J.P. Morgan predicts new, separate & converged 'iAnywhere' computing platform in Apple's future

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    This is something I would very much like. The Asus Transformer T100 is similar, it runs both windows 8 and Android. It looks like a tablet and can be docked.
    If the iPad Pro was a large screen tablet running iOS on the go and when docked ran full blown Mac OS X I will be all over that. You could have a dock at home, work and in public places and only need to lug a tablet with you.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Of course this is true, that's why we have developer versions of the new OS ... Oh wait a minute .... :no:
  • Reply 43 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Um, do they know iOS and Mac OS X are based on the same kernal and application frameworks?

I seriously doubt it. In fact I suspect you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to this shared base, there is a continuous move to allow iOS and OS X to work seamlessly together not converge. I suspect these folks are adding 2 + 2 and getting 7.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If anything is called iAnywhere — which I think is a stupid name — I'd like to see it be a service that allows for all your iTunes media to be accessible securely from [I]anywhere[/I], not unlike Back To My Mac works. Preferably, I'd like this to be an Apple Home Server run off iOS but with a full integrated version of my iTunes library and other home server features accessible by at at least 2 HDDs.

PS: I'd also like to an option to share an iDevice display the way I can share a Mac's display via a chat service, and ideally I'd like this to be an option via FaceTime instead of having to connect with AIM or GTalk, the way I have to now to connect into a friend of family member's Mac to assist them.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If anything is called iAnywhere — which I think is a stupid name — I'd like to see it be a service that allows for all your iTunes media to be accessible securely from anywhere, not unlike Back To My Mac works. Preferably, I'd like this to be an Apple Home Server run off iOS but with a full integrated version of my iTunes library and other home server features accessible by at at least 2 HDDs.

PS: I'd also like to an option to share an iDevice display the way I can share a Mac's display via a chat service, and ideally I'd like this to be an option via FaceTime instead of having to connect with AIM or GTalk, the way I have to now to connect into a friend of family member's Mac to assist them.

As to the "I'd like to see it be a service that allows for all your iTunes media to be accessible securely from anywhere"...

We use StreamToMe on our iDevices -- it has a free component, ServeToMe, that runs on our Macs.

Thru this portal you can access any iTunes Movies, TV shows, Music, Podcasts, etc.

In addition, you can display photos in your iPhoto/Aperture libraries.

Finally, StreamToMe will allow you to watch videos in codecs not supported by iTunes by streaming them through a web browser.

It ain't perfect -- but it's a good start!
  • Reply 46 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    [QUOTE]Well, no, they don't even know their own business, who got us in this crisis to start with? retarded overpaid Wall Street Analyst that invested in trash mortgages[/QUOTE]
    Well, to be fair, the government forced them to do that. It is how they subsequently tried to spread their resultant risk that poisoned the well for everything else.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If anything is called iAnywhere — which I think is a stupid name — I'd like to see it be a service that allows for all your iTunes media to be accessible securely from anywhere, not unlike Back To My Mac works. Preferably, I'd like this to be an Apple Home Server run off iOS but with a full integrated version of my iTunes library and other home server features accessible by at at least 2 HDDs.

Exactly!

As to the "I'd like to see it be a service that allows for all your iTunes media to be accessible securely from anywhere"...

We use StreamToMe on our iDevices -- it has a free component, ServeToMe, that runs on our Macs.

Thru this portal you can access any iTunes Movies, TV shows, Music, Podcasts, etc.

In addition, you can display photos in your iPhoto/Aperture libraries.

Finally, StreamToMe will allow you to watch videos in codecs not supported by iTunes by streaming them through a web browser.

It ain't perfect -- but it's a good start!

I also use Stream To Me... and yes it works flawlessly.

I'm also experimenting with BitTorrent Sync, as a private and free-to-expand DropBox for various file types, which is also working great between multiple iOS and OSX devices.

IMHO (and I've stated this for the longest time here)... Apple must, MUST... come up with an elegant server and personal cloud solution. Something as easily configured, admin'ed from an iOS-only family as well as by power users with OSX devices.

iOS IS the new consumer OS. Not tomorrow... or in the future... it IS TODAY.

It is the car (or bicycle :) that everybody needs (and wants whether they admit or not!) for communications, entertainment, education and creative mobility. Many people outside of their work or jobs need nothing more. And if they ARE in a creative occupation, iOS devices absolutely are the best "for the job" of creation, whether music, photo, paint, writing, film, theater, sports, dancing, education, and countless other cultural arts and disciplines.

iOS IS everything, and defines more than, the simple Steve Jobs dream for Apple and his famous quote, "The intersection between liberal arts and technology".

The idiots and fools that think and analyze that The Apple Team at some point in the near future is going to bastardize everything THEY HAVE worked and sweated over for the last decade, just to appease thier Schadenfreude Fetish AKA "I'm-Butt-Hurt-Because-We're-Always-Losing-Because-Apple-Is-Doomed-I-Say!... DOOMED!" ... are simply delusional!

A lot of folks like to second-guess Tim Cook and The Apple Team and it's ability to carry on the SJ legacy starting with, "IF Steve Jobs were alive... blah, blah..." and "Tim Cook should be fired for... "blah, blah (another fictional crisis). Well IMHO, TC and Team is doing an INCREDIBLE and INSANELY GREAT job by simply ignoring this unending tsunami of "popular" opinion, analysis and the stupid suggestions of what to do that comes with it!!!!

Please, go tell Microsoft, Google-Samsung and Amazon what they "should" be doing instead. You understand their desire for growth at all costs; the flooding of the market of crappy products to gain market share without profit; frosting over FACT with fictional wanna-be false advertising and questionable marketing tactics; deceptive benchmark-boosting; claiming to take over markets with nonexistent products and vaporware; and a host of other shady business tactics that the investment community, Wall Street and banks can relate to.

How sad that this is all at the expense of consumers that continue to believe the snake-oil and used-car salesman pitch, "it's the same but only cheaper" tripe! It's not the same... Apple is not the same... and it's users and fans are FAR from the same! We've been enjoying more from our tech purchases for YEARS and value the idea that Apple will continue to amaze US... not the analysts, bloggers, wanna-be visionaries... us. Thus staying true to the founder's vision of technology and not succumbing to stupid "Been there... done that.. have the t-shirt... but threw it away after one wash" used up machine of failed tech strategies.

Summary for TL;DR:
    The patent looked interesting, maybe useful in 2008,
    but will never happen 'cause it's way past the "due date".

***Woo! Glad to get that off my chest!.... because now I have to write some Valentines cards... the above was practice... Oh Shite! :smokey:
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

One can not deny the fact that mobile processors are approaching desktop/laptop capabilities at a rapid pace. Everyone was caught off guard when Apple announced the A7 64 bit chip last year.

One also can not deny the fact that most of Apple's software iWork, iLife, functions very similarly on both iOS and OSX.

When SJ first demoed the iPhone, he said that they put OSX on it. In a reality it was a stripped down version of that OS later renamed iOS.  Both share a common codebase. 

With evolving technology, this idea doesn't seem far fetched. Many of you say that MS tried it and failed. I think where MS failed is that they never really did the necessary adjustments to their software in order make them touch friendly and all that happened was deliver a miniaturized version of Excel or Word on the Surface. Hardware wise, the technology may not be there yet, to make mobile processors powerful enough and energy efficient enough.  In the end they delivered a half baked solution.  

Others amongst you believe that Apple execs never go back on their word. Remember Apple's (SJ's really) word on not wanting a smaller tablet?

Well the time isn't right  for them to release such a unified solution yet.  They may do it in the future when all the pieces are in place.

One thing you can bet on, is that no Apple exec will start blurting out the company's future plans.  They'll leave that to the Amazons of this world and beta solutions to Google.  Glass anyone?

that's true, sure, I have more processing power in my iPhone 5 than NASA had to send a man to the moon.

of course tomorrow's smartphones are going to be more powerful than today's workstations.

Yet, processors evolve but applications also evolve. Usually, you don't find a huge performance improvement if you get a new computer with a new processor (unless you had a really old one) because as soon as you are running new apps, those apps take advantage of the new processing power, they use it.

So even though you might say than the A8 or A9 or A10 processor can be as powerful as today's xeon or haswell processor powering the macs, even if the phone could have 16 GB or ram as I had on my mac or 500 GB of storage, they won't be on pair with current macs (or pcs), there will be apps that will only run on the new macs with the new processors.

In other words, phones and tablets hardware may be evolving quicker than desktop/laptop/servers but yet, the latter keeps evolving as well and so do applications.

One thing I have ever seen is that no matter how much processors, memory, storage, networking and display technologies evolve, software is still ahead of the curve, as soon as new hardware is available apps will take advantage of it.

While a 64 bits ARM processor can have a lot of processing power, the design goal is not to maximize processing power but energy efficiency.

Even Intel tried with it's centrino line to have a processor that would adapt to the power source. So if you had your laptop plugged in, it will use the full power, if not, it will reduce the processor speed and other parameters. That simply meant that if you were on battery you wouldn't get a very good experience with processor intensive apps. or graphic intensive apps.