iPhone launch propels China Mobile to biggest 3G subscriber increase ever

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
China Mobile added more high-speed data customers in January than at any other point in its history, bringing on more than 14 million new 3G subscribers in the company's first month as one of Apple's official carrier partners.

iPhone launches on China Mobile

The world's largest wireless carrier saw 3G subscriptions increase by 7.4 percent in January, more than 25 percent higher than its sub-6-percent growth rate in December. The numbers were revealed in a Thursday morning note to investors, obtained by AppleInsider, from Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White.

China Mobile began selling the iPhone on Jan. 17 after years of stop-and-start negotiations. Though official numbers have not been revealed, it is believed that Apple supplied China Mobile with nearly 2 million iPhones to cover January sales.

In contrast to China Mobile's record numbers, top competitor China Unicom saw 3G subscriptions nose upward at just 3.2 percent month-over-month, while third-place China Telecom stayed flat. China Mobile now counts some 47 percent of the country's 3G subscribers as customers, up nearly 10 percentage points from its position one year ago.

White wrote that he remains optimistic about Apple's future in China, a market that Apple chief Tim Cook has repeatedly pegged as being one of the company's most important going forward. White believes that Apple's position will only grow stronger as China Mobile continues to roll out its 4G TD-LTE network, which now serves fewer than 15 markets in a country that boasts more than 150 cities with populations greater than 1 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

This makes me so mad, I think I’ll lower Apple’s stock by $5.65.

Oh, hey, look at that.

• Reply 2 of 22
    Time to downgrade Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 22

Clearly Apple's best days are behind them.  /s

• Reply 4 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hot damn. Poor people in China and no growth. WS told me so.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    It's interesting they had 14 million subscribers added to their '3G' network and I think it's hard to argue that the iPhone wasn't a big part of that, but they only show 4.66 million new net adds to their network which is right in line with every other month (about 4 to 5 million) even after China Unicom and China Telecom had the iPhone. I would have expected more users to jump to China Mobile.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.chinamobileltd.com/en/global/home.php
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 6 of 22
    A teaser for the know-it-all-analysts... China's smartphone adoption in 2013 was at 0.22 vs US at 0.45 in 2013. That means adoption has potential to double before they can be considered mature. At the same time, AAPL's market share was a meagre 7% in Q4. If they were to achieve let's say 20% share while adoption increases to let's say 0.33, that would mean a shipment increase of 430%... of course Tim Cook has all his eyes on China... and forget about the analysts who are preaching that the market is mature. Yes, the feature phone market is nearing maturity. Real smartphones, medical devices in your watch etc is just getting started...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The world's largest wireless carrier saw 3G subscriptions increase by 7.4 percent in January, more than 25 percent higher than its sub-6-percent growth rate in December. 

That 1.4% difference in growth is all because of Apple.  China Mobile should have signed on years ago!  Idiots.

• Reply 8 of 22
    Well, at least they got wiser and made the deal on Apple's terms - just like NTT Docomo... Guess they never really had a choice. There is no differentiation with telecom operators anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sudonym wrote: »
    That 1.4% difference in growth is all because of Apple.  China Mobile should have signed on years ago!  Idiots.

In all fairness, I don't think their '3G' network is that old and even if they started their build out, say, by the time when China Unicom first signed on it would still have been pretty poor. Even today I think they have a long way to go before they a decent '3G' rollout over their network, as opposed to just decent coverage over major cities.
    jaytee wrote: »
    Well, at least they got wiser and made the deal on Apple's terms - just like NTT Docomo... Guess they never really had a choice. There is no differentiation with telecom operators anymore.

I'm not so sure about. NTT DoCoMo had no leverage for the relatively small state of Japan and their bleeding of subscribers but China Mobile was still growing at about 4 to 5 million new subs per month and has a size that allows Apple's too to grow their iPhone potential subscriber base substantially one last time before having to resort to a lower cost device. To me, this means China Mobile was holding the better hand.
  • Reply 10 of 22
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Q: What's Apple's "next big thing"?
    A: China.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Time to downgrade Apple.

Barclays already did.

• Reply 13 of 22

I own a ton of Facebook - but the true gold in  my portfolio is 6000 shares of Apple (stock/options).

Barclays guy is an IDIOT / DELUXE.  

These numbers show the obvious - like in Japan Apple is the reach product that consumers want.  This is just perfect with all the new products coming out.  Chinese also love that they are making the reach product.

Even way over allocated to Apple % wise, I am very tempted to buy around $25K back at this price when I mail in a retirement contribution in a few days to Schwab!  

Something sticks about that Barclays "downgrade" - they are scrwing their clients once again -

• Reply 14 of 22

And Yes, the feature phone market is nearing maturity.  But to the extend that everyone wants one after they graduate form the basic versions. Don't ever underestimate Asian or South American markets by saying nobody can afford an iPhone. People who want quality will just buy it, but some might save a little longer.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatbosan View Post

And Yes, the feature phone market is nearing maturity.  But to the extend that everyone wants one after they graduate form the basic versions. Don't ever underestimate Asian or South American markets by saying nobody can afford an iPhone. People who want quality will just buy it, but some might save a little longer.

This is EXACTLY what I am saying - which is FACT.

I was general counsel for a major foreign jean company.   What was their primary market?     Florida - why?  because $150+ JEANS (which was a expensive price about 12 years ago) were a reach product for those individuals that clearly could not "afford it" - not the expensive neighborhoods - ….. it was "reach product"

Apple is the ideal product "reach product" - kids/adults - all want it.  Sales of clothing are down as people/consumers "reach" for Apple product.

…just like Japan - china india russia - Apple in the sweet "reach product" position - today young don't' give a rat's a-s about clothing as much - they care about their electronics -

That Barclays guy is a fool / stupid - ask the young you fool -

• Reply 16 of 22
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's interesting they had 14 million subscribers added to their '3G' network and I think it's hard to argue that the iPhone wasn't a big part of that, but they only show 4.66 million new net adds to their network which is right in line with every other month (about 4 to 5 million) even after China Unicom and China Telecom had the iPhone. I would have expected more users to jump to China Mobile.

If I remember correctly, China Mobile already had a lot of iPhone users are their network. Granted they were running at 2G speeds, they were still there. I think besides the new subs, they also had quite a few current subs that upgraded to new iPhones. The 5s was already on the market for a bit, so this is still a strong sign.

I think when the next phone launches, it will be even bigger.

• Reply 17 of 22
    jungmark wrote: »
    Hot damn. Poor people in China and no growth. WS told me so.

Classic.
  • Reply 18 of 22

Amazing -

CNBC says administration wants to put limits on profits saved overseas???????

Do they not get it - Apple, Google (Uck), Facebook, IBM, on and on make PROFIT overseas, for AMERICAN shareholders - and reinvest to PROFIT FROM OVERSEAS in the Foreign country - benefiting who????? American Shareholders (retirement accounts)

current administration wants to make American companies less competitive - … great add it to Obama care - a higher minimum wage to "unemploy" those most in need - we will have millions of people here receiving govn't paid health care, and when they are old needing more assistance since their American companies/investments are worthless because we made them less competitive world wide.

Fortunately - the American public is now aware how silly this approach is  - because Obama care hits everyone in their pocket book - everyone who pays themselves (middle class) is out $5,000 to $10,000 range MINIMUM per year - with the employees of mid large businesses to follow shortly when their exclusion stops

Thankfully this Administration proposal will go nowhere.  If anything, Administration should give amnesty if foreign earnings american companies is brought back … perhaps to employ more Americans/capital investment in the US - at minimum it is HERE - for distributions and buy-backs - this is ridiculous

• Reply 19 of 22

No-one will ever buy an iPhone! I think Apple should stick to its Knitting. Keyboards reign supreme !!!!.....

• Reply 20 of 22
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Delicious irony.  This article comes out on the same day that the analyst at Barclay's downgrades APPL citing a lack of smartphone growth potential and even calling Apple the new MICROSOFT.

To analysts: Quit thinking ANYONE knows how technology is going to continue to grow.

A gizmo on your wrist that predicts heart attacks?

Medical apps that monitor your sleeping habits?

Fingerprint readers?  Eye scanners?  New product categories?

Any and all will happen and quickly.

"There's no growth in that category."  Well, "categories" are temporary and fluid.

All I can tell you for sure, is that Apple is going to play an important part in the immediate future of technological change where the consumer is concerned.