Proposed federal law would require smartphone 'kill switches'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why stop there? Regulate screen size, memory, price, warranty, design, availability, carriers, everything. Be careful what you ask for.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

...I notice that it is Democrats mentioned in the article.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Republicans in on this too.  So it's not about opposition to either party.  It's about opposition to government becoming too powerful and having control over too many things.

The proposed bill's sponsors are all Democrats.

• Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why stop there? Regulate screen size, memory, price, warranty, design, availability, carriers, everything. Be careful what you ask for.

Many of the things you list are regulated in many areas, such as warranty and availability. I fail to see why this is a bad thing.

In the UK under the 'Sale of Goods Act' I have an extended warranty out to a potential 6 years with products depending on their expected lifespan. This encourages manufacturers to design products for longevity as if the products fail early they may still be liable, something which is good for everyone. It also means that if a design flaw is found later on then manufacturers cannot escape responsibility, which is pro consumer.

• Reply 24 of 55
    This kill switch feature would only be for the actual owner of the phone, right?
    I'm sorry but the only way I'll allow the government to kill my phone would be with some sort of EMP - and even then I'll be pretty pissed.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Yet another example of how completely out of touch with their given responsibilities the so called "law makers" of the US are. This is not your charter.

Yet another reason why every single one of them should be fired, and why the entire system is broken. They want CONTROL. Over everyone and everything.

They want the remote kill switch, so when you don't pay your electric bill, the SWAT team can remote wipe your entire life, break down your down, and take your kids away.

Think I'm joking? They already do it. It just hasn't happened to you yet. Or maybe it has.

• Reply 26 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

This kill switch feature would only be for the actual owner of the phone, right?

No sorry. Not when the Federal Government decides they need it. They don't provide for the people, they destroy the people.

• Reply 27 of 55
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

I notice that it is Democrats mentioned in the article.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Republicans in on this too.  So it's not about opposition to either party.  It's about opposition to government becoming too powerful and having control over too many things.

Originally Posted by Agent Apple View Post

The proposed bill's sponsors are all Democrats.

The reason Congress is involved is because they are trying to figure out a way to stop all the iPhone thefts and attacks on the people carrying them. This isn't about government control of phone conversations it's about reducing the reason to steal iPhones. Render them useless for the thief (the user can restart them if they are retrieved) making it useless to steal them. The fact Democrats are sponsoring the bill is obvious, they care about the common person. Republican could care less about the loss of anything by others.

• Reply 28 of 55
    mdcragg wrote: »
    Do you people really think that the government wants to mandate kill switches in mobile phones because of concerns over theft!?!?!

Please.

They want to deploy kill switches because it gives government more power over who can communicate and how and when.  In some cases, such as trying to thwart a real terrorist activity, this may not be such a bad thing.  But I am getting increasingly concerned over the government's ability to spy on everything we do and to shut down our ability to communicate with each other.  This is NOT in keeping with a free society.  It is more like a police state.

I notice that it is Democrats mentioned in the article.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Republicans in on this too.  So it's not about opposition to either party.  It's about opposition to government becoming too powerful and having control over too many things.
    A few months ago I would have called you a crazy conspiracy theorist. Now I realize I was the naive one. The government managed to divert the nations attention away from their crimes against the citizens of the country they swore to protect and serve by blaming the one who revealed their crimes. And we all bought it, hook line and sinker.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    rob53 wrote: »
    The reason Congress is involved is because they are trying to figure out a way to stop all the iPhone thefts and attacks on the people carrying them. This isn't about government control of phone conversations it's about reducing the reason to steal iPhones. Render them useless for the thief (the user can restart them if they are retrieved) making it useless to steal them. The fact Democrats are sponsoring the bill is obvious, they care about the common person. Republican could care less about the loss of anything by others.
    Everyone knows Republicans want woman and old people to be thrown off a cliff. If Obama said so, it must be true.
  • Reply 30 of 55

I hate politicians telling Apple what to do.  Hundreds of millions of people like the way Apple is now making its phones.  The politicians should let Apple make things the way they want.

• Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Should be by choice, spurred by desire; not compulsion.

Phones and Wireless spectrum are a regulated industry.   Unfortunately this is way outside of making sure the spectrum is used for the public good.

But at the same token it's a 'social good' thing, sort of like driving, and requiring you wear seat belts and have insurance.   If you lose your smart phone, _I'M_ at risk - of personal data theft, of being socially engineered for malicious intent, or even physical harm ('find friends'... your crazy ex steals my phone and stalks your current relationship).

While I'm not for local gov't requiring how my personal computing devices are managed... smart people will realize that the device should have minimum safety controls, but even the smart people need help in protecting themselves against the dumb ones.

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

they are trying to figure out a way to stop all the iPhone thefts and attacks on the people carrying them. 

If this will help stop attacks on people carrying iPhones then maybe it is a good law.

• Reply 33 of 55
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Do you people really think that the government wants to mandate kill switches in mobile phones because of concerns over theft!?!?!

Please.

They want to deploy kill switches because it gives government more power over who can communicate and how and when.  In some cases, such as trying to thwart a real terrorist activity, this may not be such a bad thing.  But I am getting increasingly concerned over the government's ability to spy on everything we do and to shut down our ability to communicate with each other.  This is NOT in keeping with a free society.  It is more like a police state.

While the actions of the NSA are extremely troubling and IMO a total violation of our constitutional rights, there's absolutely nothing in the legislation giving anyone but the consumer the ability to kill their stolen phone.   Apple already has the feature so it doesn't matter whether it becomes an actual law or not as far as Apple users are concerned.    Most legislators are so naive about the real world, my bet is that half the sponsors probably don't even realize that Apple already has the feature.   Should Apple remove the feature because you're paranoid that somehow the Government is going to get hold of it?  It's not the NSA proposing this law, it's a couple of Senators.  

The Government doesn't want to prevent you from making calls, which would be counter-productive, it wants to listen to them.    And even though in the interests of security, the Government does lots of stupid things that won't prevent terrorism (like the charade at airports or the transportation ridiculousness at the Super Bowl), giving the Government the ability to kill a phone would be useless because terrorists could simply use disposable pay-in-advance, no contract phones.   

• Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Again, it's a fine line.   choice is good.  but minimum standards to protect the stupid, and their contacts.

The fact that a kill switch can also be used to disable a subset populace makes me cringe... That's why I choose apple vs carrier sponsored phones.  

But in general... there are a lot bigger problems I wish my congress would be working on.

• Reply 35 of 55
    Bloody lawmakers. Keep your noses out of it and let competition sort these things out.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Again, another law to protect people from their own irresponsibility. Most of the people I know who had a phone stolen, did not have a second one stolen, why they learned their lesson the first time. But there are still a few I run in to who had their phone stolen a few times and when you meet them you understand why.

I like the face the Apple has the find my phone feature along with the ability to lock and disable the phone, but it does not need to be a law, If the Government spent more time going after the thieves then good citizen would not have to worry about their stuff being stolen. How about letting people carry a gun, thieves would think twice about going after someone stuff since most thieves are cowards.

• Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

This is not required on Android phones simply because nobody wants to steal them anyway.

This feature is not to fight phone theft, it's to fight identity theft. If someone wants to steal your identity, they'd probably prefer you used an Android phone.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

This feature is not to fight phone theft, it's to fight identity theft. If someone wants to steal your identity, they'd probably prefer you used an Android phone.

Good point!

• Reply 39 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

The reason Congress is involved is because they are trying to figure out a way to stop all the iPhone thefts and attacks on the people carrying them. This isn't about government control of phone conversations it's about reducing the reason to steal iPhones. Render them useless for the thief (the user can restart them if they are retrieved) making it useless to steal them.

If the goal is to make the world safe for iPhones, Apple has already taken care of it with iOS 7, no legislation required.  All that is needed to enable this is to set up a lock code and use an existing Apple ID or create a new one, which iOS asks the user to do when they first power on the iPhone.  iPhone 5S users can lock the phone with Touch ID, the lock code is only needed after a power cycle.  To reset to another SIM card, a thief would have to sign in with the Apple ID used to set up the phone.  Problem solved.

• Reply 40 of 55
    ben9753 wrote: »
    A few months ago I would have called you a crazy conspiracy theorist. Now I realize I was the naive one. The government managed to divert the nations attention away from their crimes against the citizens of the country they swore to protect and serve by blaming the one who revealed their crimes. And we all bought it, hook line and sinker.
    Ditto