Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 187
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

I just went back and added a finger again and turned on Touch ID. Once again, the Require Passcode setting changed from a list of times to a single option: Immediately. Remember, this is not "Auto-Lock", it's the time-spent-locked before the passcode (or finger scan) is required to unlock the phone. Unlock the phone before that time period and no passcode is required. With Touch ID enabled, you MUST scan your finger EVERY TIME YOU UNLOCK, even if the phone is locked for 1 second...

(I am on 7.0.4)

So set the time interval for when it will lock. That would appear to be an equivalent route for a similar security functionality. Logically the phone is only "locked" when the passcode or TouchID is needed to "un-lock" the device. You're right, as for myself, I'm not aware of a simple screen dimming/blackout feature...

ETA: just saw that "require passcode after...". Hadn't ever used it, just set the autolock time interval. I still think the phone is only "locked" if you require a key-equivalent to get "in", otherwise it's the opposite of "locked"....

• Reply 182 of 187
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

So set the time interval for when it will lock. That would appear to be an equivalent route for a similar security functionality. Logically the phone is only "locked" when the passcode or TouchID is needed to "un-lock" the device. You're right, as for myself, I'm not aware of a simple screen dimming/blackout feature...

ETA: just saw that "require passcode after...". Hadn't ever used it, just set the autolock time interval. I still think the phone is only "locked" if you require a key-equivalent to get "in", otherwise it's the opposite of "locked"....

I know people who like to keep their iOS device's screen on at almost all times. I prefer to keep my screen off at all times I'm not actively using it. But since I turn off the screen so often, it becomes tedious to "unlock" the phone every single time I want to turn the screen back on if it's been off for only a couple seconds.

• Reply 183 of 187
    Quote:

I know people who like to keep their iOS device's screen on at almost all times. I prefer to keep my screen off at all times I'm not actively using it. But since I turn off the screen so often, it becomes tedious to "unlock" the phone every single time I want to turn the screen back on if it's been off for only a couple seconds.

But what's "tedious"? The Touch ID "unlock" action is essentially the same as "pressing the home button to power on the screen".

You're complaining about having to do something that you'd have to do anyway. The "Touch ID unlock" adds a few milliseconds of delay at most... in fact, most of the time I don't even notice any delay at all. Press briefly and release (but leave your finger on the home button briefly). It unlocks to the home screen instantly almost every time for me.

I don't have to alter my behavior at all. And the tiny bit that I "notice" now and then (the occasional half-second delay) is a very small trade-off for the increased convenience and security...

• Reply 184 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

But what's "tedious"? The Touch ID "unlock" action is essentially the same as "pressing the home button to power on the screen".

You're complaining about having to do something that you'd have to do anyway. The "Touch ID unlock" adds a few milliseconds of delay at most... in fact, most of the time I don't even notice any delay at all. Press briefly and release (but leave your finger on the home button briefly). It unlocks to the home screen instantly almost every time for me.

I don't have to alter my behavior at all. And the tiny bit that I "notice" now and then (the occasional half-second delay) is a very small trade-off for the increased convenience and security...

My bigger complaint is that there are restrictions to what skin surfaces you can use.

• Reply 185 of 187
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

My bigger complaint is that there are restrictions to what skin surfaces you can use.

TMI

:)

• Reply 186 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

TMI

:)

I don't believe that you've never used your knuckle or the corner of your palm to press the home button before. That covers 100% of the non-fingertip surfaces I've used...

• Reply 187 of 187
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »

Missed this post 3 months back. Anyway, I like the orange on a white one:

Though $249 is a bit steep...