Apple design chief Jony Ive temporarily disappears from executive leadership directory [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
A Monday morning update to Apple's executive leadership page saw Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive's profile dropped from the list of Apple's most senior leaders, though it has since been reinstated.

Executive Profiles

Update: Ive's profile has reappeared on Apple's website, with no changes to his biography. An Apple spokesperson told the BBC's Dave Lee that the company was "in the process of updating the Exec Profiles."

Ive's name and photo no longer appear alongside those of Apple CEO Tim Cook and other SVP-level executives like hardware chief Dan Riccio and marketing czar Phil Schiller. The last executive whose profile was removed without a pre-announcement was Bob Mansfield, who stepped down from the company's senior leadership team but remained with Apple to work on "special projects."

Unlike those who have left Apple in the past, a direct link to Ive's executive profile is still active. Profiles of executives that have left the company completely, like former iOS chief Scott Forstall, draw a 404 "can't be found" error.

The change comes less than one year after Ive was promoted to his current role. His portfolio was expanded to cover software as well as hardware design after Forstall's departure, and Ive's title was shortened from senior vice president of industrial design to senior vice president of design last June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
  • Reply 2 of 77
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Check again, he's there. http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/
  • Reply 3 of 77
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    AI, you do realize a mistake like this could have stock market ramifications. Please update this article right away before those crazy analysts go wild.

--Just adding an update to the title does nothing. Please change the title so search engines don't pick up the mistake. Or just delete the article.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see he's back and nothing on the site appears to have changed. Wonder why it was taken down in the first place?

EDIT: and couldn't they have replaced his photo with one more current, where he's smiling perhaps. The guy does know how to smile.

marc-newson-bono-and-jony-ive-on-the-red-carpet.jpg
  • Reply 5 of 77
    He must have stopped innovating. Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see he's back and nothing on the site appears to have changed. Wonder why it was taken down in the first place?

Ever heard of a mistake, just maybe? WAG on my part but seems reasonable. Possibly when business hours start there will be a short press release?

• Reply 7 of 77
    Ever heard of a mistake, just maybe? WAG on my part but seems reasonable. Possibly when business hours start there will be a short press release?
    According to the BBC Apple said it was in the process of updating executive profiles. Doesn't look like anything was changed though. Perhaps they're still working on it and threw Ive back up there (same photo/bio) so rumors wouldn't spread further.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

The glory and the misery of copy and paste...

• Reply 9 of 77
    Hell of a way to start the day, walk in and your name's been taken off your door
  • Reply 10 of 77
    I have been updating my own website all weekend. You make a change, upload it, look at it, and say, "Wow, I really screwed up that picture or that link", and you try again.

I'm guessing the same thing happened here.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    The chief designer has not made major changes to the design of the iPhone since iPhone 4, what do you expect? The lack of creativity has allowed the competition to increase the lead.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    peter236 wrote: »
    The chief designer has not made major changes to the design of the iPhone since iPhone 4, what do you expect? The lack of creativity has allowed the competition to increase the lead.
    And what design changes has the competition made besides making the screen bigger? How difficult is that?
  • Reply 13 of 77
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

If this actually happened, $AAPL might actually rise. 

• Reply 14 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rob53 wrote: »
    AI, you do realize a mistake like this could have stock market ramifications. Please update this article right away before those crazy analysts go wild.

--Just adding an update to the title does nothing. Please change the title so search engines don't pick up the mistake. Or just delete the article.

WELL SAID!
  • Reply 15 of 77
    This just in.... Apple updates website. Analysts predict that they are on the verge of bankruptcy. Stock drops 500 points.....
  • Reply 16 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    If this actually happened, $AAPL might actually rise. 

I understand the humor there, butI doubt it, good news the stock falls and bad news the stock falls. Only Apple buying AAPL seems to work. I fully expect to be one of a few (probably mostly AI contributors) left holding AAPL other than Apple the way things are going! :D
  • Reply 17 of 77
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Unfortunately that ship sailed the second the story was posted.  There is nothing you could do to appease the idiots I mean analyst s after something like that.  Although I have to admit, that is a major blunder on Apple's part, accident or not.  Right or wrong any other company on the planet could get away with a goof like this but not Apple.  Looks like a good day to buy!

• Reply 18 of 77
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Good thing the markets are close, I hope this is get solved before tomorrow.

• Reply 19 of 77
    herbapou wrote: »
    Good thing the markets are close, I hope this is get solved before tomorrow.
    I hope it's not a Bob Mansfield situation.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what design changes has the competition made besides making the screen bigger? How difficult is that?

But they're bigger!  That means something right?  Who cares about a 64-bit processor, touch ID, iBeacons, etc.  None of that matters (at least until Android gets something similar).  ;-)