Samsung breaks from Android with redesigned, Tizen-powered Gear 2 smartwatches

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I don't want to be insulting, but do you really believe that 'Shamesung' reads as a devastating indictment of Samsung? It just reads as a childish insult to me. I really wish people would avoid it because it devalues their point.

I also think it's pretty hard to accuse Samsung of copying Apple products that don't exist. Almost every possible product has been rumoured from Apple including cars. You can't exactly decide well ok anyone who makes an electric car is copying off the Apple/Tesla rumours now can you?

I think you DO want to be insulting. I know I do.

• Reply 142 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Hey where you at? ohh i think my logic upset him and made him go away! don't worry i'm troll too you don't need to come here anymore i'll come to you to find more like you and i'll put logic in you trolls! 

No, he decided you were a moron, as did most everyone else, and blocked you. Just as I am about to do right now.

• Reply 143 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... and a heart-rate sensor. Oh and a gyroscope. OOPS, and a IR-LED sensor. Dang, you forgot about that camera too. But other than all those things your're right, it's kinda, sorta along the lines of an iPod nano. . . . if it was a rumored iWatch.

Although actually, iPod nano was rather late to the game -- except for some missing features, this is DAMN close to a TI LED watch from 1975!

• Reply 144 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Better looking than the first.

But still- who wants or wears a wristwatch anymore? P Diddy w  a Rolex?

I'll take my pocket watch iPhone or iPod Nano any day over that. I'd prefer an iRing even better. 

Have you walked down the street lately? Around 95% of the adult populace wears a watch.

• Reply 145 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I would never want to wear a bulky watch like this.

Buying a Samsung product, any Samsung product, is difficult for me. I really think this company has built it's business on technology theft. Their scandalous ripoff of Apple's iPhone and iPad designs is really disgusting. It is a company that operates like the Mafia.

The Mafia ripped off iPhone and iPad designs? I did NOT know that.

• Reply 146 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Dick, Edison concerns me far more than anything that scamsung is up to with Tizen or independently in hardware. Intel has the interest and expertise to pull Apple down, in light of Apple moving away with continued development of ARM chips. I listened to your video with only half-interest until Wolfram was mentioned. I have written here before that I think Apple and Wolfram should work closely together. Steve Jobs and Stephen Wolfram were friends and the Mac has always been a Mathematica host. However, with SJ's passing I am concerned about Wolfram moving away. Interesting that Mathematica is mentioned in the video. I feel quite strongly that at any juncture, today's technical computing shapes tomorrow's CE, including at any time over the past 30 years or more. In the late 1990's I was granted a provisional patent on a system that ran Linux (Red Hat) and incorporated low-level sensors and I/O. This is exactly what all smartphones and tablets do today when talking to accelerometers, gyroscopes and other devices. My employer rejected an offer for the rights from a very big US industrial company and eventually, others flew past.

I believe that ultimately, Wolfram Research (http://www.wolfram.com/company/background.html) will be more important to modern computing than Google or scamsung and hope beyond hope that Apple is intimately familiar with developments, in a working capacity. Tim should nurture a relationship with Wolfram. Mathematica will run on Edison, it should run on the iPhone and iPad too. Algorithm and code development occur so quickly under Mathematica due to its fully symbolic capability. No other application offers the sheer power of Mathematica. Peruse http://mathematica.stackexchange.com to witness the capacity and rigour of Mathematica aficionados. Apple needs these minds working with their hardware.

With the iPad, Apple executed a brilliant end-run around the whole notion and industry of personal computing, obviating for many, many people the need even to own a PC. Others are fully aware of this, not the least Intel. scamsung attempted the same by pinching every possible design idea incorporated into the iPhone and using its industrial capability in an attempt to out-manufacture Apple. The pace of innovation is such that Apple could be sidelined very quickly if SJ-like vision is lost. Google, scamsung and Amazon won't be the culprits though but a new democratised, distributed, popular movement that recognises the power of low-level hardware running high-level applications such as Mathematica. I hope Apple is 'on the ball'.

All the best.

Stephen, is that you?

• Reply 147 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Proctologist: the branch of medicine concerned with the anus and rectum.

Analyst: the branch of financial advice concerned with the anus and rectum.

I guess you need both of them, since that's where you keep your head?

• Reply 148 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The trouble with being a fanboy, getting all your sustenance from the effluent Bilger disgorges periodically, is that you become incapable of independent thought or critical thinking.

Before Samsung developed Tizen, they developed another phone OS called Bada.  I think most people on this forum would actually be astonished by how good it is.  It had multiple features which made it a better OS at the time it was introduced than I think iOS was in it's first iteration and had several features Which iOS didn't adopt for some time.  Samsung developed Bada with a small army of software engineers in India - more than 2000 of them, and that was back in 2010.  I suspect they employ considerably more currently.  Bada had several updates before being abandoned in favour of the development of Tizen.  Samsung have an App store, they can produce and distribute OS updates, they supported developers who produced apps for Bada. Certainly Samsung don't have Google's scale, but I think they would be quite capable of developing the infrastructure - if they haven't already - to support Tizen robustly.

I am quite disgusted with the fanboyism, but in the interest of fairness, I had a Bada phone two years ago, and it really and truly sucked.

• Reply 149 of 172
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I find the idea of a camera in a watch bizarre and ridiculous. It sounds exotic, like a spy gadget, but the reality of trying to use it?

Samsung is flailing in the dark with these updates. The design is so chunky and outdated. A black and white screen!

I'm not at all convinced that Apple are going to bring out a smartwatch or some such thing. I hope they do, though. I think they would need two sizes for men and women. The hiring of Angela wotshername might have been a nod to the fashion element of a watch.

But Tim Cook himself said that not many young people wear watches these days. A bracelet? Can't see too many guys wearing them. Maybe it'll be something integrated into wireless headphones—Apple like to combine things.

Cook has teased that it's a ring; it would be quite funny if it were!

One ring to rule them all.

• Reply 150 of 172
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    ws11 wrote: »
    No.

10 mm = 1 cm = ~0.39 inches

1 mm = 0.1 cm = ~0.039 inches

No way???!!!!

See where I'm from?

I meant that they didn't cut one centimeter from the watch, but one millimeter.
    If them removing one centimeter from a watch that barely measures one and a half doesn't shock you, you need to work on your orders of magnitude.
  • Reply 151 of 172
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can reasonably be upset by new products being released unless the old product stops working as a result. The only reason to care is the irrational and prideful desire to say you have the latest model.

Agreed. But this is just coming out after 5 months! And no update will be made for the first gen!
  • Reply 152 of 172
    clemynx wrote: »
    Agreed. But this is just coming out after 5 months! And no update will be made for the first gen!

A lack of updates are* always a risk but that can happen regardless of the time between HW revisions. Just look at the 7 months between the iPad 3 and iPad 4's as a positive example.

* It seems like 'is' sounds better since I'm referring to updates as a single object even though it's plural.
  • Reply 153 of 172
    [grammar tidbit]

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”
  • Reply 154 of 172

It has electrolytes it's what plants crave

• Reply 155 of 172
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cynic wrote: »
    I'm actually starting to get concerned about the battery life of all those wearables.

It is already annoying having to charge the phone and tablet on a daily basis. Last thing I need is having to charge glasses and watches as well. What a mess that'd be. :)
    What about wireless charging? You take off and place it on the charging tray before bed: problem solved. My problem with smartwatch is the benefit and the look: it's useless cuz it does only 1% of smartphone features and looks so ugly to wear. Who wants to wear this pos whole day long? How the f people currently wearing regular watch use this?
  • Reply 156 of 172
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    What about wireless charging? You take off and place it on the charging tray before bed: problem solved. My problem with smartwatch is the benefit and the look: it's useless cuz it does only 1% of smartphone features and looks so ugly to wear. Who wants to wear this pos whole day long? How the f people currently wearing regular watch use this?

I wouldn't focus on what a smartwatch can do that your smartphone can, but instead focus on features that are not possible on a smartphone.
  • Reply 157 of 172
    It has electrolytes it's what plants crave

Right, kick ass. Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded. What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like..
  • Reply 158 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

I would be outraged if I had paid $300 for a device that was replaced/enhanced less than 6 months later.

I don't see how anyone can reasonably be upset by new products being released unless the old product stops working as a result. The only reason to care is the irrational and prideful desire to say you have the latest model.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

That means that the first Gen won't have support, accessories, etc. But then again, those that bought one aren't exactly bright people.

• Reply 159 of 172
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    It's shocking how ugly these watches are...I'd rather wear my Pulsar from the 70's...
  • Reply 160 of 172
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    A lack of updates are* always a risk but that can happen regardless of the time between HW revisions. Just look at the 7 months between the iPad 3 and iPad 4's as a positive example.

* It seems like 'is' sounds better since I'm referring to updates as a single object even though it's plural.

"Is" is correct as "of updates" is a preposition. "Lack" is the real star of the sentence.