Apple unlikely to launch 12.9" iPad or third-gen iPad mini in 2014, iPad Air to gain A8 & Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    The R&D still has ground to make up with perennial spec bumps. I don't expect anything crazy this year but I'd be shocked if they don't release a meager upgrade to all models. Plenty of consumers are waiting on it with cash in hand.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    This guy is usually right. But if apple doesn't release a update mini this year they are crazy!! Holiday season anyone? I mean it's February! With apples resources there shouldn't be a reason they can't launch a new mini with touch Id by the end of the year!
  • Reply 23 of 75
    I would say possible the IPad 13 inch possible, but new mini is no brainier, in fact I would not be surprised if we see iPads in Mac line with all iPads simply IPad 5 for name and running same hardware. On all 3 models with the 12-13 inch one having Mac OS as option. This is more likely than no mini upgrade.

Name a Mac(portable) or IOS device (excluding 2013 iPod) that has not upgraded in a year at least once since 2010?
  • Reply 24 of 75
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Not enough touch Id material to go around.

We know this is the way it goes (yeah, ok that could change), but we all know Apple has had significant problems with quantity production for almost 'everything' they come out with, for quite awhile.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">We'll see if that's going to change.</span>

The only problem I can recall has been with the yield of new touch screens as the production ramps up, and I'd hardly call that issue to be significant in the whole scheme of things. Any time a company ramps up production from zero to tens of millions in a short time frame there's going to be some issues to iron out. Apple's management of such issues has been amazing, in my estimate.

As Apple continues to push technical boundaries with new products, I expect such issues will will always be there. What I expect to see popping up soon is more issues with brand X products failing in the field, especially with their less robust solid state memory controllers. With Apple setting the price points where the competition's profit is razor thin, there is almost no oxygen left for the competition to be innovative, do much with R & D, or survive if they ever stumble. It's a hard-scramble life for most of Apple's iDevice competitors.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    The R&D still has ground to make up with perennial spec bumps. I don't expect anything crazy this year but I'd be shocked if they don't release a meager upgrade to all models. Plenty of consumers are waiting on it with cash in hand.

Apple's upgrade roadmap is laid out YEARS into the future. I expect this year's news will bring the A7 / M7 to most, if not all of the tablet line, plus there may be another bump to an A8 in this year as well. Too soon for sapphire to come to tablets, except in the home button finger-print ID. The BIG boost to the tablet line will come in the form of a second hardware product that will enhance the tablet's desirability by working in synergy with the tablet. It will be disruptive.
    I would say possible the IPad 13 inch possible, but new mini is no brainier, in fact I would not be surprised if we see iPads in Mac line with all iPads simply IPad 5 for name and running same hardware. On all 3 models with the 12-13 inch one having Mac OS as option. This is more likely than no mini upgrade.

Name a Mac(portable) or IOS device (excluding 2013 iPod) that has not upgraded in a year at least once since 2010?

Be prepared to be surprised with NO Mac product with a touch interface. However, there may be a non-touch gesture interface added to the Mac. The reason for my statement is that for the Mac to thrive it needs to stay pointer-based-compatible with all its software. Microsoft's biggest stumble with Windows 8.x et. al. has been the virtual refusal of third-party software vendors to convert their software to touch-based. In addition, enterprise buyers won't buy the higher priced touch screens. However, enterprise IS BUYING the iPad in droves for a multitude of reasons unrelated to it being a touch-interface.

As to your last question: Look at what has been upgraded in the most recent years of portable Macs. Retina screens and faster, and more energy efficient CPUs. Portable Macs are a relatively mature product and most of the changes has been to keep up to date with technology; not to change any paradigms. Mac is to mouse as touch is to tablet.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Not enough touch Id material to go around.

We know this is the way it goes (yeah, ok that could change), but we all know Apple has had significant problems with quantity production for almost 'everything' they come out with, for quite awhile.

We'll see if that's going to change.

The only problem I can recall has been with the yield of new touch screens as the production ramps up, and I'd hardly call that issue to be significant in the whole scheme of things. Any time a company ramps up production from zero to tens of millions in a short time frame there's going to be some issues to iron out. Apple's management of such issues has been amazing, in my estimate.

As Apple continues to push technical boundaries with new products, I expect such issues will will always be there. What I expect to see popping up soon is more issues with brand X products failing in the field, especially with their less robust solid state memory controllers. With Apple setting the price points where the competition's profit is razor thin, there is almost no oxygen left for the competition to be innovative, do much with R & D, or survive if they ever stumble. It's a hard-scramble life for most of Apple's iDevice competitors.

You say:  "As Apple continues to push technical boundaries with new products, I expect such issues will will always be there."

And I say:  "We know this is the way it goes."

So the disagreement is… what?

Apple has had yield issues with some aspect of almost every product they have released over the last couple years. This is known. Research the history if you weren't taking notice at the time.

Or just go and order a Mac Pro.

• Reply 27 of 75
    The iPad Air is quite lovely as is.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    given that they brought the Mini and Air in line with the A7/M7 it seems more likely that if they do an A8 etc in the Air they will do the same with the Mini at the same time

as for the 13" iPad, yeah i'm thinking it won't come this year. but we will get lots of talk of the reasons for the delay. and again next year and so on. Same as the last 5 years with the 'real tv'
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Well I think Apple should not launch the iPad
    Pro until they can make it light enough because if they will relase 750 g of heavy shit like samsung no one is going to buy that. But frankly I think that it's not such necessary category... I consider even the iPad Air big and heavy after the iPad mini like most people I think.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Apple does not have time.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I'm so against an iPad pro cause who the hell wants to carry a heavy ass tablet?

So because you prefer blondes, all brunettes should be executed? I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use?

• Reply 32 of 75
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

what does working on new products have to do with updating the specs of the mini? One would assume Apple can do both at the same time.

At the time, reports were that work on iOS6 held up completion of something else -- was it Snow Leopard? -- and later that iOS7 interfered with work on Mavericks. If true, it's possible that there's only so much Apple can do at once.

• Reply 33 of 75
    Apple needs a new bigger screen iPhone, so that they can stop their market share from shrinking.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple needs a new bigger screen iPhone, so that they can stop their market share from shrinking.

Where’s your white text ‘/s’ after that? You seem to have forgotten it.

• Reply 35 of 75
    I also believe that the iPad will probably only see spec bumps and possibly TouchID over the next few iterations.

An iPad Pro can come to market when it's ready, and it will surely have it's uses... if... there's optimized software that makes good use of the added screen area, balancing the trade off in added weight. Heavy-ass it won't be, but surely heavier than an Air.

Which brings me to the most pressing need IMO: software. iOS 8 and Mavericks have to mature and start to integrate (NOT MERGE) closer and allow a smooth experience jumping from one to the other. The APIs and frameworks will need to grow ever closer, so that devs can truly make device dependant (not independant... that's the failed MS Mantra) Apps, yet with only the features that are necessary and native to the intended device. Many would say that's what xCode does now, and while true, it has to get even better. Much better.

Services in general, but most of all the build out of iCloud into a true competitor to DropBox and other assorted cloud drive services is a necessity.

I believe we're at a point now with iOS devices quite similar to Mac books and the iMacs of the last few years, that the physical design will stay fairly stagnant, the insides will continue to be boosted... and it will be the software advances that will make them shine and differentiate Apple "The True Device Ecosystem" from the "good enough" mix and match crowd. Heck... we're actually already there, but much more work needs to be done on this front.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The iPad Air was such a leap, we can't expect any more big changes for a while.

No word on a 17" MBP?

• Reply 37 of 75
    He's a moron, Apple is super predictable with their refresh cycles. A8 processor, no shit!! Retina iPad Mini will be refreshed for sure.

Source: common fucking sense.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    I want touch ID on my Magic Mouse but have one fingerprint for 5 passwords.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Let's have a game of 'make ambiguous predictions', like "chances are slim". Or "even if it does happen I will still be correct". Pathetic.

And what about Kuo's thinner MacBook Pro that was launching in July of 2013? Where's that? Oh yeah, as he's on AI's payroll now we won't be hearing about such discrepancies. I predict 2014 will be the year where we see Kuo get a lot of things wrong. 12.9" iPad? Doesn't even make sense. And no, a convertible is not an iPad. So if Apple launch a convertible product, which I'm doubtful of, Kuo will be wrong. Although, as his failings are never called out around here I expect such a revelatory story would have such language as "so this is what Kuo meant by an iPad Pro".
  • Reply 40 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    v5v wrote: »
    So because you prefer blondes, all brunettes should be executed? I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use?

Your reasoning is flawed. The guy is stating an obvious design flaw with a 12.9" tablet: it would be too heavy design wise. That's got nothing to do with killing brunettes, or preferring smaller iPads. I don't see a 12.9" iPad happening for weight and awkwardness reasons. A 12.9" something else perhaps.