Apple readying April unveiling of new Apple TV, may partner with Time Warner

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Users clamoring for an update to Apple's set-top streamer could have their wish granted within the next two months, as the company is reportedly preparing a springtime introduction for the fourth-generation device that would come with a substantial media tie-in but would not launch until this fall.

Apple TV

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple could introduce the new platform in April and have it on shelves by Christmas, according to Bloomberg. That release date could change, the publication says, depending on the outcome of negotiations with content providers.

One of those potential partners is said to be Time Warner Cable, one of the largest cable television providers in the U.S. Whispers of an Apple-Time Warner deal first surfaced last spring, with reports that Time Warner was looking to deliver live and on-demand programming through the box.

Such an agreement would mark a departure from previous rumors that had Apple negotiating directly with networks like ESPN and HBO in a bid to bypass cable companies.
A content deal with Time Warner would be the first such partnership for Apple
On the hardware front, the report says the upcoming refresh will likely include a faster processor than its predecessors. The current-generation Apple TV runs on a modified version of Apple's iPhone- and iPad-powering A-series chips.

Alongside new hardware, the Apple TV's interface will reportedly be revamped to make it easier for users to navigate and discover content. No mention is made of a third-party App Store for the device, a feature many expect Apple to include in the box's next iteration that would enable a game console-like experience.

A months-long wait between the unveiling of a new Apple TV in April and a launch in time for the 2014 holiday season may sound suspect, but Apple had a five-month lead time between the announcement of the first iPhone and its launch in June of 2007. The wait time between the unveiling and launch of the first iPad, which runs a scaled-up version of the iPhone operating system, was considerably shorter, at just over two months.

If Apple were to have a similar wait time between the unveiling of a new Apple TV and its launch date, that would place its launch around September, which happens to be around the same time of year Apple has chosen to debut its new iPhone models for the past three years. Apple was thought to have been ready to introduce the next-generation Apple TV last fall alongside the iPhone 5s, though that turned out not to be the case.

The Apple TV's hardware was last updated in the spring of 2012. That update brought support for 1080p video content and 802.11n networking, and the next generation could see similar bumps with support for ultra-high resolution 4K video and speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    Would be great if true. Recently bought a Roku 3 because they have the TWC app. It's nice but it's no Apple TV.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Time Warner may be large but I think they are only in a little over half the states. Here Comcast and Cox are the only ones offered in the state. But that is an interesting development and presumably would allow partnerships with all cable companies in the future. The only hinderance I see from completely replacing boxes is the lack of DVR functionality. If Apple could include DVR as an option with perhaps a separate accessory that includes a hard drive or by some other method then I can see cable companies get on board since those HD DVR boxes cost them a lot of money.
  • Reply 3 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Christmas? Nuts.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    tonester wrote: »
    Would be great if true. Recently bought a Roku 3 because they have the TWC app. It's nice but it's no Apple TV.

TWC app? The Weather Channel? Like The Weather Channel on AppleTV?
  • Reply 5 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is the gap time so developers can make apps?
  • Reply 6 of 117
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Apple is not going to introduce a new AppleTV in April and ship it in, what, late November? No way. Not a chance.

Much more likely the new version ships in April, with certain content rolling out by year's end. I can't imagine them doing something so stupid as showing off a new generation of a current product so far in advance. There is ZERO purpose to it.

The Mac Pro was an exception for extremely obvious reasons.

• Reply 7 of 117
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is the gap time so developers can make apps?

That makes the most sense.  There's no need to pre-announce a product that supposedly isn't shipping until Christmas time "unless" it requires the support of 3rd party software developers. 

Pretty much a tacit confirmation of App store support. 

• Reply 8 of 117
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Time Warner may be large but I think they are only in a little over half the states. Here Comcast and Cox are the only ones offered in the state. But that is an interesting development and presumably would allow partnerships with all cable companies in the future. The only hinderance I see from completely replacing boxes is the lack of DVR functionality. If Apple could include DVR as an option with perhaps a separate accessory that includes a hard drive or by some other method then I can see cable companies get on board since those HD DVR boxes cost them a lot of money.

actually it would not matter where Time Warner is located, in theory they can stream their content to you as long as you has internet access on any provider, no different than netflix or hulu. If they do this deal, you could turn off you video service from your local provider and only maintain internet access and pay as you use form Apple TV and Time Warner. I would also suspect they will offer network DVR functionality which is the current trend, they are moving away from you having content in your home on you DVR.

• Reply 9 of 117
    gwmac wrote: »
    they could use cloud storage
  • Reply 10 of 117
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Christmas? Nuts.

A six month gap wouldn’t be, though.

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That makes the most sense.

Does it? I’d say more to showcase how Time Warner was smart and hopped onto the future before they were bankrupted by sticking with the old model and giving the other content providers a chance to not get stuck with cable and satellite when they’re obsoleted. Publicly announce one licensing partner and the others will trip over each other to associate themselves with Apple before it’s too late.

• Reply 11 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

actually it would not matter where Time Warner is located, in theory they can stream their content to you as long as you has internet access on any provider, no different than netflix or hulu. If they do this deal, you could turn off you video service from your local provider and only maintain internet access and pay as you use form Apple TV and Time Warner. I would also suspect they will offer network DVR functionality which is the current trend, they are moving away from you having content in your home on you DVR.

That would be nice I just didn't think that was possible. I assumed it would only be for Time Warner customers as a replacement for their set top box. I use DirecTV for TV and Cox Cable  for my internet. If The new Apple TV offered me all the same channels I watch now on DirecTV for a similar or hopefully cheaper price it would certainly appeal to me. 

• Reply 12 of 117
    maestro64 wrote: »
    TWC need to modify with content owners if the territory changes
  • Reply 13 of 117
    I would prefer instead of a new hardware platform (I don't think there is overly a big need for different hardware specs as the current ones are more than enough for its intended purpose) but I would like to see a software platform developed.

Much of the content available on my Apple TV is kind of moot because it won't work properly in New Zealand because of the limitations of the content producers.

But what if Apple opened up a software platform that allowed say TVNZ and TV3 to develop their own app for the Apple TV like they have for the iPad/iPhone? Then I can simply use the Apple TV to watch the TV I do watch without having to have Flash on my MBP or view with the iPad propped up while in bed with a headphone splitter to get the best sound.

I don't really care so much about games on the Apple TV that's what the iPad is for but TV content on the Apple TV would be great. The aforementioned TVNZ and TV3 apps won't allow us to send the video from our iPad to our AppleTV claiming some crap about licenses.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    "Apple is not going to introduce a new AppleTV in April and ship it in, what, late November? No way. Not a chance.

Much more likely the new version ships in April, with certain content rolling out by year's end. I can't imagine them doing something so stupid as showing off a new generation of a current product so far in advance. There is ZERO purpose to it. . . . " <\Quote>

Not November. The article is referring to the Christmas selling season and that can be as early as September or October for consumer-tech items. Fall is a big deal in consumer retail and you leave money on the table if you don't have consumer-tech products out by October.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    A five month wait from announcement to shipping might be plausible if this were the first Apple TV, but it's not. Such a delay following announcement would dry up sales of the current 3rd generation Apple TV, which would make no sense. It's called the Osborne Effect.

There is simply no reason to announce an update before it will be ready to ship. The Mac Pro was an exception because sales of the old model had already dried up and were actually banned in the EU.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

they could use cloud storage

A lot of cable internet packages limit you to 50GB a month or even lower. Unlimited data for internet used to be the rule but it now seems to be the exception. If I switched entirely to streaming TV over the internet I would pass 50GB in very short order. Just with my normal usage and Netflix I already come close to that. I wonder how they would address that issue. 

• Reply 17 of 117
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I wonder how they would address that issue. 

Open letter to telecoms.

• Reply 18 of 117
    Only the Mac Pro have they allowed such a lead time. They don't generally do that.. They like to announce and release a week or 2 later if they can... I can see the release in April and ramp up for developer access in November when they are finishing up iOS 8 and release them at same time.

Getting the hardware out with initial release first, bug fix it as needed, then do a formal SDK release in latter half of year makes a lot more sense and is very like Apple.

Plus, releasing in April gives them the much needed product release for the first half of the year.. Releasing all that stuff at Christmas becomes too much.. They needed a product that was not on a year end release cycle.
  • Reply 19 of 117

Conspiracy with Time Warner ! Bromwich, torture them right, uh !

• Reply 20 of 117
    The problem with cable companies is that these are fractionalized into geographic regions for content distribution, so how does Apple 'break' this imposed-model for distribution to a nation-wide population? Can Apple make an agreement with the cable companies to re-distribute for a small fee- the cable content via the iTunes store? Not sure yet how this new Apple TV media model is proposed to work. For the cable companies, partnering with Apple, Amazon and Google is a great way to extend their diminishing share to young viewers and those not currently tied to the monthly cable subscription model and have no desire for such.