Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple

Comments

• Reply 161 of 340
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Meh.

This is another instance of Google trying to reinvent the wheel. They’re pretty late to the party. If they really wanted to learn about industrial robotics, they should seek out advice from companies like Siemens, Rockwell, Mistubishi, etc. who are highly advanced in this field: http://robohub.org/credit-suisse-picks-7-automationrobotics-stocks/

Sometimes a new player brings something the old guard never thought about, just ask Apple.
  • Reply 162 of 340
    jungmark wrote: »

Yes Jobs saved Apple but he didn't do it alone. No one should downplay the team just to put Jobs on a pedestal.

That is quite trite. Of course no one does things like this by himself/herself.

Do you tend to always say 'Edison and his team,' or 'Musk and lieutenants', or 'Watson and his managers,' ....you get the point ..... when you talk about the accomplishments of leaders and their companies? If you do, you're the only one.
  • Reply 163 of 340
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Sometimes a new player brings something the old guard never thought about, just ask Apple.

Other than search, does Google have a track record of doing that?
  • Reply 164 of 340
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Other than search, does a Google have track record of doing that?

I think we could definitely add email to the list. Google was the first to bring 1GB of storage when Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail were giving something weak like 20MB, not to mention Google bringing decent attachment sizes, a better and more secure UI, and reducing spam considerably. Even today I think Gmail is the best (that I use) for removing spam. I don't think I have gotten any from Gmail in years but I get several per week from iCloud mail. Even years after Gmail launched Apple was woefully behind the times. Even MobileMe mail would send all your personal email data as cleartext via the web interface. This was only resolved with iCloud mail.

Google Docs might be another instance of Google paying the way. I am in limbo over including Google Business (which I use) for my domain's email as an inexpensive, robust, and always available service that seems unmatched but is that doing something substantially different than the "old guard" or merely doing essentially the same thing better than the "old guard"?
  • Reply 165 of 340
    Other than search, does a Google have track record of doing that?

No but neither did Apple. It's usually a new unknown runner that breaks the track record.
  • Reply 166 of 340
    Deleted.
  • Reply 167 of 340
    Deleted. Usual AI posting hassles.
  • Reply 168 of 340
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think we could definitely add email to the list. Google was the first to bring 1GB of storage when Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail were giving something weak like 20MB, not to mention Google bringing decent attachment sizes, a better and more secure UI, and reducing spam considerably. Even today I think Gmail is the best (that I use) for removing spam. I don't think I have gotten any from Gmail in years but I get several per week from iCloud mail. Even years after Gmail launched Apple was woefully behind the times. Even MobileMe mail would send all your personal email data as cleartext via the web interface. This was only resolved with iCloud mail.

Google Docs might be another instance of Google paying the way. I am in limbo over including Google Business (which I use) for my domain's email as an inexpensive, robust, and always available service that seems unmatched but is that doing something substantially different than the "old guard" or merely doing essentially the same thing better than the "old guard"?

Mail, I totally agree. Google Docs is very poorly implemented: almost as bad as Apple's related efforts.

I doubt very much, however, that Google is going to bring some revolutionary thinking to hardware.
  • Reply 169 of 340

No but neither did Apple.

With all due respect, that is plainly nonsense.
  • Reply 170 of 340
    How many times can you write the same article?
  • Reply 171 of 340
    With all due respect, that is plainly nonsense.

Are you forgetting at how nobody thought the iPod/iPhone/iPad would be successful? How many times did people say the same things you said? I'm not saying Google will beat those companies, I'm just saying that it's possible.
  • Reply 172 of 340
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

• Google's driverless cars: 2010 and earlier.

• iOS in the Car: unveiled at WWDC 2013.

• Open Automotive Alliance (Android in cars): announced January 2014.

Google were involved in the automotive arena before Apple, and expanding from driverless cars running Google software to cars augmented with Google software is a fairly logical progression. 

• Google Glass: 2011

• iWatch rumours: 2012 / 2013

• Google smartwatch rumours: 2013

• Google's glucose-sensing contact lens: 2014

'Wearable' does not mean just 'smart watches'. To some extent, Google's not even moving in the same direction as Apple - they're investigating the watch side of things, but Glass and other optical devices are completely different to anything we're hearing about from Apple.

Yeah? Apple has been working on glasses since 2007 when this patent was filed: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8,605,008.PN.&OS=PN/8,605,008&RS=PN/8,605,008

• Reply 173 of 340
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are you forgetting at how nobody thought the iPod/iPhone/iPad would be successful? How many times did people say the same things you said? I'm not saying Google will beat those companies, I'm just saying that it's possible.

I wonder if your disagreement is regarding the term "new player." Apple was a new player to both the handset and tablets markets which were considered to be entrenched and unestablishable, respectively, but Apple wasn't a new player and had proven themselves with the first mass produced "PC," the first GUI PC, and dominating the PMP market, not to mention reinventing and rerouting these markets at their will.
  • Reply 174 of 340
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippinglou View Post

I'm using safari and have not crashed ever on this site. Reinstall your software if not the whole OS

It's always the fault of the user huh?

Once I updated Safari to 6.1.1 just a few weeks ago the crashing of these forums (which was rampant) finally stopped.

That's all I can say on the matter.

• Reply 175 of 340
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That is quite trite. Of course no one does things like this by himself/herself.

Do you tend to always say 'Edison and his team,' or 'Musk and lieutenants', or 'Watson and his managers,' ....you get the point ..... when you talk about the accomplishments of leaders and their companies? If you do, you're the only one.
    But this discussion started with the assertion that Jobs had taste and cared about quality, as if no one else at Apple does (or at least not to the level Jobs did). Sure Jobs made good design and great products the priority at Apple. But he alone couldn't make that happen. He had to have talented employees who shared the same values as he did to make it happen. Two of Steve's closest colleagues/friends, Jony Ive (his design partner) and Eddy Cue (his deal maker and Mr Fix-It) weren't even hired by him. Both of them were at Apple years before Steve came back. And if it wasn't for Tim Cook running all the parts of Apple that Steve didn't care about (Steve never once set foot in China while he was CEO) Steve wouldn't have had all the time to spend on the things he did care about. I think it's totally unfair the way some dismiss Cook just because the things he excels at are different than what Steve excelled at.
  • Reply 176 of 340
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Once I updated Safari to 6.1.1 just a few weeks ago the crashing of these forums (which was rampant) finally stopped.
    That's all I can say on the matter.
    How does one do that on the iPad?
  • Reply 177 of 340
    Quote:

Despite those leaps, Apple's stock has only appreciated by $41, or about 8.3 percent over the past two years. Google's stock has nearly doubled, seeing an increase of 98.5 percent over the same two year period. It's hard to argue that's not delusion in a graph.

Can you say Stock Manipulation?  I knew you could!

A stock like Apple is very easy to manipulate.

• Reply 178 of 340
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

Apple fanboy blogs seem to love talking about Google and what google does, yet google, android fanboy blogs seem to not give a dam. Sites like android central, Google os, literally pretends apple doesn't exist and Apple blogs seem to have this weird hatred for Google, its weird.

ROFLMAO

Short memory problem or playing dumb like all android fanboys?!! Google os was built by copying iOS fully and completely. Remember this from that arrogant f**** ... the so-called father of android?

He was in a cab in Las Vegas, watching a webcast of the presentation. He made the driver pull over so he could see the whole thing. He said, "Holy crap, I guess we're not going to launch that phone."

Honestly, your post is so weird I suggest you google them yourself before rambling.

Android is a stolen product.  Google is trying to kill the iPhone.

• Reply 179 of 340
    Android as we know it is a doubly-stolen product. Basic Android, that was going to run those bogus Blackberries that Rubin canceled at that point was stolen from Oracle, and the GUI that people think of as "Android" now was stolen from Apple. Incompetently in both cases. Unfortunately, Google being brought to book for either theft is somewhere between slim and none. They'll let hardware manufacturers take the heat on patent infringement.
  • Reply 180 of 340

I've heard the stolen claim a lot while posting here, but I'm not sure I know what the allegations are exactly. When you say 'the GUI' was stolen, what exactly do you mean? Early Android looked very little like iOS to my eyes, so I wonder if perhaps you're talking about concepts?

This thread might not be the appropriate place for discussing this but I'm just interested in getting a solid definition of what people consider stolen. Cheers.