Google made last-ditch effort to block WhatsApp-Facebook deal, was willing to pay more than $19B

Comments

• Reply 21 of 168

~~The sales pitch by Page wasn't enough ....

Obviously ... because everyone knows Page and his google are full of pure shit!

• Reply 22 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It has nothing to do with your intelligence, it's your age.

Horse crap. It has everything to do with this generation's blind ignorance to Social networking. The monetization fantasy they plan on about having some mythical 500 million new users to suck dry is truly mythical mathematics.

When FB takes a real dump and Google ultimately drops their Thermostat investment people will down play both, when it's a case of a truly ignorant group of young kids getting to play big boy in the SV sandbox post 2000.

• Reply 23 of 168

So Sorry, Googly Goo.  Better luck next time (not).

Google is a lot more evil than Facebook.  I'm happy to know they lost out!

• Reply 24 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple should just buy it for $20 billion and then shut it down as a big F U to Googs and Facebook. image.

Nice one lol! Facebook and Google why ......Apple because i can..   Facebook and Google but you don't even need it but we do....Apple i know 

• Reply 25 of 168
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

This is very significant news in the internet spying world.

Google got beaten out on this deal by a much friendlier deal.

Both FaceBook and Google knew WhatsUP here; the access to a huge number of users spread around the world.

Google knows too much about me and Facebook think they know about me, but I've been managing to give them a slip.

I wasn't  into WhatsApp, so neither would have learned more about me there.

I'm sure many WhatsApp users wouldn't have been happy either way.

They'll move on to the next independent What-ever App until Google takes it over, in attempt to catch up with Facebook's user inventory.

• Reply 26 of 168
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    knowitall wrote: »
    This is a big opportunity for Apple.
    iMessage for Android would literally be a killer app.

Yeah, it would kill Apple.
    dipdog3 wrote: »
    I agree. Apple did that with iTunes and Windows & the iPad took off!
    I don't know what is stopping them from expanding iMessage.
    Different scenarios. iTunes for windows happened to sell more iPods. iMessage for android does nothing for Apple's bottom line.
  • Reply 27 of 168
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Horse crap. It has everything to do with this generation's blind ignorance to Social networking. The monetization fantasy they plan on about having some mythical 500 million new users to suck dry is truly mythical mathematics.

When FB takes a real dump and Google ultimately drops their Thermostat investment people will down play both, when it's a case of a truly ignorant group of young kids getting to play big boy in the SV sandbox post 2000.

Somebody is making a lot of money using those 'mythical mathematics'.
  • Reply 28 of 168
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I still feel like I should be able to see how something can valuable to others even if I don't personally have an interest in it. I know how Barbies and Transformer toys can hold value and I know how these compressive MMORPG and FPS games are profitable and popular even though I don't engage in them myself.

Join the club.  I just can't see the math working here to justify such the huge price tag.  Many of my friends overseas use WhatsApp, even though I never heard of it until recently.  The ironic part is that my European friends all use iPhones.  So when I was there and they were trying to convince me to use WhatsApp, I turned the table around on them and showed them what iMessage, FaceTime Audio does.  They were in complete awe as to their iPhone having that native ability.  To them, it's all about apps.

Most people are ignorant about what their iPhones can do.  I must have spent an hour with them going through all the iOS7 stuff and general concepts.

They all jettisoned WhatsApp after that.

I like WhatsApp mantra of charging $.99 cents to use it, be add-free, and they seem to be very good about privacy.  It's great for developing countries like India that have very expensive phone plans and use very cheap junk Android phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm in this area of thinking too.  Then mentality of these people throwing so much money into these black holes just reeks of adolescents with money-management problems.  They have so much of it right now, and they became so rich at so young an age, they don't have the mental maturity to stop for a moment and think long-term about deals like this and whether there's value for the money.

I think $16B is an absolute waste of money considering how much WhatsApp is making right now.  I read an article that the founder said they made about $20m last year and that's their first profit I think.  The math just doesn't add up.

• Reply 29 of 168
    jungmark wrote: »
    Yeah, it would kill Apple.

How would it kill Apple? I remember clearly how many here wanted BBM for iOS. How is the OP's idea so far fetched?
  • Reply 30 of 168
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How would it kill Apple? I remember clearly how many here wanted BBM for iOS. How is the OP's idea so far fetched?
    Ok. It wouldn't kill Apple but what benefit is it to Apple to have iMessage on a Android?
  • Reply 31 of 168
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I always feel like an idiot when I read about these massive buyouts because I honestly can't comprehend exactly what about WhatsApp is worth even $1 billion, much less $16 or $19 billion.

It's a subscription app with over 450 million users, $0.99 per year after the first year. It'll have some running costs but there's only 55 staff.

WhatsApp has a steep growth curve. This will follow the adoption rate of smart devices so it'll slow down with them too but it has room to more than double again.

The reason for Facebook's price is clearer now after this Google bid. I figured they'd have wanted in on this, they're always trying to buy into social media. At least now I know a starting price to sell them my Flappy Candy Chat app for.

I would have said $5b was a more realistic amount and $10b should have sealed the deal for Google (just like ~$3b did for Nest) but clearly Facebook decided they wanted it no matter what.
  • Reply 32 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I always feel like an idiot when I read about these massive buyouts because I honestly can't comprehend exactly what about WhatsApp is worth even $1 billion, much less $16 or $19 billion.

It has nothing to do with your intelligence, it's your age.

Age may have something to do with 'intelligence'...

• Reply 33 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's a subscription app with over 450 million users, $0.99 per year after the first year. It'll have some running costs but there's only 55 staff.

WhatsApp has a steep growth curve. This will follow the adoption rate of smart devices so it'll slow down with them too but it has room to more than double again.

How many of their 400M+ users are already Facebook users, do you think?

The market and the analysts –perhaps even you -- appear to be treating this number as 0%.

• Reply 34 of 168

So you're saying as Soli gets older he's getting dumber? :lol:

I agree, and we all know that Soli is far from being a' idiot'. The younger generation migrate to a service/app faster than those of us in our 30s and up ever did.
  • Reply 35 of 168
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineShedFred View Post

Tech Bubble 2.0 is in full effect. Spend money now boys, because your stock is going to crash in the next 18 months when everyone figures out that you don't have a product, you don't have adequate revenue, and you sure as hell don't have a P/E ratio that makes institutional investors' socks roll up and down after the honeymoon is over.

Today's $billion stock swaps are tomorrow's $billion write-downs. Enjoy it while you can.

This. 

On the one hand, this buyout price is greatly exaggerated because it's mostly paid for with super inflated facebook shares (funny money). On the other hand, $4 billion in cash is still far more than this company is likely to ever be really worth. 

The value that Apple gets for its acquisitions is pretty impressive compared to deals like this. Heck, I bet the inflation-adjusted cumulative price of every company Apple has ever bought is noticeably less than the price of this one company.  

• Reply 36 of 168
    jungmark wrote: »
    Ok. It wouldn't kill Apple but what benefit is it to Apple to have iMessage on a Android?

It wouldn't benefit Apple, but it would benefit its users, and isn't Apple all about the 'user experience'? Most people have friends and family with a mixed bag of devices. A cross platform iMessage would dwarf WhatsApp in users.
  • Reply 37 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

There is also this…

• Reply 38 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    So glad that Apple is above participating in these insane bidding wars. I'd lose all faith in the company if they blew $20B on such a purchase.
  • Reply 39 of 168
    darklite wrote: »
    Do we really need so many articles about something uninteresting and irrelevant?
    It got you to post. :)
  • Reply 40 of 168
    Seriously, why the hell would you pay that much goddamn money for an effing app that can be easily reversed engineered and recreated? LOL!