Apple unlikely to launch 12.9" iPad or third-gen iPad mini in 2014, iPad Air to gain A8 & Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    peter236 wrote: »
    Apple needs a new bigger screen iPhone, so that they can stop their market share from shrinking.

It's coming this year. Chill.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Would be interesting if they integrated TouchID into a re-designed power button on future MacBooks...
  • Reply 43 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    v5v wrote: »
    At the time, reports were that work on iOS6 held up completion of something else -- was it Snow Leopard? -- and later that iOS7 interfered with work on Mavericks. If true, it's possible that there's only so much Apple can do at once.
    but this report claims the Air will be updated with A8 (and one would assume new iPhone(s) as well). So what extra work would there be in updating the mini with it?
  • Reply 44 of 75
    pjapk wrote: »
    Would be interesting if they integrated TouchID into a re-designed power button on future MacBooks...

But isn't the power button moving/moved to the F-key now? I think it'd be cooler (far more tricky) if they integrated Touch ID into the trackpad.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    but this report claims the Air will be updated with A8 (and one would assume new iPhone(s) as well). So what extra work would there be in updating the mini with it?

Don't get yourself worked up about something you are correct about. The mini will get A8. Chill, bro.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    iPad mini to iPad mini retina was one of the biggest spec jumps I can remember. It is a wonderful piece of gear and can probably sit still for awhile, if resources are needed for other products.
  • Reply 47 of 75

Ok, here's my 2¢ worth. Apple currently sells four iPad models: Air, 2, Mini, Mini w/retina. There have already been rumors that the 2 will soon be dropped. Makes sense as it still has the 30-pin connector. Mini will take over the bottom spot with a small price drop and no significant updates. That leaves both the Air and the Mini-r to be upgraded with 64-bit processors and Touch-ID. The question is when. Best case would be late 2014 for the holidays. I base this on two things: 1) Tim Cook is a logistician - reducing model lines and inventories (both product and parts) is good logistics; 2) Apple is not shy about newer models cannibalizing older models, even the not-so-older ones.

Forget the 12" iPad. There is no usage model that makes any sense. "For business" is not a usage model. What problem does a 12" model solve? What need does it fulfill that can't adequately be done by the Air? I certainly have no answers but my thoughts do go either to another device with a 12" screen or this whole thing is a red herring, a smoke screen, part of Apple's secrecy program.

PS. I find it so-o-o cute that Samsung is introducing a 12.2" tablet as proof that they are "market leaders of innovation and progressive design in the mobile industry"! Gee, did they think of that all by themselves?

• Reply 48 of 75
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Ok, here's my 2¢ worth. Apple currently sells four iPad models: Air, 2, Mini, Mini w/retina. There have already been rumors that the 2 will soon be dropped. Makes sense as it still has the 30-pin connector. Mini will take over the bottom spot with a small price drop and no significant updates. That leaves both the Air and the Mini-r to be upgraded with 64-bit processors and Touch-ID. The question is when. Best case would be late 2014 for the holidays. I base this on two things: 1) Tim Cook is a logistician - reducing model lines and inventories (both product and parts) is good logistics; 2) Apple is not shy about newer models cannibalizing older models, even the not-so-older ones.

Forget the 12" iPad. There is no usage model that makes any sense. "For business" is not a usage model. What problem does a 12" model solve? What need does it fulfill that can't adequately be done by the Air? I certainly have no answers but my thoughts do go either to another device with a 12" screen or this whole thing is a red herring, a smoke screen, part of Apple's secrecy program.

PS. I find it so-o-o cute that Samsung is introducing a 12.2" tablet as proof that they are "market leaders of innovation and progressive design in the mobile industry"! Gee, did they think of that all by themselves?
    Current Air and retina mini are already 64-bit.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Your reasoning is flawed. The guy is stating an obvious design flaw with a 12.9" tablet: it would be too heavy design wise. That's got nothing to do with killing brunettes, or preferring smaller iPads. I don't see a 12.9" iPad happening for weight and awkwardness reasons. A 12.9" something else perhaps.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use? If you prefer a smaller, lighter iPad, buy a smaller, lighter iPad. If I'm prepared to accept greater weight to get a bigger screen, how would that affect you? Why would you care? That's all I'm saying.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying I do or do not want a 13" iPad, I'm just wondering why anyone would object to buyers having more choices?

• Reply 50 of 75
    ireland wrote: »
    Don't get yourself worked up about something you are correct about. The mini will get A8. Chill, bro.
    i know, I just get so annoyed when some analysts brain dump is treated as fact.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Current Air and retina mini are already 64-bit.

Where is that darn auto-correct when you need it! :devil:

• Reply 52 of 75
    v5v wrote: »

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use?

It's not about me, it's about making good products. A 12.9", heavy, awkward iPad makes no sense as a product. Personal choice is besides the point. It's the same as touch screen flip-flops would be, it's dumb. If Apple release a 12.9" product it won't be an iPad.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Ming is usually right so it excited me with his prediction of the iWatch.... but I'm so against an iPad pro cause who the hell wants to carry a heavy ass tablet? Even if its just for businesses, thats really limiting your customers... I dunno.

Oh for crying out loud.

Ming is usually right in the broad strokes...however his details are always sketchy.

Regarding iPad Pro...everyone needs to understand that iOS devices are expanding their reach in terms of screen size. iOS is a fantastic operating system, and everyone (including Apple) is still wondering what the perfect screen size / device size is for certain applications.

iPad is already 7.9" & 9.7". Adding a 12.9" is a great idea...because if you design it like the iPad Air, it won't be much heavier at all...and will be one amazing iPad. No need for a custom OS...iOS is just fine. However, there may very well be some "unique" software features for the iPad Pro, that take advantage of what should be dramatically increased screen real estate.

The iPad Pro would also be an ideal laptop replacement for many people. A keyboard case or something similar is a lot more practical on a nearly 13 inch screen then it is on a 9.7 inch screen.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    It's not about me, it's about making good products. A 12.9", heavy, awkward iPad makes no sense as a product. Personal choice is besides the point. It's the same as touch screen flip-flops would be, it's dumb. If Apple release a 12.9" product it won't be an iPad.

As per usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If the iPad mini were the only iPad to ever exist and Apple was talking about releasing a mythical iPad air, you'd be making the same uninformed uneducated comment about how heavy and awkward it might be.

Bottom line, you have no frigging clue.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    But isn't the power button moving/moved to the F-key now? I think it'd be cooler (far more tricky) if they integrated Touch ID into the trackpad.

Well that's just insane. What are they going to do? Build a gigantic sensor under the entire trackpad surface? You have any idea how ridiculously wasteful and expensive that would be?

Comments like these are a good reason why people should avoid reading yours.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    With the recent air and mini updates- I don't care at all about an iPad anytime this year. Even the iPhone update isn't doing much for me. I'm all about the Apple TV update looming. It's been far too long and I'm downright giddy now to see what's in store.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

As per usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If the iPad mini were the only iPad to ever exist and Apple was talking about releasing a mythical iPad air, you'd be making the same uninformed uneducated comment about how heavy and awkward it might be.

Bottom line, you have no frigging clue.

You're not making sense.

• Reply 58 of 75
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    The adoption of iPad Mini Retina is running at a rate which is a bit more that 1/3 that of the new iPad air, according to Fiksu's usage tracker site.
    http://www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c-Usage-Tracker

What is quite apparent on the iPad usage graph is that the iPad Mini Retina is tracking on a near-perfect straight-line trajectory upslope. I interpret that as an indication of supply constraints controlling the adoption. The iPad Air is also on a straight line growth trajectory which shows no sign of letting up. The only aberration in the chart is a big bump upwards on Christmas Day for both models.

one of Fiksu's usage charts show the rate of adoption by days "since launch" as a percentage of unique devices being tracked by their in-app tools. When evaluation those trend lines, one must understand that the latest devices are now competing with a significant increase in the total population of iPads, in clouding those still being sold actively like the iPad2 and the original iPad Mini.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    togan wrote: »
    I want touch ID on my Magic Mouse but have one fingerprint for 5 passwords.

That is an excellent idea for implementing TouchID on Mac while increasing the value proposition of the Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    togan wrote: »
    I want touch ID on my Magic Mouse but have one fingerprint for 5 passwords.

That is an excellent idea for implementing TouchID on Mac while increasing the value proposition of the Magic Mouse.

Interesting idea but it is feasible. The current Touch ID data is stored in a secure enclave on SoC. Would this element need to be placed in the mouse or would the mouse wirelessly send the Touch ID hash to be read by the Mac? How does this affect the time to unlock or security? On top of that, how many people use the Magic Mouse? My iMac had the Magic Trackpad. Would this affect this feature being added?

Personally, I want to get past having to use my thumb. I want the fabled iWatch to automatically lock and unlock my iPhone, iPad, and Macs when I'm within a certain range of the BLE watch. Basically the iWatch is a moving, personal iBeacon that the aforementioned devices will look for and will unlock when it comes within the near and/or immediate range (not sure of the distances for these labels).

I want the iWatch to have Touch ID and I want it to know when it's been put on and taken off so that it can stop working as an iBeacon if, for instance, you left it on your nightstand and someone else tried to use it to access your devices without your consent. (I don't expect any of this to arrive)