones" isn't a product category.  When Apple reinvents the TV, it won't be a new category of device either.  TVs already exist, as do smart TVs.  What don't currently exist are good smart TVs.
    The point isn't whether Apple creates a category that doesn't currently exist, it's whether Apple enters a category that is new for them and brings in new revenue streams. A wearable device, TV or mobile payments system would be a new category for Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 281
    Hey Rogifan, I usually agree with your posts, but not this one. For the English, Europe is another world. We don't feel European at all. And European countries are all very different, much more so than US states. Europe is mostly just a convenient label for lumping together countries that are close to each other.
    Fact is the name Europe is not a name created by Americans. It existed long before the United States did. So that comment was dumb and took away from his larger more accurate point.
  • Reply 76 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well there currently isn't office on iPad so I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it. Seems if anything their desire to protect Windows and get into devices with Surface is preventing them from doing it. But like I said Microsoft should focus on what they do best right now which is cloud and software. Stop making every decision based on Windows.

You are confusing me!

You wrote, "I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad."

Now you write, "I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it."

What are you thinking? :-)))

• Reply 77 of 281
    Quote:

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

Quote:

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

He's not condescending. How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?

We do know for certain that they are not doing a good job of fixing these services. And it's not just a matter of fixing bugs. Beta releases of Mail, etc. delivered to developers? Do you know what you are taking about? What's released to developers are beta versions of iOS or Mac OS, not Mail on its own.

• Reply 78 of 281
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

RE: Everyone posting about Europe.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread.

Europe is a continent.

Europe is not the EU, the EEC, all of Europe minus the United Kingdom, or a term invented for stupid Americans.

• Reply 79 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

RE: Everyone posting about Europe.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread.

Europe is a continent.

Europe is not the EU, the EEC, all of Europe minus the United Kingdom, or a term invented for stupid Americans.

I know I should resist but... Other than Europe being a continent, please share with us what you think Europe is.

• Reply 80 of 281
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

As for a large-screen iPhone, the Apple chief was expectedly coy, saying such a product isn't out of the realm of possibility. Apple will only make the leap when the technology is ready.

I was hoping Apple would make an iPhone with a smaller screen, frankly. A lower profile would fit much better in a pocket, be lighter weight and have spectacular battery life.