50th anniversary of Beatles on Ed Sullivan celebrated with new Apple TV channel

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Commemorating 50 years since legendary band The Beatles appeared on "The Ed Sullivan Show," the Apple TV was given a quiet update on Monday, featuring content from the band available on iTunes, along with the band's landmark U.S. television appearance in 1964.

Beatles

The new channel, simply named "The Beatles," is now available on users' Apple TV home screens. The widescreen icon is a screencap showing the "Fab Four" in their first appearance on Sullivan's program in 1964.

Beatles

It was 50 years ago Sunday, on Feb. 9, 1964, that 60 percent of American TVs tuned in to watch The Beatles make their U.S. television debut on "Sullivan." That event is considered a milestone in American culture, bringing about the "Beatlemania" craze that swept the nation.

The new Beatles channel on Apple TV features the band's historic debut performance on Sullivan's program, available to stream for free. The 14-minute performance from New York City is presented in its entirety for a limited time.

Beatles

The new channel also promotes the availability of all of The Beatles' U.S. albums, which are available for purchase on iTunes digitally for the first time. The same content, including the performance on "Ed Sullivan," is also available on Mac or PC via the iTunes Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Steve WOULD have done this.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    We are so sick of the Beatles in the UK. Every single event they get the aged Sir Paul McCartney to sing one of the Beatles collection of nursery rhymes to the jubilant crowds. Please retire and save us all. Arghh. Hope my ATV doesn't auto upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 46

Awesome!

• Reply 4 of 46
    good move Apple

they should add the special last night for sale - amazing - Ringo proved why he is a Beatle - OUTSTANDING!

Paul - on dvd for tonight!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    zaba wrote: »
    We are so sick of the Beatles in the UK. Every single event they get the aged Sir Paul McCartney to sing one of the Beatles collection of nursery rhymes to the jubilant crowds. Please retire and save us all. Arghh. Hope my ATV doesn't auto upgrade.

The UK has had phenomenal acts come out of that country. And the beetles are the best to ever come out. Not my cup of tea, but you HAVE to support them. I don't want them to stop, nor the stones. It's not like Paul is doing rock songs- he can keep it going.

Eventually they'll all be dead and millions will wish they could see them again.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    andysol wrote: »
    The UK has had phenomenal acts come out of that country. And the beetles are the best to ever come out. Not my cup of tea, but you HAVE to support them. I don't want them to stop, nor the stones. It's not like Paul is doing rock songs- he can keep it going.

Eventually they'll all be dead and millions will wish they could see them again.

I don't HAVE to support them and I am speaking subjectively, and don't speak for the whole of the UK.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Then why say "We are so sick of the Beatles in the UK."? It sounded like you were claiming to speak for the whole country.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Quote:

I don't HAVE to support them and I am speaking subjectively, and don't speak for the whole of the UK.

When you say ..."save us all"  it certainly sounds like you are speaking for the whole of the UK.

But, you also say the crowds are "jubilant."  Guess they indeed don't agree with you.

Except for a few glimmers, I for one, thought the show was sorely lacking until Paul and Ringo took the stage.

• Reply 9 of 46

Well then go s_d yrself, w_nker.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    danielsw wrote: »
    Well then go s_d yrself, w_nker.
    When I have finished s_dding myself and w_nking I'll listen to some real musicians.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    When I have finished s_dding myself and w_nking I'll listen to some real musicians.

I would think a real Englishman could do both at the same time.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    flaneur wrote: »
    I would think a real Englishman could do both at the same time.
    I'm only half English.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Then why say "We are so sick of the Beatles in the UK."? It sounded like you were claiming to speak for the whole country.
    I apologise for my earlier flippant post, which I did correct. I am speaking only for myself and I am sick of the Beatles and Paul McCartney. Surely I don't have to like them? There are far better musicians on this planet that I prefer to admire.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I apologise for my earlier flippant post, which I did correct. I am speaking only for myself and I am sick of the Beatles and Paul McCartney. Surely I don't have to like them? There are far better musicians on this planet that I prefer to admire.

I see your point, and I feel the same way about some U.S. exports that are downright embarrassing. Big cars, SUVs, violent Hollywood movies.

Cross-Cultural Tolerance Differential (CCTD) example: when Brits come to the U.S., they frequently buy a big American car, preferably something like a pink Cadillac, something truly horrible to those of us who are so over big cars.

When Americans go to the UK, they do standout gaffes like buying a Barbour Thornproof.

But the Beatles, In their time, for their time, they were the first to do good ecumenical rock and roll, and some of their later writing stands on its own as great music. Can't be denied.

Ringo's still the wise survivor, John a terrible loss. Paul—too much exposure.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Its a shame your admiration is limited, so if a new musician arrived that you admired, you would then have to stop admiring one of your current ones?

Try to put the Beatles in the context of the time they arrived - they did much, wrote much and sang much that can be admired - not all of it certainly. If you never admired them - too bad for you - if you did and now don't what did they do (presumably after 50% of them died) that changed your view...

all you need is love, love is all you need

• Reply 16 of 46

I think you're remiss for not admiring them, which is no the same as liking them or their music.The Beatles are undoubtedly an important part of music and musicians you do admire (assuming you don't only listen to Big Bang, Jazz, or Classic from the 1950s or earlier). It's like not understanding what Charlie Chaplin did for the movie industry even though his films are woefully inferior and simplistic compared to what is possible today. If you admire that came after The Beatles it's likely they were inspired by them.

• Reply 17 of 46

Real musicians? Like Justin Bieber? 

• Reply 18 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ringo's still the wise survivor, John a terrible loss. Paul—too much exposure.

I think George should be included in the terrible loss category as well. Have a re-listen to the "All Things Must Pass" album when you get a chance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:

Its a shame your admiration is limited, so if a new musician arrived that you admired, you would then have to stop admiring one of your current ones?

Try to put the Beatles in the context of the time they arrived - they did much, wrote much and sang much that can be admired - not all of it certainly. If you never admired them - too bad for you - if you did and now don't what did they do (presumably after 50% of them died) that changed your view...

all you need is love, love is all you need

I think I understand how zaba feels although I agree his first remark came across rather flippant.  A lot of the Beatles music that I admired when it was released, sounds really superficial to me today, some just awful. A few songs have stood the test of time but I certainly wouldn't want to listen to them on a daily basis. Some bring back good memories, but I don't have much desire to relive my youth or reminisce on the past. There is a lot of great new music but it is hard to find. For those who are looking for a good internet radio station I always recommend Radio Paradise. They have a really good mix of old, new and eclectic music... and no ads.

• Reply 19 of 46
    pikester wrote: »
    Real musicians? Like <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Justin Bieber? </span>
    Not exactly, real musicians like these...
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Not exactly, real musicians like these...

Real musicians are defined by those doing covers of Britney Spears songs? You don't think anyone else in the Beatles could do a cover for Britney Spears song?