Google Translate gets iOS 7 support, Clear to go free for 24 hours

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Google on Tuesday updated its translation app with native iOS 7 support and additional languages, while Realmac Software announced that popular to-do list app Clear will be offered for free for 24 hours.

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Translate now takes advantage of the redesigned keyboard and status bar introduced with iOS 7. The app was one of the last of Google's native iOS apps to add support for Apple's most recent operating system revision.

In addition, users can now enter handwriting in a variety of new languages including Arabic, Esperanto, Gujarati, Hebrew, Javanese, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Persian, Punjabi, Telugu, and Zulu.

Google Translate version 2.1.0 is available now as a free, 3.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Clear

Clear

Realmac Software has elected to return to a single Clear app, rather than the two editions currently in the store, and will drop the price of the original Clear app to free in order to allow users who purchased the newer Clear+ to migrate without the need to pay. The price drops will be in effect for two separate 24-hour periods "in the coming weeks."

Owners of Clear+ can sign up on Clear's website to be notified when the price drops go live. Users with the original edition of Clear will not need to do anything and will continue to receive upgrades.

At the same time, the company has updated the original Clear app to add iPad support, which had been the primary difference between Clear and Clear+.

Clear version 1.3.6 is available now as a $4.99, 9.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    The handwriting recognition is surprisingly good, from a few quick scribble tests anyway. Makes me miss my MP2100.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Google hangouts app needs an ios7 update too
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The handwriting recognition is surprisingly good, from a few quick scribble tests anyway. Makes me miss my MP2100.

That does work really well. I always thought Translate was a pretty decent app.

• Reply 4 of 20
    I am confused by clear going free. Assuming the non published times are to prevent tons of people downloading for free (as I don't think they can limit who does her it free).

Speaking of iOS 7 updates, when is the AI app going to support iOS 7?
  • Reply 5 of 20

No google Apps for me thanks. 

Keep your iPhone Google free & be happy.  Use SIRI for searching.

• Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

No google Apps for me thanks. 

Keep your iPhone Google free & be happy.  Use SIRI for searching.

Ever heard of the expression

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

Google Translate is the best translation app available ....and it is is free. 

Please let us know which app you use which has equal functionality and feature set... for FREE or at any price!

• Reply 7 of 20
    With Google Translate - is it possible to point the camera at some chinese text and have the text show up into the window where it can be translated. That would sure beat trying to "write" it into the window so it can be translated...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Speaking of iOS 7 updates, when is the AI app going to support iOS 7?

Which part isn't iOS7 compatible/optimised? Both iPhone & iPad apps are just that...at my end.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    ohhh this very good because I use very much google translate.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ever heard of the expression

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

Google Translate is the best translation app available ....and it is is free. 

Please let us know which app you use which has equal functionality and feature set... for FREE or at any price!

Well, I can speak 3 languages and I don't translate much.  

For people who want to translate on their iPhone, I recommend iTranslate.

I just don't like any Google app on my iPhone because they always have an ulterior motive.

I don't trust Google nowadays and I think most of their so called partners don't trust them either; including Samsung.

• Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Well, I can speak 3 languages and I don't translate much.  

I just don't like any Google app on my iPhone because they always have an ulterior motive.

I don't trust Google nowadays and I think most of their so called partners don't trust them either; including Samsung.

Compared to Samsung, I think Google is probably the lesser of two evils. Google might be selling you and your search data, but at least the process has become a bit more transparent. It's just on you to understand that it's happening. Samsung, on the other hand, hides a lot of shady activities and corruption. Both should be watched, but I will gladly Google something knowing what's going on behind the scenes (to some extent) than buy a phone/appliance from a company who pays people off and copies everyone else. 

• Reply 12 of 20
    Compared to Samsung, I think Google is probably the lesser of two evils. Google might be selling you and your search data, but at least the process has become a bit more transparent. It's just on you to understand that it's happening. Samsung, on the other hand, hides a lot of shady activities and corruption. Both should be watched, but I will gladly Google something knowing what's going on behind the scenes (to some extent) than buy a phone/appliance from a company who pays people off and copies everyone else. 

I get your point, and think it's a good one. Still, I think the world is better off without any shady or corrupt activities going on, in any sector. Personally I could do without either company, but it looks like they're both here to stay.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    philboogie wrote: »
    Which part isn't iOS7 compatible/optimised? Both iPhone & iPad apps are just that...at my end.

Optimized may be a poor choice of words. It is still using the iOS 6 keyboard, buttons, and too bar.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Optimized may be a poor choice of words. It is still using the iOS 6 keyboard, buttons, and too bar.

Ah, gotcha. Hadn't even noticed, but I mix 6 with 7.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Still, I think the world is better off without any shady or corrupt activities going on, in any sector.

Ideally, yes. But every company, even Apple, is guilty of something shady somewhere. Of course, some of these activities are less evil than others. Some may even suggest these activities in some way even benefit the end user/customer. Like, Google apps/services for one. We get to use their stuff for free…you could probably call it our "employee discount".

• Reply 16 of 20
    philboogie wrote: »
    Still, I think the world is better off without any shady or corrupt activities going on, in any sector.
    Ideally, yes. But every company, even Apple, is guilty of something shady somewhere. Of course, some of these activities are less evil than others. Some may even suggest these activities in some way even benefit the end user/customer.

Good point
    Like, Google apps/services for one. We get to use their stuff for free…you could probably call it our "employee discount".

Lol, and could work as their tagline:
    Google apps.
    For free,
    by employee discount
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I get your point, and think it's a good one. Still, I think the world is better off without any shady or corrupt activities going on, in any sector. Personally I could do without either company, but it looks like they're both here to stay.

a world without humans would be a boring place.   - Siri.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/162086/google-translate-gets-ios-7-support-clear-to-go-free-for-24-hours#post_2474106 layout=inline]a world without humans would be a boring place.   - Siri.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Except when Siri talks to Siri (insert [VIDEO ]..some funny youtube clip [/VIDEO ] here...I don't use that and there aren't any good ones on Vimeo
  • Reply 19 of 20

More privacy-friendly Google crap? No, thanks.

• Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

I went to the App Store to check it out. It has 4-1/2 stars but when you read through the reviews, the 5 star ratings just say single words like "awesome" or "I love this app". Then when you get to the low scores you get long detailed explanations of the problems and shortcomings. Even the 4 star reviews mostly have some negative remarks. Thanks for the recommendations but with the new handwriting feature, I think Google Translate is a clear winner.

I find that Translate does have some odd phrases between English and Spanish but I mostly need it to read Japanese. One thing I always test is to copy the resulting translation back into the translator and see how good of a job it is doing in reverse. Amazingly, with Japanese back and forth to English and Spanish, it works really well. Also with 20 or so Spanish dialects, it does a really good job with speech input.