XVid Codec

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2014

Hello friends,

I have been trying to see a .avi (with VLC) when it popped up and said I required the XVid codec.

So I used numerous ways to download and drop the component into the Quicktime Library to no get.

I also attempted to set up various XVid converters all of which didn not work.

So I have a vid which neither VLC, nor Quicktime, nor the DivX Player can run.

How to handle it??? (Incidentally I can not run it in Windows either).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Screw all that old codec nonsense and just convert the thing.

HandBrake! Best thing in the world for setting a stupid video file straight.

• Reply 2 of 3

I am also having a hard time with Xvid on the Mac. I can not play or convert it no matter what I try. I have used Handbrake, iSkysoft and various codecs for Quicktime. Nothing works. I would like to convert my XVids so I can load them in to iTunes.

Does anyone know his to do this on the Mac?

• Reply 3 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    lemac wrote: »
    I am also having a hard time with Xvid on the Mac. I can not play or convert it no matter what I try. I have used Handbrake, iSkysoft and various codecs for Quicktime. Nothing works. I would like to convert my XVids so I can load them in to iTunes.

Does anyone know his to do this on the Mac?
    What various codecs for QuickTime did you use? If you have not done so, then download and install the Perian codec suite.

Without access to your specific problematic video, there is no way to know the exact nature of your problem. It may just be that the file is corrupt. If you still cannot handle the video after you install Perian, then you should make it accessible to the members of this forum. One of us should be able to identify and fix your problem if it can be fixed. If it cannot be fixed, then you will be informed.