Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 121 of 281
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

His point of view being that southerners as a group are a bunch of ignorant rednecks (where by "ignorant" I mean "more so than the rest of the country"). Does one really need evidence to prove him wrong? What if he had said "I am guessing it is all those Indian immigrants skewing the metric"? Would you have given him a reasoned explanation, or just told him to go **** himself?

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY HS DEGREE OR HIGHER:

Tennessee

New Mexico

W. Virginia

Arkansas

Louisiana

Alabama

Kentucky

California

Mississippi

Texas

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY BACHELOR'S DEGREE OR HIGHER

Tennessee

Oklahoma

Indiana

Alabama

Nevada

Louisiana

Kentucky

Mississippi

Arkansas

West Virginia

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY ADVANCED DEGREE

Nevada

Idaho

Oklahoma

South Dakota

Mississippi

Louisiana

North Dakota

West Virginia

Arkansas

STATES THAT MADE ALL 3 LISTS

West Virginia

Arkansas

Louisiana

Mississippi

• Reply 122 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY HS DEGREE OR HIGHER:

Tennessee

New Mexico

W. Virginia

Arkansas

Louisiana

Alabama

Kentucky

California

Mississippi

Texas

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY BACHELOR'S DEGREE OR HIGHER

Tennessee

Oklahoma

Indiana

Alabama

Nevada

Louisiana

Kentucky

Mississippi

Arkansas

West Virginia

BOTTOM 10 STATES RANKED BY ADVANCED DEGREE

Nevada

Idaho

Oklahoma

South Dakota

Mississippi

Louisiana

North Dakota

West Virginia

Arkansas

STATES THAT MADE ALL 3 LISTS

West Virginia

Arkansas

Louisiana

Mississippi

a) The population of your last four states is tiny, certainly not enough to skew the numbers.

(b) the major reason why the make all the lists is a (proportionally) large and very poor black population.

Just like CA makes the list because of the very large and poor Hispanic and black population.

You want to prove that the lower classes are less educated? I totally agree. So? The OP could have said: the south side of Chicago skews the numbers, and that would have been true too. Or, downtown Detroit skews the numbers. Very true. Or, North, South, and West Philly skew the numbers [by the way, all three of these areas are probably about as populous as AK) But they didn't, which to me means that they are not racist against black people (at least, they are not admitting it), but against poor white people. Is this any better? No, it is not. Bigotry is bigotry.

• Reply 123 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I'm always surprised how many people have advice for Americans. I'm not saying we couldn't use it, but we're no different than any other country. I don't see corrections about the Nigerians mass machete killings of Christians in a random comment, or the fgm type III (female genital mutilation) practices of Muslims across all northeastern Africa, where they leave a hole small enough to use the restroom and then reopen the wound for intercourse. I do hear about how Americans should learn more geography and other problems. But then, without your help these Americans may not have been smart enough to write the software we're all using to leave comments on these phones of ours, or tablets/desktops/laptops? I mean if you think about it, why is there never any advice for Sweden? Or Chile?

Those issues come up a lot (or issues like them), just not here.  It's unlikely that those subjects would come up on a tech site very often.

But beyond that, I think that we (those of us who are Americans) look around us and see nearly unlimited wealth, vast opportunities for education, and a diverse, fascinating population and culture -- and things like our countrymen and -women not knowing where Russia is, or Louisiana is or there being museums to Creationism or our bridges falling apart and our roads in dreadful condition or so many other things -- we look at all that stuff and we find it depressing.

At least that's it for me.

Also, people running around slaughtering people with machetes -- there's not a whole lot of difference of opinion on that, I don't think.  

• Reply 124 of 281
    Quote:

a) The population of your last four states is tiny, certainly not enough to skew the numbers.

(b) the major reason why the make all the lists is a (proportionally) large and very poor black population.

Just like CA makes the list because of the very large and poor Hispanic and black population.

You want to prove that the lower classes are less educated? I totally agree. So? The OP could have said: the south side of Chicago skews the numbers, and that would have been true too. Or, downtown Detroit skews the numbers. Very true. Or, North, South, and West Philly skew the numbers [by the way, all three of these areas are probably about as populous as AK) But they didn't, which to me means that they are not racist against black people (at least, they are not admitting it), but against poor white people. Is this any better? No, it is not. Bigotry is bigotry.

West Virginia's black population is ~3.5%.

Just saying.

• Reply 125 of 281
    Quote:

West Virginia's black population is ~3.5%.

Just saying.

Congratulations, you found your poor white people!  

By contrast: LA: 32% black, MS, 37% Black, AK 15% Black. (and yes, all four states have a lot of poor white people, too.  however the four of them have a total population of around 10 million, so around 3% of the american population, so not much of a skew). Still, you are dodging the question: no one argues that the US has a lot of income inequality, which is responsible for a lot of education inequality. The OP mentioned the Southeast explicitly, [despite, as I had pointed out before, no dearth of inequality elsewhere] which, to me, was a clearly meant as a slur against white southerners. Like that redneck Tim Cook). 

• Reply 126 of 281
    Quote:

Those issues come up a lot (or issues like them), just not here.  It's unlikely that those subjects would come up on a tech site very often.

But beyond that, I think that we (those of us who are Americans) look around us and see nearly unlimited wealth, vast opportunities for education, and a diverse, fascinating population and culture -- and things like our countrymen and -women not knowing where Russia is, or Louisiana is or there being museums to Creationism or our bridges falling apart and our roads in dreadful condition or so many other things -- we look at all that stuff and we find it depressing.

At least that's it for me.

Also, people running around slaughtering people with machetes -- there's not a whole lot of difference of opinion on that, I don't think.  

Apparently, there is, on that AND on genital mutilation, since quite a lot of people are involved in both activities.

• Reply 127 of 281
    Quote:

Congratulations, you found your poor white people!  

By contrast: LA: 32% black, MS, 37% Black, AK 15% Black. (and yes, all four states have a lot of poor white people, too.  however the four of them have a total population of around 10 million, so around 3% of the american population, so not much of a skew). Still, you are dodging the question: no one argues that the US has a lot of income inequality, which is responsible for a lot of education inequality. The OP mentioned the Southeast explicitly, [despite, as I had pointed out before, no dearth of inequality elsewhere] which, to me, was a clearly meant as a slur against white southerners. Like that redneck Tim Cook). 

I don't think it was a slur.  But when states like MS, for example, are among the very poorest, most obese, least educated -- and other metrics which are don't look good -- and continually vote against their own interest, electing people who take food out of their mouths, who cut funding to welfare, who do all sorts things against those constituents' interests -- well I DO actually start to question what's going on.

And not to open a whole 'nother can of worms, but I really have no interest in traveling below the Mason-Dixon line again.  I got sick of the Stars and Bars REALLY quickly.  

Quote:

Apparently, there is, on that AND on genital mutilation, since quite a lot of people are involved in both activities.

At any one time there are between 35 and 50 serial killers in the United States.  There are over 16,000 homicides in the United States each year.

That doesn't mean that anyone agrees with those activities (well, other than the psychopaths and sociopaths, etc.).

• Reply 128 of 281

Well, I see that this thread has evolved as per usual...

I wonder if Tim Cook would approve.

• Reply 129 of 281
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    aaronj wrote: »
    I don't think it was a slur.  But when states like MS, for example, are among the very poorest, most obese, least educated -- and other metrics which are don't look good -- and continually vote against their own interest, electing people who take food out of their mouths, who cut funding to welfare, who do all sorts things against those constituents' interests -- well I DO actually start to question what's going on.

And not to open a whole 'nother can of worms, but I really have no interest in traveling below the Mason-Dixon line again.  I got sick of the Stars and Bars REALLY quick

You need to at least get to Dallas to check out the women. Nothin like them in America (I travel quite a bit- and no airport has hotter woman strolling around than Dallas international or love field)- there's not even a close 2nd. ;)
  • Reply 130 of 281
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    aaronj wrote: »
    There's a problem.  They'll fix it.  What's the big deal?  Happens all the time with software, whether from indie developers or the Big Guns.  You're acting like this is the first time a major company has released a buggy version of a program.

Yeesh.

You want another bug since iOS 7 came out? If you start a movie in videos from icloud and don't finish it- and even then sometimes even if you finish- It saves on your iPhone or iPad. Unless you finish the movie- it stores it indefinitely with no way to remove. You stop halfway through and your wife puts on her movie- there's 9gb tied up. God forbid your kid starts a movie then switches it to another because he's halfway through.

6 months that crap still not being fixed is ridiculous. I had to download a program on my imac just to access my phones cloud storage.
  • Reply 131 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You want another bug since iOS 7 came out? If you start a movie in videos from icloud and don't finish it- and even then sometimes even if you finish- It saves on your iPhone or iPad. Unless you finish the movie- it stores it indefinitely with no way to remove. You stop halfway through and your wife puts on her movie- there's 9gb tied up. God forbid your kid starts a movie then switches it to another because he's halfway through.

6 months that crap still not being fixed is ridiculous. I had to download a program on my imac just to access my phones cloud storage.

That does sound bad.  I've never encountered it, just because I've never been in that situation.  

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You need to at least get to Dallas to check out the women. Nothin like them in America (I travel quite a bit- and no airport has hotter woman strolling around than Dallas international or love field)- there's not even a close 2nd. image

Nah.  There are exactly 4 places below the M-D Line I am at all interested in visiting: Miami, Austin, New Orleans, and possibly Lakeland, FL one day, because that's where my Detroit Tigers have Spring Training.

But I'll keep that in mind. :)

• Reply 132 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, I see that this thread has evolved as per usual...

I wonder if Tim Cook would approve.

There wasn't anywhere near enough info in the article to sustain 130 messages On-Topic.  It was bound to start fading into Off-Topic territory pretty early.  It's not like Apple released a new OS or something.

• Reply 133 of 281
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    That'll be a loosing battle. You can't force everyone on iOS to use it, people are used to google. They even made it into a verb... Yeah you have a choice to switch out of google, but who the hell used bing now? I mentioned in another post, the money is in ads, and apple has iAds

I use Bing because I like it better 80 percent of the time. First, I like the homepage. The changing picture with related facts is fun. I also like the way the stories of interest are layed out. Second, Google borrowed Bing's superior way of displaying images. Third, in a side by side blind comparison I generally pick Bings results two out if three times. Fourth, Bing gives me points I can use at places like Starbucks and Amazon.

Further Googles claim to fame was not mixing ads with search results like everybody else was doing at the time. Now Google has adopted the annoying mix ads with search results behavior of the companies it surpassed.

Bing is a superior search engine most of the time unless you are searching for certain technical things.

I think Microsoft should spin Bing off and allow Apple to partner up on it.
  • Reply 134 of 281
    Are you shittin' me?

A company like Apple that is supposed to be a producer of premium products puts out a buggy release of Safari and you think that is being focused. Hell, some developers have even called the release "sloppy".

... and that's okay with you.

Pet peeve? Okay, man, sure... whatever.

But it is OK for Google to keep releasing Beta products?
  • Reply 135 of 281
    Baa, How did my comment get deleted? All I did was say something positive about America. :-( that's the last time I ever do that.
  • Reply 136 of 281
    rogifan wrote: »
    Fact is the name Europe is not a name created by Americans. It existed long before the United States did. So that comment was dumb and took away from his larger more accurate point.

Americans think of themselves as American. That implies a great unity for USA. Europeans don't think of themselves as European. They think of themselves as English, French, Italian etc. Fragmented.

Politically, Europe is a complete mess. In that respect, Tim Cook's comparison to Android is apt.
  • Reply 137 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I use Bing because I like it better 80 percent of the time. First, I like the homepage. The changing picture with related facts is fun. I also like the way the stories of interest are layed out. Second, Google borrowed Bing's superior way of displaying images. Third, in a side by side blind comparison I generally pick Bings results two out if three times. Fourth, Bing gives me points I can use at places like Starbucks and Amazon.

Further Googles claim to fame was not mixing ads with search results like everybody else was doing at the time. Now Google has adopted the annoying mix ads with search results behavior of the companies it surpassed.

Bing is a superior search engine most of the time unless you are searching for certain technical things.

I think Microsoft should spin Bing off and allow Apple to partner up on it.

I generally prefer Google results (perhaps I am more used to them), but I agree that mixing ads with search results is really horrible.

• Reply 138 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Google's argument is that it is OK because their products are generally free. Safari may be free, but it is really a (crucial) part of Apple's operating systems.

• Reply 139 of 281
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    marubeni wrote: »
    Google's argument is that it is OK because their products are generally free. Safari may be free, but it is really a (crucial) part of Apple's operating systems.
    Apple's non professional software is free too. But that's not to excuse the Safari bug which needs to be fixed like yesterday.
  • Reply 140 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

??????????