Apple set to discontinue legacy, non-Retina iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    [I]According to people familiar with the plans,[/I] the government is conspiring with aliens to abduct and anally probe its citizens for genetic experiments involving human-cattle hybrids. And don't you dare question them because they are people familiar with the plans. They have a VERY ACCURATE track record when you ignore all of the times they have been wrong. :)
  • Reply 22 of 89
    macapfel wrote: »
    It't time they discontinue the 30 pin line and move to Lightning. Will be interesting whether they still continue with the 30 pin iPod Classic.

The 30-pin connector isn't something Apple is trying to erase from history, but many people view it that way. The connector is near-universal in the accessories market, and it was originally designed for the iPod. I don't think Apple will discontinue the iPod Classic solely to kill the 30-pin dock/cables.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Joking aside, I'll never understand why the 2nd gen was a success. I mean, there weren't any usable tablets until Apple released theirs the year before. Did so many people either hold out for the 2nd gen or upgraded their 1st gen?

I think it's a combination of the two.

I know a lot of people who bought both models under the "his and hers" (or all combinations thereof) excuse.  And the "single because I love technology more than people" crowd waited for the 2nd gen.

• Reply 24 of 89
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Best product I've ever owned. Bought on day one, still using it several hours every day. It's truly an amazing product. I actually dropped it for the first time on the floor this week, but it fortunately didn't break. But yes, it's getting pretty slow with iOS 7 on some tasks. I was surprised to recently learn that iPads before the Air were thicker and heavier than the 2.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    A great device. My wife loves hers. An additional factor is the fact it is one of the last devices using the 30 pin connector, which apparently Apple is anxious to move on from. Too bad as there is an incredible array of devices out there using the 30 pin. One of the beauties of the ipad 2 is that we transport it where ever we may travel and via the Apple AV cable, use it to put iTunes programs up on the big screen. Easy. Reliable. Does not require a wiFi connection. And oh yes, we are avid users of the ipod classic too, often used the same way for audio.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:

And this story is exclusive, because when you're able to buy one it is an exclusive.

Joking aside, I'll never understand why the 2nd gen was a success. I mean, there weren't any usable tablets until Apple released theirs the year before. Did so many people either hold out for the 2nd gen or upgraded their 1st gen?

What did YOU do? Didn't you buy one? 

I had both the first and second iPad, bought on first day both.

The first was slower but had a great design. I wish they made an iPad with the same flat sides like the first one, albeit very thin. Like a nice slate of metal.

• Reply 27 of 89
    clemynx wrote: »
    What did YOU do? Didn't you buy one? 

I got the first one, straight away (obviously). When the 2nd came out I didn't felt compelled to get it as 'it was simply faster and lighter than what I have" (1.35lbs vs 1.6 and A4 1GHz vs A5 1GHz)

When they released the 3rd gen with the retina display I immediately got it as photography is a hobby of mine and I thought the display would make a difference. It did.

The 4th gen didn't 'entice' me, but I understood their reasoning for Apple upgrading it due to the new iPhone with the Lighting plug. I also understand their 128GB option right before MS realised their Surface, yet didn't feel the need to upgrade. And as much as the iPad Air is a great product on its own, I don't really feel compelled to upgrade from a 3rd gen as I don't have any issues with its weight. I don't carry it around much, and when I do it's in my rug sack, so no issue on the weight. When holding it I don't feel the desire to get a lighter one, in spite of my skinniness. (I do work put though, aiming at a 70.3 Ironman. Who am I kidding, maybe next year)
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:

I got the first one, straight away (obviously). When the 2nd came out I didn't felt compelled to get it as 'it was simply faster and lighter than what I have" (1.35lbs vs 1.6 and A4 1GHz vs A5 1GHz)

When they released the 3rd gen with the retina display I immediately got it as photography is a hobby of mine and I thought the display would make a difference. It did.

Exactly the same as what I did.

Bought the 1st gen right away because I work in tech, had already worked a lot with the iPhone, and wanted to explore the first real, usable tablet with a great SDK.  I already had a camera for FaceTime and whatnot on my iPhone, so the 2nd gen upgrades didn't matter too much to me.  However, the retina display on the 3rd gen enticed me to upgrade under the "his and hers" guise (it actually became my son's).  Love my 3rd gen iPad.

• Reply 29 of 89
    auxio wrote: »
    ^ post

I'm using my 1st gen as a media player when having friends over for dinner; it lays on the dinner table and everyone can simply tab on an album cover they remember. They like it, as do I.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The $399 iPad 2 may no longer be as appealing to customers with the Retina iPad mini now occupying the same price point.

They should had price it at $350 would had made more sense.

• Reply 31 of 89

I remember having the iPad 2 when the mini was released, and torn between keeping it or swapping for the mini. Frankly, because they were the same tablet I waited until the Retina mini, which I love. But until that point my iPad 2 worked flawlessly. 

• Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:

I'm using my 1st gen as a media player when having friends over for dinner; it lays on the dinner table and everyone can simply tab on an album cover they remember. They like it, as do I.

Absolutely.  The 1st gen still sees quite a bit of use in our home as well.  It's perfectly capable for plenty of the games my son plays, as a media controller, and has seen lots of use as a baby monitor (in conjunction with a webcam).  No regrets buying it whatsoever.

• Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

The 4th gen didn't 'entice' me, but I understood their reasoning for Apple upgrading it due to the new iPhone with the Lighting plug. I also understand their 128GB option right before MS realised their Surface, yet didn't feel the need to upgrade. And as much as the iPad Air is a great product on its own, I don't really feel compelled to upgrade from a 3rd gen as I don't have any issues with its weight. I don't carry it around much, and when I do it's in my rug sack, so no issue on the weight. When holding it I don't feel the desire to get a lighter one, in spite of my skinniness. (I do work put though, aiming at a 70.3 Ironman. Who am I kidding, maybe next year)

I wasn't really interested in the fourth gen either.

The Air however... that one looks very nice. I'm really wondering how they'll update it. I'm going to buy one for my parents very soon.

• Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Amazing how much better iPad has gotten. At the same time, amazing how many people I know refuse to sell and upgrade because they love whatever iPad they've originally owned. I simply can't convince my wife to sell her iPad 3 while it still has some appreciable value (probably about $275) and get the Air.

I couldn't let go of my iPad first generation (my wife couldn't either). It ran iWork and Garageband perfectly, iBooks, Kindle, Mail, Safari, and even a few fun games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. A couple of specialized apps that required iOS 7 finally convinced us to make the leap to an iPad Air. Although I now love the Air, as it's amazingly light and nimble (and super powerful :)), I still prefer the 1st generation form factor. It was much easier to hold without slipping (if a bit heavy when holding for a long time), and felt super solid, especially the screen which felt like a solid piece of glass. The Air's screen feels like crappy Samsung plastic. I've gotten used to it, but I still hate the feel when having to tap a lot. Maybe if I hadn't had the 1st generation I wouldn't feel that way. Maybe it's just hard to let go of something that's so close to one's daily life.

It was difficult to let go, but the family members who received them were extremely happy in spite of the app acquisition problems due to apps with NO new features and NO real power requirements suddenly requiring iOS 7 (I'm looking at you Amazon).

• Reply 35 of 89
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

And this story is exclusive, because when you're able to buy one it is an exclusive.

I waited.  Though, to be honest, I couldn't tell you exactly why at this point.  I just remember thinking something along the lines of, "Let's see how it turns out."  But, I barely remember yesterday, so ... :)

• Reply 36 of 89
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

We would have had an original iPad day 1, but we didn't have the spare money.  Bought the original in October 2010.  Got my iPad3 pre-ordered as one of the first after the keynote.  I like my kid's Retina Mini, it's nice.  Huge difference in screen area w/the iPad 3.  I actually never liked the 2 b/c it felt like it went too thin.  I liked the heft of the original and the 3.  The Air seems nice enough, but I haven't spent any time messing w/one.  The Retina Mini feels about as heavy as a paperback novel tho

• Reply 37 of 89
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I wonder if they'll keep these around for Educational use? I know a lot of schools buy the iPad 2 because they want a full-sized iPad, but don't have $499/iPad to shell out. The iPad mini is nice, but in my experience its just too small for educational use. 

• Reply 38 of 89
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Isn't the non-retina iPad mini the same, speed-wise?
    Yes it is slightly better than IPad 2 and $100 cheaper.
    I get lost in all the version, but isn't there still a retina iPad 2 or was that dropped for the Air?
    Never, people hoped for it but there was a 3rd and 4th generation running similar soecs(the two)named new and retina for point of sake.
    There was the new retina "iPad" which was called the iPad 3 by the public. It was discontinued in favor of the iPad 4 which was discontinued for the iPad Air.

macapfel wrote: »
    It't time they discontinue the 30 pin line and move to Lightning. Will be interesting whether they still continue with the 30 pin iPod Classic.
    I would guess they drop all iPods at same time when they do, Classic may be replaced with a 64 gb SSD model with a lighting and similar look.
    herbapou wrote: »
    They should had price it at $350 would had made more sense.
    Or $330 for that matter, since there are 3 iPads after it should be -$50 at least per generation.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's difficult to let go of an iPad. I've got my eye on a potentially larger future iPad for pro apps, but right now I can't imagine letting go of my iPad 3.

I gave my wife my original iPad and I have an iPad 4 now. The original still works fine, especially for what she wants to use it for - browsing, watching videos, playing Bejeweled, etc.

• Reply 40 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

It was my understanding that the iPad 2 was still extremely popular with business customers. Does this mean that they are finally moving on to the iPad Air?

More the iPad Mini.

My business just deployed > 5000 iPads in the last 3 months for our business customers. 75% Minis. Compared to 30% Mini last year. Medical clinics, for example, love how Minis fit into their lab coats.

FYI - We also deployed > 2000 Android tablets.