Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
South Korean electronics giant Samsung has once again focused its marketing resources on mocking Apple, this time promoting the new Galaxy Tab Pro with a spoof of the "Pencil" ad used to introduce the iPad Air.

The ad, posted to Samsung's YouTube page on Wednesday, opens by slowly zooming on a pencil described as "extremely pointy." The camera then rises to reveal an iPad Air hiding behind the writing instrument as the voiceover expresses mild incredulity at the tablet's discovery.

As the camera moves beyond the iPad, Samsung's latest slate comes into focus. "Ah, the even thinner Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1," the voiceover exclaims before marveling at the Galaxy Tab Pro's profile, which is some eight one-thousandths of an inch more svelte than the iPad.

Other features like the Samsung tablet's 2,560-pixel-by-1,600-pixel screen -- "for more robo beatdown action" -- and Samsung's proprietary multitasking system are also called out, before the commercial's narrator elects to take both the Galaxy Tab Pro and the pencil.

Samsung's marketing team has made something of a habit out of poking fun at Apple's products, users, and advertising in recent years. A series of ads in 2012 ad took aim at Apple customers waiting in line to purchase the newest iPhone, while a subsequent set in 2013 called into question the iPhone's "cool factor" and its international language support.

Seoul-based Samsung also took a not-insignificant amount of heat for the commercial it used to launch its Galaxy Gear smartwatch last October. The spot was a near shot-for-shot recreation of Apple's original 2007 iPhone ad, even going so far as to use a aimilar clip from animated series The Flintstones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 205
    Rule #1 in the battle to win the #2 spot in the market: Compare yourself to the #1 product.
  • Reply 2 of 205

I must say, a multitasking feature on the iPad would be a big plus. On several occasions I wanted to access my email or look something up during a FaceTime session and I was quite annoyed that I couldn't without being kicked out of my session.

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

I do find the iPhone's narrow portrait screen useless for browsing the web, yes I'd love a larger screen. I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth.

The stylus would be nice for designers on the iPad, but I feel it would be no more more than a gimmick on a phone.

• Reply 3 of 205
    whatever
  • Reply 4 of 205
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

On what phone can you do that?

• Reply 5 of 205
    Yes great samsung ! Take your tab and your pencil, left the Air for me !
  • Reply 6 of 205
    I must say, a multitasking feature on the iPad would be a big plus. On several occasions I wanted to access my email or look something up during a FaceTime session and I was quite annoyed that I couldn't without being kicked out of my session.

I do find the iPhone's narrow portrait screen useless for browsing the web, yes I'd love a larger screen. I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth.

The stylus would be nice for designers on the iPad, but I feel it would be no more more than a gimmick on a phone.

Why is it that I can be on FaceTime and switch to my email or any other app and return to my FaceTime call? I don't think Your're correct about this. But maybe I am missing something.
  • Reply 7 of 205

Have you ever watched something and been absolutely embarrassed for the people that made it? This is one of those times.

• Reply 8 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On what phone can you do that?

Before I had an iPhone I used to do it on my flip-phone. There had been several occasions where I wanted to tell someone that someone else called at a certain time and his number is such and such

• Reply 9 of 205

They forgot to mention that although it will last half as long on a full battery charge, that should never be a problem for real Summy users who always have a spare battery with them.

• Reply 10 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You can switch out of the FaceTime app without being "kicked out" of your session. Audio communication continues while your video is paused...

• Reply 11 of 205
    Rule #1 in the battle to win the #2 spot in the market: Compare yourself to the #1 product.

Weak
  • Reply 12 of 205

Poor Samsung!  Even their ads live in Apple's shadows.  How sad it must be to work for a company that compares itself to the bar set by others rather than setting the bar.

• Reply 13 of 205
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    The pencil commercial is too obscure for a good parody.

Who dreams of cutting out Lebron and pasting him into the clouds ? Nobody!

Why take the pencil at the end? In case your galaxy gear runs out of battery and you need a pencil?
  • Reply 14 of 205
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

This tactic is perfectly fine if the goal is to be #1 among among those vying for the #2 spot. This probably makes this a shoo-in sale for those looking for a non-Apple tablet they can tell iPad owners is better than their overpriced Crapple iCrap.

Is that ad even truthful regarding "two things on screen at once?" You can have more than two things on the screen at once, you just can't have side-by-side apps that aren't part of the iOS system.

jason98 wrote: »
    They forgot to mention that although it will last half as long on a full battery charge, that should never be a problem for real Summy users who always have a spare battery with them.

No fair¡ You're getting info an informed discussion about the utility of the product.

512ke wrote: »
    Why take the pencil at the end? In case your galaxy gear runs out of battery and you need a pencil?

I think taking the pencil is to imply that even a cheap Number 2 pencil is more desirable than the iPad Air.
  • Reply 15 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballrob99 View Post

You can switch out of the FaceTime app without being "kicked out" of your session. Audio communication continues while your video is paused...

I see, I'll have to try that next time... It would be nice to share the screen between two apps, like Mail and Safari.

• Reply 16 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

That's an ignorant statement.

Hell, Samsung has a pint with these ads. It's time we have better multitasking (browsing and taking notes, for example) and the iPhone screen is pathetically small, despite destroying the note on everything else.

• Reply 17 of 205
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Did we all expect anything different, when you can not stand on your own you bash the competition, not like apple didn't do that in the past and make it work for themselves.

But who pencil thing goes back to the mac days, 

• Reply 18 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that ad even truthful regarding "two things on screen at once?" You can have more than two things on the screen at once, you just can't have side-by-side apps that aren't part of the iOS system.

I agree that iOS is a super multitasking OS, with many background tasks running simultaneously, but running multiple front-end apps side by side will be a nice feature to have. It will be a tough decision for Apple to make since they may be perceived by some as trailing behind Windows 8 and Android in features.

• Reply 19 of 205
    Do you know what else is thinner than a pencil? A Korean penis.
  • Reply 20 of 205
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So Sammy proves again it has no original ideas in product design or advertising. So sad.