Using the Oakley Airwave 1.5 heads-up display with Apple's iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

mildly -2 ? Where are you from? There's nothing mild about -2. When was the last time you enjoyed skiing at -2? Did you not read the article? It was so cold the mountain was shut down until it was safe because of the cold. No matter how bundled up you are at -2 you are not going to have a fun day on the mountain. This stupid toy will not save the day. 

on that point how does this measurably increase my pleasure of snowboarding or skiing? Seems like a pointless niche device and now I'm going to have to listen to a bunch of idiots on the slopes arguing who had the "better specs". Lord just stay focused on the slopes. I don't want to have to rescue anyone again.

Firstly - the reference to -2 F was clearly about the effect on components, not on the skiers. Secondly, -2 F is not at all uncommon at ski areas, especially in the Rockies, and, in the absence of high winds, the lifts will operate at much lower temperatures. I've had plenty of enjoyable days at sub-zero F temperatures. Thirdly, the temperature at Banff that day was not stated - just that it was much colder than -4 F. Lastly, no one suggested that it was designed to increase your personal pleasure, and I doubt anyone cares. I suggest that you retreat to the backcountry where you will be spared listening to all those "idiots" enjoying themselves.

• Reply 22 of 30
    FYI: It's not the cold that caused your Snow2 to malfunction, it's being connected to an iPhone. Try forgetting the device from the iPhone Bluetooth control and you will find the Snow2 now works fine, except for having no connectivity.

I have been in contact with Recon for a long time about this and they tried giving me many different excuses, have sent me a replacement device and the problem is still the fact that it's connected to an iPhone. I wish they would just admit their software is not iPhone compatible and then either fix it, or advise iPhone users their phones aren't compatible.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Firstly - the reference to -2 F was clearly about the effect on components, not on the skiers. Secondly, -2 F is not at all uncommon at ski areas, especially in the Rockies, and, in the absence of high winds, the lifts will operate at much lower temperatures. I've had plenty of enjoyable days at sub-zero F temperatures. Thirdly, the temperature at Banff that day was not stated - just that it was much colder than -4 F. Lastly, no one suggested that it was designed to increase your personal pleasure, and I doubt anyone cares. I suggest that you retreat to the backcountry where you will be spared listening to all those "idiots" enjoying themselves.

Actually, it's not considered safe to partake in outdoor cardiovascular activities below -4 F (-20 C) -- even for shorter periods of time (less than one half hour).  This is codified in cross-country ski regulations, as an example -- no FIS-sanctioned race can proceed when the temperature is below -20 C.

But hey... if you like hurting yourself, don't let any of us stop you.

• Reply 24 of 30
    doctorkb wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

Actually, it's not considered safe to partake in outdoor cardiovascular activities below -4 F (-20 C) -- even for shorter periods of time (less than one half hour).  This is codified in cross-country ski regulations, as an example -- no FIS-sanctioned race can proceed when the temperature is below -20 C.

But hey... if you like hurting yourself, don't let any of us stop you.

Thanks for the advice. You may also be aware, if you are actually an MD, that there is a big difference in the physiological effects of cold air depending on your level of exertion, with racing events at one extreme of that spectrum, but from your post I'm guessing that you are completely unaware of the amount of recreational activity that takes place at such temperatures without injury.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Thanks for the advice. You may also be aware, if you are actually an MD, that there is a big difference in the physiological effects of cold air depending on your level of exertion, with racing events at one extreme of that spectrum, but from your post I'm guessing that you are completely unaware of the amount of recreational activity that takes place at such temperatures without injury.

Oh, sure, there's a difference.  That said, it's (generally) young people that are very fit who are in these races (of various levels).  Give an old smoker a 1/2 mile to walk and he's likely to have the same exertion level.

But we're digressing.  We can't expect our bodies to perform at 100% in that sort of weather -- why should we even dream of having our consumer electronics perform?

• Reply 26 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This in itself is a safety concern.

Quote:

Our biggest concern in using the Airwave was how much of a distraction it would be, having a screen in our face at all times. We're pleased to say that we don't think this heads-up display is a safety concern — it's placed in the bottom right corner of the goggles, out of the way of anyone's field of vision. You have to "work" to look at the screen, and when you do, it's easy to read.

This is why it not good to listen to amateurs when reviewing products like this. Having it in your field of view is one type of distraction which could cause you to not focus on what you are doing thus hitting the skier coming from your right, then you have the issue that you have to work at looking at it again you become distracted focusing on something in the low right corner thus missing the tree you are about to run into.

Most people can not manage reading real time telemetry information and doing high skilled activity like skiing, There are plenty of solutions out  there to collect telemetry information which can be can view at a latter time without putting yourself and others at risk.

Again it is neat you can do it but the con out way the positives

• Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorkb View Post

But we're digressing.  We can't expect our bodies to perform at 100% in that sort of weather -- why should we even dream of having our consumer electronics perform?

I don't know. Perhaps because the processes that limit human performance are completely unrelated to those that affect electronics? The logical extension of your argument - projecting human fragility onto other devices -would be that nothing should be expected to work at those temperatures. Obviously that is absurd. It's especially absurd for a device intended to function in the range of conditions encountered while skiing.

• Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

I don't know. Perhaps because the processes that limit human performance are completely unrelated to those that affect electronics? The logical extension of your argument - projecting human fragility onto other devices -would be that nothing should be expected to work at those temperatures. Obviously that is absurd. It's especially absurd for a device intended to function in the range of conditions encountered while skiing.

*Consumer* electronics often have trouble functioning within the realm of appropriate human conditions.

Furthermore, I think we've largely established that the reasonable person wouldn't be out skiing in the conditions mentioned.  Of course, any conditions could be encountered, so I hope that this device would work equally well underwater...

• Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctorkb View Post

Quote:

*Consumer* electronics often have trouble functioning within the realm of appropriate human conditions.

If that is your experience then you are buying poorly designed or poorly manufactured equipment, and apparently are perfectly willing to accept it without complaint. I'm a bit more demanding - I expect devices to work for the purpose for which they are designed.

Quote:

Furthermore, I think we've largely established that the reasonable person wouldn't be out skiing in the conditions mentioned.  Of course, any conditions could be encountered, so I hope that this device would work equally well underwater...

All that we have established is your ignorance of the recreational winter sports industry. A trip to any ski area will demonstrate that temperatures around 0 F are not remotely a deterrent to recreational skiers. Lift traffic (especially locals who can afford to be picky) does drop off when it gets significantly colder, but even at -20 F there are plenty of skiers on the slopes.

Why would you expect a snowsports accessory to work underwater?

• Reply 30 of 30
    It sounds cool - but in execution it seems to be worthless - lack of consistent functionality and, when a HUD display's only image is a dark little crappy LOC displayed thru what looks like a pinhole, and everything else is different angles of the cool snowboarder with oakley glasses on, I fail to see how the HUD was impressive enough to demand $400...yawn, pass, failure gimmick.