Rumor: Apple working on 4.7", 5.6" iPhones for release in Q3 2014

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Again you failed to describe it. Facetime audio can be made using cellular tower.

Direct from Apple website:

• *FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply."

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? Exactly what term could I have possibly used would satisfy you to the point where there no room for pedantic nit picking hissyfits. Did I need to list and exclude every single type of VoiP including CUseeMe that might run on some emulator? I also left out Google Voice, Yahoo messenger and probably dozens more. How about this, cellular voice calls that use SID and MTSO. Clear now?

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone3.htm

• Reply 62 of 156
    How many years has a jumbo iPhone rumor been around, how many times has it come true, How many people will use a 5 inch device with one hand, what is point of making phone size of book?
  • Reply 63 of 156
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...executives at the company may not refer to a larger, more premium 5.6-inch model with the existing "iPhone" brand.

iPhablet!

• Reply 64 of 156
    Why not keep the screen the same size but put a convex screen on it that magnifies? Best of both worlds. Smaller form factor, larger appearance. Can I patent it? /s
  • Reply 65 of 156
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

Yeah, I didn't think I wanted a bigger phone until my partner got a Note 3, and now I realise why all the criticisms of larger phones are bogus. It fits fine in my pocket, I can use it one handed( it even has an option to squish the keyboard to one side for those with tiny hands) and now my iphone seems almost comically little. If Apple doesn't release a larger phone, I will be switching to the Note series next fall.

I wish apple was still competing in this game, but every other company is now offering more for less, and unfortunately a fingerprint scanner and a pretty iOS don't hide it's shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and I am rooting for them, but right now I'm a little disappointed. Hopefully they wow this fall.

This post is epically hilarious.  I've saved it for posterity's sake.

"Don't me wrong, I love Apple and I am rooting for them, but ..." sealed the deal. :)

• Reply 66 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If I had meant to include VoiP, Skype, FaceTime, or other types of calls I would have included that. It is pretty much understood when you are talking about voice calls you mean cellular using towers which neither iPod touch nor iPad can do. Do I real need to define a phone and voice calls? Why are you sticking your nose in this anyway, don't you have some Brits to irritate. Pretty clear that Claudia was a female judges name by the way and instead of saying you were wrong and apologized you doubled down and embarrassed yourself further so I don't think you are in any position to suggest anyone ever apologize. 

So, satellite phones aren't "capable of making voice calls?"  Wow.  Didn't know that.  Thanks, man.

• Reply 67 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

The 3.5 inch screen is the only one that can be easily used with one hand by pretty much everybody.

People say that a lot and I still don't get it. What's the supposed benefit of one-handed use? How is this particular characteristic so important that it trumps many other use-case scenarios, not least of which being web browsing that is just slightly less than utterly impossible?

Everyone on the train is using two hands regardless of device. Obviously I have no objection to your desire to use your phone with one hand -- whatever works for you is cool with me -- I just don't understand it. What am I missing?

• Reply 68 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Why not keep the screen the same size but put a convex screen on it that magnifies? Best of both worlds. Smaller form factor, larger appearance. Can I patent it? /s

The iTARDIS? Looks small on the outside but once you slide to unlock...
  • Reply 69 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

People say that a lot and I still don't get it. What's the supposed benefit of one-handed use? How is this particular characteristic so important that it trumps many other use-case scenarios, not least of which being web browsing that is just slightly less than utterly impossible?

Everyone on the train is using two hands regardless of device. Obviously I have no objection to your desire to use your phone with one hand -- whatever works for you is cool with me -- I just don't understand it. What am I missing?

You aren't missing anything. I hold my iPhone with one hand while calling or for very short bursts like looking at a text or checking something quickly but if I use it for more than a minute I tend to naturally gravitate to two handed use as do most people I have observed. People like to mock anecdotal evidence here but I think Apple have already realized this trend as well which is why they plan to do something about it. 

• Reply 70 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

So, satellite phones aren't "capable of making voice calls?"  Wow.  Didn't know that.  Thanks, man.

They certainly can. They are also extremely expensive and extremely rare compared to cellphones that can be bought at Walmart for $15. Only an idiot would use a satellite phone as a daily phone unless they live in the mountains, the desert, antarctica   or some other distant location far away from civilization  without cellphone towers or perhaps they are a spy or have some other specialized usage. The nit pickers are out in full force today. 

• Reply 71 of 156
    Marvin wrote: »

You missed my prediction of 4.67" on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 72 of 156
    Quote:

They certainly can. They are also extremely expensive and extremely rare compared to cellphones that can be bought at Walmart for $15. Only an idiot would use a satellite phone as a daily phone unless they live in the mountains, the desert, antarctica   or some other distant location far away from civilization  without cellphone towers or perhaps they are a spy or have some other specialized usage. The nit pickers are out in full force today. 

I didn't say they were cheap or that many people use them.

And it's not nit-picking.  You used an incorrect phrase ad people are calling you on it.  Why not just rephrase what you said?

• Reply 73 of 156
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    gwmac wrote: »
    50% of the world are women that tend to use purses to carry their phones. It really wouldn't be that hard to carry a 5.6" iPhone in a purse. And men also seem to manage with the Note III so I am not sure if your criticism is valid for men either. In any event if Apple were to offer such an iPhone it is doubtful they would discontinue a smaller version so it would not effect you. Choice is a good thing. 
    Women wear purses when they go out. What about during at work, at the gym, take a walk? They need to put the phone in the pocket somewhere, dont they? Women wears purses now, and I dont see them chosing big screen phone over current iPhone. Your argument failed.
  • Reply 74 of 156
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

What you're missing is that people prefer to use the phone with one hand most of the times.
  • Reply 75 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Women wears purses now, and I dont see them chosing big screen phone over current iPhone.

My experience completely contradicts that. Based solely on what I see on the bus and SkyTrain in Vancouver, the smaller the woman, the bigger the phone. Seriously. I considered starting a photo demonstration but decided it might be perceived as creepy and get my transit privileges revoked.

Women in THIS market absolutely, unequivocally, definitely ARE choosing big screen phones over the current iPhone and are doing so in very healthy numbers, at least according to my admittedly unscientific casual observation. Three or four years ago it seemed like everywhere you looked you'd see only iPhones. Now it seems like there's a much broader mix of brands and sizes. Others who ride Vancouver's SkyTrain will back me up on this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What you're missing is that people prefer to use the phone with one hand most of the times.

I guess either you misunderstood what I wrote or just chose to ignore it. I said I do NOT see people using their phones with one hand. Exactly the opposite. Whether walking around downtown or in the mall, sitting on the train or at the coffee shop, people almost exclusively use two hands. It's extremely rare that I see someone working their phoneputer with just one hand.

Don't take my word for it, look around. Because of discussions like this I now actively observe others whenever I'm alone in a crowd. Maybe it's different in other places, but I can't imagine there would be a huge variation in behaviour from one metropolitan area to another. Is there somewhere specific I should be looking?

Is it possible that you just like having your other hand free while using your phone so you assume others do too? Because respectfully and honestly, I'm just not seeing the trend you claim.

• Reply 76 of 156
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So the iPad will get a bigger 12" version iPad Pro as well as a Nano version 5.6" iPad Nano.

But what difference does that make if an iPad can do Phone calls as well?

If anything, Apple may make Facetime Audio the default option. But I wonder why will other people call to Facetime Audio Devices?

Again Zero Bezel will still make a 5" iPhone Possible for one hand use.
  • Reply 77 of 156

@gwmac - Dude, you're losing it. Just get a grip. Relax.

• Reply 78 of 156
    Quote:

Casting serious doubt upon that report, however, was a claim that the new handsets would feature a pixel density of 441 pixels-per-inch. That number is off by eight pixels, if Apple were to maintain the 16:9 screen aspect ratio currently found on the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5.

What does PPI have to do with aspect ratio?

• Reply 79 of 156

dont you have some Brits to irritate.

Better lay off the “nationalistic slurs”. Crowley won’t like it.

• Reply 80 of 156
    Quote:

This post is epically hilarious.  I've saved it for posterity's sake.

"Don't me wrong, I love Apple and I am rooting for them, but ..." sealed the deal. :)

You miss my point. I personally will not be buying another iPhone if they do not increase the screen size. Apple will obviously continue to have success. I have a work computer (Macbook Pro) and I have an iPhone. I cannot justify buying an iPad when I feel I should be able to do everything I could do on it on my phone. I want a phone big enough to sit and play games and browse the web and watch videos without having to lug around my work computer or spend even more money on an iPad. Squinting at a 4" screen or constantly having to use two fingers to zoom in and out on every article is annoying as hell.(so much for one handed use) I literally do not use my iPhone unless I absolutely have to, because it's such an annoyance. This is my own personal experience, but I don't think it's unique. I prefer Apple's UI but I want the big screen more than I want a pretty presentation.