Blockchain CEO calls Apple 'gatekeeper to innovation,' says Bitcoin app removal signals payments pus

Comments

• Reply 101 of 196
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/09/us-russia-bitcoin-idUSBREA1806620140209

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/russian-authorities-say-bitcoin-illegal?ocid=newssocial

Just because everyone abusing it is not going to jail does not mean it is legal.

Ah, illegal in Russia, but so are a lot of things (homosexuality, for example - so Apple blocks the gay dating apps in Russia).   Apple has to follow the laws of each country, they already have infrastructure in place to block things on a per-country basis.

Having something be illegal in some other country is not a good reason to block it in the US.

• Reply 102 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Did you mean controlled substance?

Yes. My bath salts much be wearing off.
  • Reply 103 of 196
    e1618978 wrote: »
    Having something be illegal in some other country is not a good reason to block it in the US.

You stated it wasn't illegal. It being illegal in one place proves that it is illegal and in no way means it's not legal in at least one other place.

In regards to Apple are you now saying they don't have the right to protect their business and should only stop allowing bitcoin apps when the Supreme Court makes them or Congress passes a bill? Really?! Do you not think companies have the right to protect themselves? Do you really not see where this going?
  • Reply 104 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You stated it wasn't illegal. It being illegal in one place proves that it is illegal and in no way means it's not legal in at least one other place.

In regards to Apple are you now saying they don't have the right to protect their business and should only stop allowing bitcoin apps when the Supreme Court makes them or Congress passes a bill? Really?! Do you not think companies have the right to protect themselves? Do you really not see where this going?

If you say "bit coin is illegal" without qualification, it is natural to assume you mean "illegal in the US".  So the original statement is misleading.

I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   I realize that you don't agree, but I don't think your arguments have any merit.

• Reply 105 of 196
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Do the charges specifically use the term money without any further qualification or alternative terminologies to include any medium of exchange, or is that just a website's reporting on the arrest?

He was also hit with a 'money laundering' charge, so it would give bitcoin some legitimacy as money or legal tender.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/01/27/feds-charge-bitcoin-start-up-founder-with-money-laundering/
  • Reply 106 of 196
    If you say "bit coin is illegal" without qualification, it is natural to assume you mean "illegal in the US".  So the original statement is misleading.

I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   I realize that you don't agree, but I don't think your arguments have any merit.

1) I agree that it should be qualified which I did in my first response to you with the use of legal tender, which is what Apple accepts as payments for each country it runs its iTS.

2) You don't think Apple is protecting themselves but then in that very same sentence you create a scenario where Apple would be protecting themselves.

3) You created a scenario that you can't prove and have nothing to even make a halfway decent hypothesis so you've then manipulated it to mean that Apple is being anticompetitive. You haven't even made an argument as to why you think Apple needs PayPal, how PayPal competes with bitcoin, or how Apple buying PayPal (which I think is very unlikely and unnecessary) would mean they can't allow other apps. PayPal has legitimate competitors and yet all those service are still on the App Store. The only reasonable answer is the one you are choosing to ignore.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    He was also hit with a 'money laundering' charge, so it would give bitcoin some legitimacy as money or legal tender.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/01/27/feds-charge-bitcoin-start-up-founder-with-money-laundering/

How does laundering money legitimize it? It's the same as using uncut diamonds to launder money. It's simply a means to an end.
  • Reply 107 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) You don't think Apple is protecting themselves but then in that very same sentence you create a scenario where Apple would be protecting themselves.

Protecting themselves from competition in exactly the same way as Microsoft did when they bundled IE with Windows...

• Reply 108 of 196

Protecting themselves from competition in exactly the same way as Microsoft did when they bundled IE with Windows...

1) This was debunked already as being a foolish analogy.

2) Again, your argument is plain wrong that even calling it specious would be going it too much credit. Let me know what Apple removes all apps that allow one to transfer funds to someone else, not just bitcoin apps, and you'll have a position you can finally defend.
  • Reply 109 of 196

I said this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   

And you followed up with this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When you said "Apple is protecting themselves" in that context, the only possible meaning is "protection from competition".

• Reply 110 of 196
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Oh, ok, left is right and up is down.

I’ll just wait until you read the post again.

• Reply 111 of 196
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How does laundering money legitimize it? It's the same as using uncut diamonds to launder money. It's simply a means to an end.

You're correct, I didn't see it from that POV.
  • Reply 112 of 196
    I said this:

And you followed up with this:

When you said "Apple is protecting themselves" in that context, the only possible meaning is "protection from competition".

protecting is defined as to "keep safe from harm or injury" which is the status quo for business. What you're suggesting isn't protection but an offensive measure that is illegal. That's a very different thing.

Again, let me know what Apple bans all apps that allow for payments to be transferred unless they go through Apple's server, which include my Starbucks app.
  • Reply 113 of 196

I think this argument is coming to an end. We have a group of people who don't understand bitcoin and refuse to educate themselves on it, using hypocritical arguments to justify Apple's equally hypocritical decision and ad hominems against anyone who disagrees.

• Reply 114 of 196
    sog35 wrote: »
    Explain to me how apple benefits from having bit coin apps.
    The risks are as plain as day.

Convince me that the benefits to apple outweigh the risk......

Apple is in the business to make money. It is not their responsibility to make sure bitcoin suceedes

I guess I can understand how anti-government types with an Androidian love for the term open can ignore these obvious risks to major corporations, but I what I don't get is how Apple's obvious reasoning is then transmogrified into some nefarious, anti-competitive scheme that now equates to removing all payment methods from the App Store and some plot to buy PayPal.
  • Reply 115 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Explain to me how apple benefits from having bit coin apps.

The risks are as plain as day.

Convince me that the benefits to apple outweigh the risk......

Apple is in the business to make money. It is not their responsibility to make sure bitcoin suceedes

What risks? Seriously - It's. not. illegal. How many other ways can I say it?

Explain to me how apple benefits from having personal banking apps.

The risks for fiat currency are as plain as day.

• Reply 116 of 196
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

You do realize Windows had 90% of the market. iOS doesn't have even half of that (or so the media says)
  • Reply 117 of 196
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I’ll just wait until you read the post again.
    Read it. Same result. Apple have removed all BitCoin apps from their App Store, blocking users from using BitCoin in a native app on their platform. The web isn't Apples platform, so web apps don't count. Apple have placed roadblocks in the way of users using BitCoin.

Now respond properly, not like a surly teenager.
  • Reply 118 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Can you interview the inventor of banks or credit cards, [other meh]?

I suspect that John C. Biggins, of Flatbush National Bank, is already dead (http://bit.ly/1o7ECov). But I'm sure he wouldn't have mind to give an interview to you around 1947. Sheesh...

• Reply 119 of 196

So far, most of the ignorant comments here seem to be from the bitcoiners. You guys seem to have a basic misunderstanding of the role of money in a macro-economy. (Hint: Legitimate 'money' is both a medium of exchange and a store of value -- all your pro-bitcoin arguments are solely focused on the former).

If you’d like to learn a bit more about why it’s not ready for prime-yet – it may get there at some point in the future, but many questions need to be answered – I’d highly recommend your reading this short and substantive piece and the links in there (trust me, it’s not political in the least): http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/bitcoin-is-evil/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

• Reply 120 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Ah, illegal in Russia, but so are a lot of things (homosexuality, for example ....

Don't spread FUD. Homosexuality was decriminalized in Russia in 1993.