Apple releases iOS 7.0.6 with fix for SSL connection verification, rolls out Apple TV Software Updat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

Hmmm, I wonder, I had the same problem with my wife's iPhone 5.  I had both docked in the Apple iPhone 5 or 5S Dock and they both require restore???  Could the dock connected to AC power be the cause???

• Reply 22 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    chipsy wrote: »
    It's 7.0.6 ....

and 6.1.6.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]????? ??????? ?? ????????
  • Reply 24 of 53
    If you're a coder you might be interested in this short blog about the SSL bug.
    https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you're a coder you might be interested in this short blog about the SSL bug.

https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html

I can't believe Apple would not have had some type of automated test for such a simple and important security check before release.  Hopefully they will add one now.

• Reply 26 of 53
    This crypto bug also currently affects Safari on OSX 10.9 and 10.9.1.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    techguy911 wrote: »
    I can't believe Apple would not have had some type of automated test for such a simple and important security check before release.  Hopefully they will add one now.

Maybe it was Forstall's equivalent of peeing in the water fountain before he checked out. That's the most damaging kind of prank, just hide something so small nobody would think to check it. Just 1 line of code amongst millions.

The lack of start and end braces is telling too. They should get into the habit of using them at all times. It doesn't use much more space:
    if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &serverRandom)) != 0){
    		goto fail;
    }
    if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0){
    		goto fail;
    		goto fail;
    }
    if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.final(&hashCtx, &hashOut)) != 0){
    		goto fail;
    }

• Reply 28 of 53
    Anyone having a problem with AirPlay after updating to iOS 7.0.6? My iPhone and iPads don't recognize my Apple TV or AirPlay speakers after this update. Yes, they are all on the same wireless network.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Anyone having a problem with AirPlay after updating to iOS 7.0.6? My iPhone and iPads don't recognize my Apple TV or AirPlay speakers after this update. Yes, they are all on the same wireless network.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Mildly surprised that my wife received an email from Square earlier today advising her of this iOS update.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    This crypto bug also currently affects Safari on OSX 10.9 and 10.9.1.
    Neither Firefox nor Chrome browsers are apparently affected tho.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Neither Firefox nor Chrome browsers are apparently affected tho.

Firefox and Chrome use their own SSL/TLS implementation.

• Reply 33 of 53
    inurse wrote: »

Have you updated your Apple TV?
  • Reply 34 of 53
    I found a bug in the Apple TV update. While on Netflix and Hulu, I was several layers deep into the menus and I pressed back (menu) and was taken to the home screen, rather than back a menu layer. This has happened numerous times on both those services. I haven't tested other apps yet, but I'm assuming its universal.
  • Reply 35 of 53

Apple TV also updated.  I resolved this morning by rebooting the Apple TV and AirPlay speakers.

Thanks to all!

• Reply 36 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    chipsy wrote: »
    It's 7.0.6 ....

and 6.1.6.

...but only for the 3GS & 4. Not for people who are running 6 on a 5 or 4s. This I think is ridiculous. Apple making people upgrading to iOS7 mandatory, no wonder they have over 80% running the latest version. And one cannot restore an iOS6 backup if the device is running v7. Truly pathetic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3682
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

...but only for the 3GS & 4. Not for people who are running 6 on a 5 or 4s. This I think is ridiculous. Apple making people upgrading to iOS7 mandatory, no wonder they have over 80% running the latest version. And one cannot restore an iOS6 backup if the device is running v7. Truly pathetic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3682

Is this a joke? I mean I don't quite get it. You can't even install arbitrary software on your device, why do you think Apple would permit you to install older / unsupported versions of their firmware? Part of Apple's genuine benefits is their careful curation of the App Store and managed upgrades. You can't expect to go against this with full support.

• Reply 38 of 53
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Information about the bug can be found here: https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html
  • Reply 39 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »

Is this a joke? I mean I don't quite get it. You can't even install arbitrary software on your device, why do you think Apple would permit you to install older / unsupported versions of their firmware? Part of Apple's genuine benefits is their careful curation of the App Store and managed upgrades. You can't expect to go against this with full support.

And they're doing an excellent job in doing this. But a friend of mine wanted to fix the SSL/TLS issue so he thought he could update his 5 running iOS6 but is now mandatorily using iOS7 as there wasn't a standalone patch for iOS6; only for the 3GS & 4 models.

So while I must admit it was his mistake to not read which device supported which software version I do agree with him that if Apple can release a patch for iOS6 it should be HW independent. Nothing to do with the AppStore, but your point is valid nonetheless.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And they're doing an excellent job in doing this. But a friend of mine wanted to fix the SSL/TLS issue so he thought he could update his 5 running iOS6 but is now mandatorily using iOS7 as there wasn't a standalone patch for iOS6; only for the 3GS & 4 models.

So while I must admit it was his mistake to not read which device supported which software version I do agree with him that if Apple can release a patch for iOS6 it should be HW independent. Nothing to do with the AppStore, but your point is valid nonetheless.

As far as I understand it, every time you install iOS on a device it phones back to Apple to check that it is authorised to be installed. In order for Apple to distribute an iOS6 update (I believe) they would have to re-permit people to downgrade to 6 too. I very much doubt they'd be happy doing that. What's a few insecure customers who will buy new phones vs not having everyone on the same version of the OS.

Plus I can be really pithy here and just say "If you want control over your phone, buy an Android" but I think people might take that the wrong way. Still that is the real key difference between the two platforms. On iOS you must assume Apple knows best and defer to them. On a plain Android then it's up to you what you do, but you can't trust things as much as with Apple.