Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices

Comments

• Reply 201 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Categories - plural... mmm... this should give us plenty of opportunity for speculation, which regardless we're always capable of engaging in. :)

Sure does, but I'm just wondering if what he's really saying is "New Product" categories for Apple. Otherwise there isn't anything that isn't being done now by their competition in anything. Wearables? ....they've all been covered from smartwatches, NFC badges, communications wearables in the form of Glass both Samsung and Google are working on, Google in car products, Samsung in Home, Google in with Chromecast now as it's own platform and with developers raving about the possibilities there.  Samsung basically now owns the future of Screens (YOUM) and SmartTV's. Tablets are becoming more like Phablets you can make calls with and carry everywhere, like a phone. Everybody and his brother are now making a smartwatches. On top of that no telling what Google is going to come up with after buying NEST and ripping off Apple's own brain trust employees in the deal!

But.... there is one area I can see Apple going into or announcing that's completely off the charts..... different than what we'd expect That's in the server market.... not just any old servers either. I'm talking about ARM servers running on chip designs they got with PA Semi purchase. I'm talking about not just the PWRficient 64bit SoC (A7 is based on) designs either. I'm talking about PWRficient 64bit RISC Processors with up to 16 cores PA Semi already had in development. I was wondering last year if Apple was going to seal a deal in buying IBM's Fishkill Fabrication Plant last year to replace Samsung and start work on producing chips for these new future Servers and iDevices.  I think with IBM hiring out a study on just who will end up with their chip fabrication Plants, just might be Apple afterall! 

They can then legitimately challenge both Intel and Samsung in their own element...... their own field of expertise. That being producing their own chips and having them assembled somewhere stateside too! 

Granted..... this isn't wearables, but that's expected and wouldn't be a completely new enterprise or market with iPod nano already being able to be used as smartwatch of sorts. But chip making and server production and sales....... certainly would be a shocking new development that could send share prices above $1000!

btw.... (only joking) only thing new in smart wearables may be if Apple comes out with a Maxwell Smart Agent iPhone in a shoe?!?! lol.... which probably wouldn't be too Smart even for Apple! *_^

• Reply 202 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Here is what happened to me in the last year.

1) driving in London. Policeman waves cars over, I am in front and stop, they put down a barrier and errect temporary lights to make the two lane street a one lane street. Explain how the google car would handle this.

2) driving country roads in Ireland, travelling at 50mph I see a sign which has been pretty much turned to face the ditch, in a fraction of a second though I recognise enough colour and shape to assume Men At Work, slow down around the next corner and see a local worker holding a sign ( not lights) for stop and no other barriers. I stop. Cars go by, he gets a message on his phone, turns the sign green, I move onto the right ( i.e. The wrong) side of the road until another guy waves me back a few miles on.

There is no way google will get this right in all cases and since getting it wrong kills people it won't happen.

I beg to differ. Somebody is gonna get it right, and it dosent look to be apple at this point (they're too busy trying to iOS for the car right)

• Reply 203 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

1. Do you actually drive?  Driverless cars will (do) exist.  That has NOTHING to do with whether or not (in this case, not) they will be allowed on public roads.  My point about F1 was that just because something can be created, and just because something can be bought, has nothing to do with whether or not you can drive it on a public road.

2. Factories have been mechanized for decades.  Some things, however, robots are not well-suited to.  And you do realize that your "maybe in America" statement makes absolutely no sense, right?  If they are all robots doing the work, who gives a damn?  That doesn't create jobs.

3. The iPhone is technological hardware.  You know, with a screen, a processor, memory, storage, etc.  The only difference between an iPhone and, say, a MacBook Pro is the iPhone is smaller and it makes phone calls by connecting to cellular network.  The iPhone was totally in Apple's wheelhouse, because it is tech hardware -- you know, the business that Apple's involved in?

Cars, otoh, are not in any way part of their business.  Ford was incorporated in 1903.  Why not leave automobiles to the people who have been making them for over a century?

I mean, should Apple start making refrigerators too?  What about golf clubs?  Maybe they should design lingerie and compete with VS?

1. yes buddy I drive, you seem to be have very strong views of some things and I have learned in my life to be very weary of people who use the words Never and Always too often. I say we will (certainly the 90% autonomous car) in our life time, you say we will not, ever. OK lets see what happens..

2. Factories have been mechanized for decades. I can agree with that statement yes. Google has been on a robot company buying spree and I am fairly confident this aint for seach related activities. They have stated its for revolutionalizing factories and I have no reason not to believe them. Logic states that they put all the resources to make the process faster, cheaper, better and replace the existing mechanization of factories

3. IMHO Apple has to venture into new arenas and markets, more importantly internet services and the cloud. A phone 30 years ago used to be a dumb big black box and now its a sophisticated computer. The car is bigger bumb box, tesla and google driverless shows us it should be a sophisticated computer thus its totally in Apples wheelhouse. It should be. I refuse to accept that the biggest company in the world with the best recourses in the world wont think this big or even bigger.

• Reply 204 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

1. Do you actually drive?  Driverless cars will (do) exist.  That has NOTHING to do with whether or not (in this case, not) they will be allowed on public roads.  My point about F1 was that just because something can be created, and just because something can be bought, has nothing to do with whether or not you can drive it on a public road.

2. Factories have been mechanized for decades.  Some things, however, robots are not well-suited to.  And you do realize that your "maybe in America" statement makes absolutely no sense, right?  If they are all robots doing the work, who gives a damn?  That doesn't create jobs.

3. The iPhone is technological hardware.  You know, with a screen, a processor, memory, storage, etc.  The only difference between an iPhone and, say, a MacBook Pro is the iPhone is smaller and it makes phone calls by connecting to cellular network.  The iPhone was totally in Apple's wheelhouse, because it is tech hardware -- you know, the business that Apple's involved in?

Cars, otoh, are not in any way part of their business.  Ford was incorporated in 1903.  Why not leave automobiles to the people who have been making them for over a century?

I mean, should Apple start making refrigerators too?  What about golf clubs?  Maybe they should design lingerie and compete with VS?

forgot to answer this question

Why not leave automobiles to the people who have been making them for over a century? 

I could leave it unanswered as rhetorical but could not help myself answering

Cause in the most part they have been doing a shitty job that why.

Alternative answer.

Tell that to Elon Musk 

• Reply 205 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Me too. Hence this post.

No. It is even unlikely that even the military, which really needs driverless cars will have them in 10 years.

It's nice that Google is funding the DARPA grand challenge winner but the innovation award belongs elsewhere. Like DARPA.

Something NeXT was doing in the 80s.

Apple is innovative when driving toward their goals and they are very focused on their objectives.

MS has done more UI and touch research than Apple. They employ some of the biggest guns in multitouch research at MS Research.

Which company was more innovative in multitouch? Apple or MS?

Same for many of Googles initiatives. Instead of just papers they want publicity but how many of them pan out?

My source on 90% driverless cars in 10 years is Elon Musk, I follow him closely and I strongly believe he must know more than you and I do on this.

About Multitouch. MS have their own research and apple did a pretty good job with their multitouch work. Apple as far as I can tell is not in cars nor robotics nor other cool stuff at all. And I think it should be in some of them.. not all, just some.

About Googles initiatives. Some pan out. And its OK with apple being more meticulous with their work and only releasing a product when its ready vs google witch releases products semi finished. But there are disadvantages to waiting as well. Some examples

google docs has been around for 3 years, apple just released its cloud solution and it still lacks vs googles. I can wait forever apple. I will eventually die

gmail vs apple cloud mail is another example.. apple might be slightly better but who cars? I have been using googles for ages and got ton of email there I am not gonna switch. Apple struggled to get this right and now a ton of people are on the gmail bandwagon and I dont see that changing anytime soon

example #2 on google

google + .. if you ask me its better than facebook, it has a more clean uncluttered feel to it. whats the problem then? One and its deadly, no one uses it. google was deadly late to the game.

• Reply 206 of 223
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

3. IMHO Apple has to venture into new arenas and markets, more importantly internet services and the cloud. A phone 30 years ago used to be a dumb big black box and now its a sophisticated computer. The car is bigger bumb box, tesla and google driverless shows us it should be a sophisticated computer thus its totally in Apples wheelhouse. It should be. I refuse to accept that the biggest company in the world with the best recourses in the world wont think this big or even bigger.

People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.

—Steve Jobs, Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, May 13–16, 1997

I would be surprised if Apple DNA did not still have this mindset.

• Reply 207 of 223
    Quote:

People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.

I did not say make everything. I said make some things. For apple to grow from the gigantic proportions it has reached it has to venture and revolutionalize some other markets. Id love to see the coolest company in the world make tesla-like cars for instance. so basically Im saying say yes to 1 new thing every maybe few years, thats all im saying... by all means dont be samsung,

• Reply 208 of 223
    Quote:

I dont see you commenting on the other points in my post.

I am an apple fan but I like to give credit where its due and because I love apple I feel I should criticise it and expect much from it.

For the life of me I cannot understand how it screwed up in icould verion of spreadsheet and the other apps. was it not in its DNA? wtf?

What took apple so many years to get going and still lag google on its proposition is beyond me. same for email

• Reply 209 of 223
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

I refuse to accept that the biggest company in the world with the best recourses in the world wont think this big or even bigger.

I suspect Apple does NOT have the best resources in the world, at least human.

It doesn't sound like a particularly fun place to work, heavily restricted and run by bitchy executives, and lacking the amenities and recreational perks of a Pixar or Google. Then there's that report cited here a few months ago indicating that Apple engineers are not paid very well compared to their equivalents at other companies in the area. Such conditions may lead to the "best" people taking a pass on Apple and accepting work elsewhere.

Honestly, the state of Apple's software development makes me think that's the case.

• Reply 210 of 223
    Quote:

I did not say make everything. I said make some things. For apple to grow from the gigantic proportions it has reached it has to venture and revolutionalize some other markets. Id love to see the coolest company in the world make tesla-like cars for instance. so basically Im saying say yes to 1 new thing every maybe few years, thats all im saying... by all means dont be samsung,

The software and services that Apple creates is primarily driven to sell hardware.

It strikes me as an amusing proposition to make cars in order to sell iPhones and Macs.

• Reply 211 of 223
    Quote:

The software and services that Apple creates is primarily driven to sell hardware.

It strikes me as an amusing proposition to make cars in order to sell iPhones and Macs.

your point is off.... cars is hardware. make cars to sell cars, software included for free, as always.

• Reply 212 of 223
    Quote:

I dont see you commenting on the other points in my post.

When I don't comment on something it typically means I don't have anything new to say about it.

Quote:

I am an apple fan but I like to give credit where its due and because I love apple I feel I should criticise it and expect much from it.

For the life of me I cannot understand how it screwed up in icould verion of spreadsheet and the other apps. was it not in its DNA? wtf?

What took apple so many years to get going and still lag google on its proposition is beyond me. same for email

Have you noticed that iWork and iLife are now free?  Have you noticed that FCPX is a mere $300?  iCloud is also free.  What is in Apple's DNA is that profit comes from selling really good hardware supported by a rich and unique, but low cost, ecosystem.  

And screwing up cloud services is evidently very much part of Apple's DNA.  I have a .mac email address.

Besides, from my perspective Apple didn't screw up iWorks in the cloud, especially since they have the beta label slapped on it which is something Apple rarely does and Google does all the time.

• Reply 213 of 223
    Quote:

When I don't comment on something it typically means I don't have anything new to say about it.

Have you noticed that iWork and iLife are now free?  Have you noticed that FCPX is a mere $300?  iCloud is also free.  What is in Apple's DNA is that profit comes from selling really good hardware supported by a rich and unique, but low cost, ecosystem.  

And screwing up cloud services is evidently very much part of Apple's DNA.  I have a .mac email address.

Besides, from my perspective Apple didn't screw up iWorks in the cloud, especially since they have the beta label slapped on it which is something Apple rarely does and Google does all the time.

google docs is free and its been out for 3 years, dont know maybe more? so is gmail ... and please dont say add supported cause i dont give a rats ass, it works and has been working for years now period.

my point exactly, by the time the get it out to market (about iworks being in beta) ill be needing it to record my pension slips (im in my 40s now)

• Reply 214 of 223

One of the first things he said when he returned to Apple is one of the first things Apple reaffirmed after he was gone for good.

Anyone who thinks the company isn’t sound has invalidated their position.

• Reply 215 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

1. yes buddy I drive, you seem to be have very strong views of some things and I have learned in my life to be very weary of people who use the words Never and Always too often. I say we will (certainly the 90% autonomous car) in our life time, you say we will not, ever. OK lets see what happens..

2. Factories have been mechanized for decades. I can agree with that statement yes. Google has been on a robot company buying spree and I am fairly confident this aint for seach related activities. They have stated its for revolutionalizing factories and I have no reason not to believe them. Logic states that they put all the resources to make the process faster, cheaper, better and replace the existing mechanization of factories

1. Well, maybe your lifetime will be longer than mine.  I'm 44, drink a lot, and I smoke.  So my days are already limited. :)

2. "... and I have no reason not to believe them."  Oh, when it comes to Google, I have all sorts of reasons not believe whatever it is they are saying this week.  When it comes to Google, ask yourself, "Does this help them sell more ads?"  If the answer is yes, then it will be something they seriously pursue.  If the answer is no, then it will be some rather pointless niche for them to go after, but never really make much of.

3. Again, though, this isn't their business.  Apple's business is hardware.  Google's business is advertising.  Microsoft's business is, with a couple minor exceptions, software.  Etc.  Expanding into areas where one has zero experience is not a good business move.  And you keep talking about how Apple needs to expand into different markets.  Why?  Are people going to stop needing hardware?  Are people going to stop making phone calls?  

• Reply 216 of 223
    aaronj wrote: »
    1. Well, maybe your lifetime will be longer than mine.  I'm 44, drink a lot, and I smoke.  So my days are already limited. :)

2. "... and I have no reason not to believe them."  Oh, when it comes to Google, I have all sorts of reasons not believe whatever it is they are saying this week.  When it comes to Google, ask yourself, "Does this help them sell more ads?"  If the answer is yes, then it will be something they seriously pursue.  If the answer is no, then it will be some rather pointless niche for them to go after, but never really make much of.

3. Again, though, this isn't their business.  Apple's business is hardware.  Google's business is advertising.  Microsoft's business is, with a couple minor exceptions, software.  Etc.  Expanding into areas where one has zero experience is not a good business move.  And you keep talking about how Apple needs to expand into different markets.  Why?  Are people going to stop needing hardware?  Are people going to stop making phone calls?  

Check out the new article on apple and tesla. Looks like apple and I have different views from the ones you expressed. Oh well.
  • Reply 217 of 223
    Gotcha is the name of the game here. Accept it or be gotten.

The many names and faces of TekStud... You'd think someone would've figured out a way to perma-block this troll's IP address by now.
  • Reply 218 of 223
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The many names and faces of TekStud... You'd think someone would've figured out a way to perma-block this troll's IP address by now.

We do. What, you think you can’t change your IP address?

• Reply 219 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Check out the new article on apple and tesla. Looks like apple and I have different views from the ones you expressed. Oh well.

While you could turn out to be right, it's just as likely that this will have little to do with actual automobiles, and far more to do with things like batteries and Musk himself.

• Reply 220 of 223
    aaronj wrote: »
    While you could turn out to be right, it's just as likely that this will have little to do with actual automobiles, and far more to do with things like batteries and Musk himself.
    think different. Disruption in mobile phones happened. One of the next big things is cars. And if you thought mobile phones is huge wait till you see this unfold. I wish apple was a bigger part of it. At least I would like to think they tried.