Deleting Bulk Mail in Mavericks Mail 7.1

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2014

I know how to select all and delete mail all at once but one of them has to open and I don't want it to.   Any ideas about how to delete bulk mail without opening one of them since it's spam?

Thanks.:???: 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Clicking the first, scrolling down to the last, and shift-clicking to select them all? 

Or is that not what you want?

• Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Clicking the first, scrolling down to the last, and shift-clicking to select them all? 

Or is that not what you want?

If I do it that way, one of them opens, unless I'm not doing it correctly.    I guess that lets the spammer know it's been received and opened.  That's why I don't want to open it.   I used to be able to double click on the preview pane divider, and it would disappear to the bottom.  I would hit "command +A" to "select all" and then hit delete.   Now with Mavericks I can't do that.   If there are just a couple of emails I can drag them one by one into the trash without opening them.   When there are a bunch, it takes too long.  So, I'm looking for a good way to do this.  Thanks for your help.

• Reply 3 of 16
    Originally Posted by plantsower View Post

If I do it that way, one of them opens, unless I'm not doing it correctly.

Well, yeah; you have to select one to get that initial highlight.

I guess that lets the spammer know it's been received and opened.

That’s not how e-mail works.

• Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Well, what if they have one of those programs that lets them know when their email is opened?    I think Outlook Express does that.

• Reply 5 of 16
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Well, what if they have one of those programs that lets them know when their email is opened?    I think Outlook Express does that.

It's not embedded programs that you need to worry about - it's linked images.  They add images to the email with unique URLs that let them know when you retrieve the image. Under Mail > Preferences > Viewing, ensure that "Display remote images in HTML messages" is unchecked.

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

OK.   Thanks.  I'll do that.   Well, to show my ignorance here, does that mean I won't have HTML in my emails or is it referring to something else?    I'm not sure what a remote image is.  Thanks.

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's not embedded programs that you need to worry about - it's linked images.  They add images to the email with unique URLs that let them know when you retrieve the image. Under Mail > Preferences > Viewing, ensure that "Display remote images in HTML messages" is unchecked.

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 16
    plantsower wrote: »
    OK.   Thanks.  I'll do that.   Well, to show my ignorance here, does that mean I won't have HTML in my emails or is it referring to something else?    I'm not sure what a remote image is.  Thanks.

It just means that you have to press the "Load images" button in an email with linked (rather than embedded) images to view the images.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

It just means that you have to press the "Load images" button in an email with linked (rather than embedded) images to view the images.

Oh.   Well, thanks you guys.   I was so frustrated thinking they could see me open their mail.   I feel better already.  

So, according to this link http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresscomposing/qt/Request_Read_Receipts_for_All_Messages_in_Win_Live_Mail_WM_OE.htm

it doesn't mean that someone can get a receipt when I open the mail?   Sorry.   I really need to get my head around this.  

• Reply 9 of 16
    sumansuman Posts: 10member

Watch out live updates on cricket, football, hockey, tennis, F1 and many othersInterviews and breaking news of celebrities, get up to date information on sports in newsgaadi.

Breaking news in world today

International breaking news today

Latest business headlines

Bollywood entertainment news

Latest sports news

Espn sports news

Sports news football

Latest tollywood news

• Reply 10 of 16
    sumansuman Posts: 10member

Newsgaadi source information from websites across the world and give you the most reliable and healthiest facts and details on diet and wellness, body care, fashion and travel, food and drinks in our lifestyle segment. We also post recipes on curries, deserts, snacks and rice items that make your mouth melt.

Latest bollywood entertainment news

Latest bollywood news

Business technology news

Current science and technology news

Latest science technology news

Today latest news in world

National news headlines

Foot ball news

Latest cricket news

Cricket news of India

• Reply 11 of 16

Weird.  I got an email this a.m. saying that someone named "suman" replied to my post but I can't find it anywhere.   Oh well.

• Reply 12 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    plantsower wrote: »
    Weird.  I got an email this a.m. saying that someone named "suman" replied to my post but I can't find it anywhere.   Oh well.

It was a spammer that replied.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was a spammer that replied.

Thanks.   I wish a real person would reply to my last post.  :rolleyes:

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Quote:

Oh.   Well, thanks you guys.   I was so frustrated thinking they could see me open their mail.   I feel better already.  

So, according to this link http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresscomposing/qt/Request_Read_Receipts_for_All_Messages_in_Win_Live_Mail_WM_OE.htm

it doesn't mean that someone can get a receipt when I open the mail?   Sorry.   I really need to get my head around this.  

Some email clients, including web-based ones, allow you to request receipts (it's just an additional header item) but they will only be returned if the recipient instructs his or her email client to do so.  Apple Mail does not request or send read receipts.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Some email clients, including web-based ones, allow you to request receipts (it's just an additional header item) but they will only be returned if the recipient instructs his or her email client to do so.  Apple Mail does not request or send read receipts.

Okay.   I guess that says it all.   Thank you very much.   :)

• Reply 16 of 16
    stxnpxstxnpx Posts: 1member

This has been frustrating me, too. Here's the best I've been able to do with it so far.

Click on "Mail" in top left of menu bar.

"Preferences" - "Accounts" -  "Mailbox Behaviors" - "Junk" -  "Delete junk messages when" - Select "quitting mail."

Caveat: for some reason, this only deletes most of the bulk/junk mail but a few messages are still there when I open the Mail app again. I'm hoping that Apple will fix this gltich soon, because I don't even want to see this garbage at all.

If you do not uncheck "Keep junk messages on server," you can check them online every now and then to be sure there aren't any that are actual "good" email.