Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for $16B plus $3B in RSUs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Facebook has a market cap of $173b for 1.2b users. If Facebook users are worth $144 each and they can monetize 450m WhatsApp users the same way, that would suggest the company is worth $65b to them. 

I think you may be double-counting many hundreds of millions of users.....

• Reply 42 of 104
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

What did your friends think the Messages app that comes with the phone did?

They didn't.  In Germany, they were paying for regular text messages.  They weren't using it.  So even when iMessage went mainstream, they didn't know and still continued to not use Messages.

In my experiences both here and (especially) abroad, ignorance of technology is really the norm.  It's why I always tell people here and on other threads that tech people here do not represent the knowledge of the masses.  I spent about 30 minutes showing them all new stuff of iOS7 and other native functionality and they were just in awe at the things we all here take for granted.

To them, it's all about apps.  None of them knew about FaceTime Audio.  Took a few times to explain it to them before it kicked in.

• Reply 43 of 104
    The reason why whatsapp is so popular at least here in South America is that from the 40+ contacts that have whatsapp only 3 have iPhones. So it is much more convenient to just use whatsapp with all of them.

If they merge the two message systems and that allows us to send messages to people on Facebook too that would be an improvement.

Other than that I don't really see any positives with this buyout
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Really?  Why?

At least Larry Page made the world a better place.  I use Google everyday and I think I'm more knowledgable and effective as a human being because of it. In contrast, fanatic users of Facebook are often worse people because of their Facebook habit.  

I am sure Larry is knowledgeable in your likes / dislikes too and provides you with effective Ads! :p

With that said, I fully respect your choice.

• Reply 45 of 104
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

There's another tech stock crash coming...........

I'm afraid you are right, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and Netflix will take tech down.

• Reply 46 of 104
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yeah, right. Stock isn't real money.

If you agree, just give me $12B in FB stock. I'm sure FB stockholders won't mind either.

Bitcoins?

• Reply 47 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

PhilBoogie,

For me 4 + 12 = 16. It may be different for you.

Which part of, "Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for $16B", did you actually miss in the title AND in the article? It does not matter if Facebook is paying $4B in cash and $12B in stock. The amount still adds to $16B.

The next time you choose to stupidly respond to one of my posts, don't.

I case someone else doesn't respond to your limited knowledge, you don't know what you don't know. The $12B is stock transfer has not been described, and it would not surprise me if the stock transaction has some restrictions -- such restrictions are typical. The real value at this time is not known.

• Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

I trust Zuckerberg more than Page! ;)

That's like saying I'd rather be shot than stabbed ;)

• Reply 49 of 104

I think everybody is missing the point. Simply the original creators of FB are tired of searching/spying two different data centers, so they decided to combine them into one.   The amount of money is irrelevant.

• Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

That's like saying I'd rather be shot than stabbed ;)

I hear ya ... what can I say ... I hate google that much!

• Reply 51 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you may be double-counting many hundreds of millions of users.....

Not to mention not a single web site I have ever socialized has ever seen a dollar out of my pocket, through any form of advertising.

• Reply 52 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You mean the keyword 'including' refers to the later on mentioned $3B in additional stock? Strange way of using words, then again, English is a language I'll never understand properly.

$4B is obviously a ridiculous amount for this service, but I guess the widespread use is what sets it so high. I should've typed the 'only' in italic or something

Gotcha. I just find it repugnant these corporations exist and are ballooning Wall Street who is legally siphoning billions off of these web portal 2.0 sites.

• Reply 53 of 104
    sflocal wrote: »
    I came back from Germany a few weeks ago.  My friends there were all using WhatsApp on their iPhones.  What was funny is that when I explained to them what iMessage does (including FaceTime Audio), they all said they had no idea the iPhone works that way so they all jettisoned WhatsApp.  In addition, I trust Apple to keep my contact info secure versus have some 3rd-party company have access to my contact info.

The problem is iMessage is a closed system with no web, Windows, Android, or Linux client. iMessage is only good if you live in an all Apple world. It's a shame Apple refuses to open their API - I doubt they ever will.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    donpedro wrote: »
    I think everybody is missing the point. Simply the original creators of FB are tired of searching/spying two different data centers, so they decided to combine them into one.   The amount of money is irrelevant.

Interesting, depending on the details you are referring to. Original creators? Are they not who they seem to be?

Spying? Ordinary Big Data spying, or something extraordinary and hidden? Please divulge.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    Kai Ryssdal just went ahead on his national radio show "Marketplace" and said we're in a tech bubble.

Edit: corrected typo on old Kai's stellar name.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Kat Ryssdal just went ahead on his national radio show "Marketplace" and said we're in a tech bubble.

Hoo… All right: guesses on when it’ll pop? I mean, we know Amazon and Google are the result of the bubble, but popping time, anyone? 2017?

• Reply 57 of 104
    I seem to remember that the talk of a bubble and the pop were only several months apart last time.

But then I also remember that it was the "election" of the "president" was what ended the party. So you may not want to quote me on this.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Overrated. Did the Google guy that brokered the Moto acquisition move to Facebook?

LOL, nice comparison. By the time the proof is available, everyone will have forgotten about it.

• Reply 59 of 104
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snapplez View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I came back from Germany a few weeks ago.  My friends there were all using WhatsApp on their iPhones.  What was funny is that when I explained to them what iMessage does (including FaceTime Audio), they all said they had no idea the iPhone works that way so they all jettisoned WhatsApp.  In addition, I trust Apple to keep my contact info secure versus have some 3rd-party company have access to my contact info.

It's a shame Apple refuses to open their API - I doubt they ever will.

if someone can figure out how opening up the iMessage API would help Apple's product sales business model then I'm sure they would be all ears.

The whole reason for iMessage's existence is to promote the sales of Apple devices, not to promote iMessage itself. Its about the product, not the service.

• Reply 60 of 104
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

There is another $3 billion reserved in restricted stock, just not part of the initial purchase it seems. $16B + $3B = $19B.