Mac Pro ship times slip to April as demand continues to outstrip supply

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2014
After launching preorders for the completely redesigned Mac Pro in December it looks as though Apple is still struggling to meet demand, as the company's online store now reflects ship times of April for all configurations.

Mac Pro

When Apple began taking preorders for the redesigned, American-made Mac Pro in late December, pent up demand was such that ship dates for standard configurations quickly slipped from Dec. 30 to February. Stock of build-to-order units were constrained from the outset with ship-by dates quoted as "January."

Since that point, the Mac Pro has been on constant backorder from Apple's own online storefront, though shipping estimates never reached beyond the February time frame. As of Tuesday, however, it appears ship dates are once again sliding for all models, suggesting production has yet to ramp to adequate volumes.

The shortage was first spotted by MacGeneration (via MacWorld), which noted that even standard configuration Mac Pros were showing April ship dates. At the time, the publication reported modified estimates in international markets like China, France, Germany, Japan and the U.K., but the new ship times quickly spread to the U.S and Canada.

Shortly after the first Mac Pro orders arrived, Apple said it was unlikely to see in-store stock until March. That statement may have been optimistic given the Tuesday's updated ship times.

Professional users have been waiting years for Apple to release a revamped Mac Pro and the overall consensus from reviewers has been largely positive. AppleInsider agreed that the black aluminum cylinder was worth the wait, finding it to be the best Mac Apple has ever made.

While Apple may be running low on inventory, authorized resellers like MacMall and Adorama have limited supply of certain configurations as seen in AppleInsider's live Price Guides.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Demand?? What demand? All the whining iHaters and trolls have said since day one that no one wants something that looks like a trash can that can be built with off-the-shelf PC parts in their mommy's basement for $599!!

There can't possibly be demand for this thing??!!! /s
  • Reply 2 of 110
    I'm not sure why this is news.

Is AI going to announce that it slid to May next month, and June in May?

It'd be better news when the backlog actually clears up.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

You may be getting bad news, good news, and any kind of news mixed up.

• Reply 4 of 110

I may not need it, but that does not stop me from wanting it!

• Reply 5 of 110
    Quote:

Yes,

How dare they inform me as to when I might be able to pick up one for myself.

And as an investor... how dare they let me know the status of a hot new product.

• Reply 6 of 110

I want one.

• Reply 7 of 110
    They should have kept production in China. The thing would be shipping in volume by now.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Yet more proof that the Mac Pro comes from the future - that's the only place you can buy one :)

• Reply 9 of 110
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    I agree with Scotty321. There is a reason we let things be built in China, obviously for the cost, but because they are hard at work all the damn time.

Hell, foxxtron works 24/7. But god forbid we made people work at 2am, there would be lawsuits up the ass for Apple for workers comp and people whining.

Just saying, us american's are spoiled. And honestly, a Mac Pro built in America is the same as a Mac Pro built in China. It's only due to left wing whining hippies and liberals that Apple has a due diligence to build things in the USA.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    To the manufacturing twits who know nothing about Advanced Manufacturing, they built a factory that China can't match to make this goddamn machine. It's demand is solid and the system is state-of-the-art.

No number of extra cheap laborers will make the product go faster.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yet more proof that the Mac Pro comes from the future - that's the only place you can buy one :)

I finally saw the Mac Pro at the Apple store in SF for the first time.  That think really does look like it does not belong in this time.  It's wicked and I so want one but alas, even my wallet is feeling a little squirmish at the thought of shelling out the money.

The rep was demoing it to a prospective customer.  As they were hammering the machine, I placed my hand over the vent and could barely register any heat from the thing.  That's some impressive cooling going on in there.

• Reply 12 of 110
    I am so hoping that someone or even Apple makes a Transparent Aluminium casing! The insides of this beast demand exposure. http://makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/
  • Reply 13 of 110
    This thing is so fast! I was writing a book on one and when I was about halfway through the first chapter, it was printing out the last few pages of the end of the book.

That's some kind of FAST!
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Quote:

If you can afford one or if you are buying one, especially one that is a custom configuration, this is news!   It is unknown when the backlog may clear up.  The news is if you are serious about buying one and haven't done so already, pull the trigger and get in line!    

• Reply 15 of 110
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Sad to see Apple struggling with supply issues with both the iMac and Mac Pro. 

I think the Mac could really win over a lot of people if the prices were slightly lower, and supply issues fixed. I´m guessing Apple will eventually figure it out for future models. They are leaving a lot of money on the table here.

• Reply 16 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    To the manufacturing twits who know nothing about Advanced Manufacturing, they built a factory that China can't match to make this goddamn machine. It's demand is solid and the system is state-of-the-art.

No number of extra cheap laborers will make the product go faster.

I guess they didn't see the video that shows how automated a lot of this stuff is.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Have to say, that I think it's funny that now that all of the PC makers have moved away from 'towers' and finally copied (albeit very poorly) the iMac's all-in-one styling, what does Apple do? Release an awesome mini-tower that everyone wants!
  • Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Demand?? What demand? All the whining iHaters and trolls have said since day one that no one wants something that looks like a trash can that can be built with off-the-shelf PC parts in their mommy's basement for $599!!

There can't possibly be demand for this thing??!!! /s

Don't waste your time with amateurish sarcasm. Just what do you think you've accomplished?

• Reply 19 of 110

Nice to see pent-up demand finally met. This is a beautiful piece of engineering.

• Reply 20 of 110
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Uh maybe because this is AppleInsider? At least they're not reporting when someone at Samsung took a dump as they usually do, when nobody cares. A backlog is just as much of news as when it clears up. People would probably like to know about a backlog.