Mac Pro ship times slip to April as demand continues to outstrip supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Sad to see Apple struggling with supply issues with both the iMac and Mac Pro. 

I think the Mac could really win over a lot of people if the prices were slightly lower, and supply issues fixed. I´m guessing Apple will eventually figure it out for future models. They are leaving a lot of money on the table here.

People are already buying more Macs than PCs. Apple is not in a race to see how cheap of a Mac they can make. I can't necessarily say Apple doesn't care how many they sell, but it from what both Steve and Tim have said in the past, its quality over quantity, not the other way around. This is something that has worked for them in the past, and I have to believe will continue to work. 

The Mac Pro can't possibly get any cheaper. I'm surprised they're actually making money off the every MacPro sold. The dual graphics cards alone are damn near the cost of the low end MacPro. 

The price of the iMac is consistent of what it has been for years and yet, they still sell them very well. Apple doesn't have to sell 10 million Macs to declare themselves successful. Like I said they're already gaining marketshare in a time when some big players are deciding to get out of the PC business because its not worth it to them anymore. To me, this is what is making the Mac a success already. 

• Reply 22 of 110

PC Pro magazine in UK ( used to be Mac haters of course ) gave the Mac Pro a glowing review and used terms like 'truly impressive feat of engineering' , 'unparalleled triumph' and 'competitive on Price' ...  Gave it 6/6 stars for performance and features/design , value for money 5/6 :-)

It really was a glowing review....  

It's funny, they now have Apple products in their 'A-list' of best buys!  Best All-In-One = iMac 27" , Best Full size tablet  = iPad Air  , Enthusiast Laptop = Macbook Pro 13 with retina,  quite a turn-around for a magazine that originally described the iPad as a 'fad'..... and Mac's as 'toys'.

Well done Apple.   But where is the new Mac Mini ( Pro ) ??   ;-) 

• Reply 23 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I am so hoping that someone or even Apple makes a Transparent Aluminium casing! The insides of this beast demand exposure. http://makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/

I would love to see the insides while working too. I felt the same about my 8 Core Mac Pro (last gen). They too were a work of art. I wonder if the black color has a significant role in the heat dissipation though?
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Don't waste your time with amateurish sarcasm. Just what do you think you've accomplished?

Oh come on. Taking the p out of the trolls that post here is always worth a few lines ... :D
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Hey, anyone that's desperate let me know ... make me an offer I can't refuse... 6 Core model ... next day shipping. :D
  • Reply 26 of 110
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s!ke View Post

I agree with Scotty321. There is a reason we let things be built in China, obviously for the cost, but because they are hard at work all the damn time.

Hell, foxxtron works 24/7. But god forbid we made people work at 2am, there would be lawsuits up the ass for Apple for workers comp and people whining.

Just saying, us american's are spoiled. And honestly, a Mac Pro built in America is the same as a Mac Pro built in China. It's only due to left wing whining hippies and liberals that Apple has a due diligence to build things in the USA.

Wrong site! This isn't Fox.com.

• Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh come on. Taking the p out of the trolls that post here is always worth a few lines ... image

If you honestly think that ever had any impact, never mind after the 2000th version of it, then ...

• Reply 28 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah amazing how ignorant people are. I guess they didn't see the video that shows how automated a lot of this stuff is.

You ... you're calling others ignorant? Have you read your own posts?

• Reply 29 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

They should have kept production in China. The thing would be shipping in volume by now.

Yes, I can see Apple didn't have any problems with keeping up with demand with things like the iPhone, which ships from China. Moreover, building it in the US has many benefits outside of the good publicity. The most important one is competitors can't ask the ITC for an import ban because that only applies to products build outside the US. Google was smart with Motorola and took the same approach. Moreover, Apple can keep a closer eye on manufacturing as well as IP theft. 

• Reply 30 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

I agree with Scotty321. There is a reason we let things be built in China, obviously for the cost, but because they are hard at work all the damn time.

Hell, foxxtron works 24/7. But god forbid we made people work at 2am, there would be lawsuits up the ass for Apple for workers comp and people whining.

Just saying, us american's are spoiled. And honestly, a Mac Pro built in America is the same as a Mac Pro built in China. It's only due to left wing whining hippies and liberals that Apple has a due diligence to build things in the USA.

Right, we Americans are lazy. Yet, the 80's was the height of the economic boom, and most manufacturing was done in the US. What changed? We Americans didn't all the sudden become lazy. My father worked at Ford, and put in 75 hours a week. Instead, all the greedy corporate fat cats decided to use all their extra dough and buy off Congress and the President to pass NAFTA so that they could do away with pesky import tariffs that paid for things like education, and roads. We essentially sold our values and pride so that things could be made cheaply by government subsidized slave labor overseas in places like China that do not adhere to the same values as western democracies do. Now the US is borrowing money from China, and our infrastructure is in shambles. 

A Mac built in China is not the same as one built in the US. I have pride over the one build in the US, and I am happy my purchase is keeping my neighbors employed. Further, the move is smart. You rarely heard of Apple's manufacturing plans when things were build in places like the US or Ireland. That is because product secrets can be locked down tighter in Western countries where IP is valued. If Apple set up shop in China for the Mac Pros, competitors would have easy access to the facilities. 

Additionally, Apple does not have to worry about having to defend itself before the ITC over patent trolls because products built in the US are not subject to the ITC.  Building the product in the US was a brilliant move. 

• Reply 31 of 110
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

If you honestly think that ever had any impact

Come off it. Open your eyes.

• Reply 32 of 110
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I have no doubt that Apple could have built the capacity so that there would be no back log at this point in the product cycle.  And then 6 months from now they would have to scale back when demand falls back to normal levels and assembly lines would be sitting idle.  I expect they've got this well under control.

• Reply 33 of 110
    This thing is so fast! I was writing a book on one and when I was about halfway through the first chapter, it was printing out the last few pages of the end of the book.

That's some kind of FAST!

M le M, you never fail to amuse. :)
  • Reply 34 of 110
    argonaut wrote: »
    PC Pro magazine in UK ( used to be Mac haters of course ) gave the Mac Pro a glowing review and used terms like 'truly impressive feat of engineering' , 'unparalleled triumph' and 'competitive on Price' ...  Gave it 6/6 stars for performance and features/design , value for money 5/6 :-)
    It really was a glowing review....  

It's funny, they now have Apple products in their 'A-list' of best buys!  Best All-In-One = iMac 27" , Best Full size tablet  = iPad Air  , Enthusiast Laptop = Macbook Pro 13 with retina,  quite a turn-around for a magazine that originally described the iPad as a 'fad'..... and Mac's as 'toys'.

Well done Apple.   But where is the new Mac Mini ( Pro ) ??   ;-) 

And yet, MacFormat only gave the Mac Pro 4/5. Maybe their standards are higher than PC Pro. :)

It almost makes me want to work in video so I can justify buying one.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Quote:

Hey, anyone that's desperate let me know ... make me an offer I can't refuse... 6 Core model ... next day shipping. image

I am still holding out hope that mine will arrive by the end of the month...

Stay positive... stay positive...

• Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:

It's only due to left wing whining hippies and liberals that Apple has a due diligence to build things in the USA.

Funny. 30 yr ago "made in the USA" was a conservative mantra.  To the extent that Bruce Springsteen did a song with that theme.  To quote from the Wikipedia entry, "Even more notably, the widely read conservative columnist George Will... praised Springsteen...."  I remember, back then I was both a conservative and a USA-made advocate.  I'm still a USA-made advocate.

My point is: no need to politicize this, nor to cast aspersions.

• Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

I'm not sure why this is news.

Is AI going to announce that it slid to May next month, and June in May?

It'd be better news when the backlog actually clears up.

Oh come off it.  Look on the bright side, at least it's a story about APPLE, rather than Sammy, Nokie, etc.

• Reply 38 of 110

Which is the hard part, a deep drawn aluminum cylinder, skim cut and anodized, or an aluminum extrusion? My father was using stainless steel domes, of very similar proportions, in juice vending machines back in the 1960s and 70s. Extrusions are easy. Pick and place machines? I've got a buddy in Montana assembling electronics on tightly packaged boards.

The Mac Pro is probably one of Apple's lowest volume products. We were told in 2012 there would be a new machine in 2013. Then in 2013 we were told we would be able to buy it in December. I'm still waiting for a six core machine. It's BS. The design may have been hard, but I flat out do not believe this thing is so difficult to manufacture. Where is the hard part?

• Reply 39 of 110
    Quote:

Hey, anyone that's desperate let me know ... make me an offer I can't refuse... 6 Core model ... next day shipping. image

I'm assuming this comment is made in jest or are you having second thoughts whether the nMP meets your needs?

• Reply 40 of 110
    ignomini wrote: »
    Which is the hard part, a deep drawn aluminum cylinder, skim cut and anodized, or an aluminum extrusion? My father was using stainless steel domes, of very similar proportions, in juice vending machines back in the 1960s and 70s. Extrusions are easy. Pick and place machines? I've got a buddy in Montana assembling electronics on tightly packaged boards.

The Mac Pro is probably one of Apple's lowest volume products. We were told in 2012 there would be a new machine in 2013. Then in 2013 we were told we would be able to buy it in December. I'm still waiting for a six core machine. It's BS. The design may have been hard, but I flat out do not believe this thing is so difficult to manufacture. Where is the hard part?

Because you don't think the extrusion is hard you can't see how any other part of it can be difficult? I'm also pretty sure your buddy in Montana isn't doing anything close to the sophistication found on Apple's boards. Do you have any images of his boards to show us? Where is he getting his Thunderbolt 2 chis from? How many TB2 chips can he obtain at once? Did he design his own low-power, high-volume, noise-less fan?