WWE Network launches on iPhone, iPad & Apple TV, offering every PPV for $10 per month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51

Right, because government does anything right!  

No, government just makes a mess of it all.  Ericson is showing LTE at 450 Mbps now, well Comcast in the US is only 505 Mbps max -- sounds like competition is developing all by itself to me.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, may happen. Probably not in Ireland, but yeah. America's version on the competition commission should step in if it happens.

• Reply 22 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    desuserign wrote: »
    So now Apple is wandering down the road of Crapplications. How very quaint and Microsoft.
    <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">OK, we can hide the crap, great. Let's all do a slow clap.</span>

<span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">But where are the obvious useful things that could and should be there, but aren't?</span>

<span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">I consider my AppleTV (gen 3) "rather lame," and that's </span>
    gennerous.

I hate the remote and the default out-of-the-box typing experience most of all.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I didn't wish to talk politics.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They’re what let the telecoms do what they’ve already done. “Should”–in this case understood as “doing their only job”–is wishful thinking. :grumble:

I'll agree with you here.

Why is it so hard for folks to see that real Net Neutrality and common carrier rules is the way to go?

We've been through all of this several times already with the telegraph and telephone about a century ago. We used the principles we learned in setting up the internet a few decades ago. Why do we keep letting our communications slip away?

• Reply 25 of 51
    Next up...get exclusives with the NFL and NBA and baseball. It's coming (I think).

I'm waiting for Ladies Roller Derby ... with "Big Red" :D
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

But where are the obvious useful things that could and should be there, but aren't?

… Like?

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Ericson is showing LTE at 450 Mbps now, well Comcast in the US is only 505 Mbps max

What a choice we have! 2GB of 450 megabits per second at $50 a month or unlimited of 10 megabits per second at $30 a month! :no:

• Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Right, because government does anything right!  

No, government just makes a mess of it all.  Ericson is showing LTE at 450 Mbps now, well Comcast in the US is only 505 Mbps max -- sounds like competition is developing all by itself to me.  

You do realize "the government" was the driving force behind the creation of the internet, don't you?

Are the wars in Afganistan and Iraq examples of the private sector "doing things right for the government?"
  • Reply 28 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rob53 wrote: »
    I'm not going to complain about WWE coming to AppleTV because I can turn it off but I'd really like to see more mainstream channels being added that would really tempt me to get rid of Comcast. Oh wait, I can't get rid of them because my only other ISP choice is Frontier over DSL. I know there's no way Apple would ever want to become an ISP, especially because they would have to lease existing broadband lines, but Comcast has become too large for any realistic competition to take place (at least on the West coast). With Netflix paying to get preferential treatment, Comcast has no reason to compete on price. Where's the DOJ when they could really help the consumer? 

Im in Comcast's backyard (Philly area ) and they're the only game in town. I'm not going to satellite. DOJ can't do anything. No laws being broken. (And no money has been exchanged).
  • Reply 29 of 51
    I'm not going to complain about WWE coming to AppleTV because I can turn it off but I'd really like to see more mainstream channels being added that would really tempt me to get rid of Comcast. Oh wait, I can't get rid of them because my only other ISP choice is Frontier over DSL. I know there's no way Apple would ever want to become an ISP, especially because they would have to lease existing broadband lines, but Comcast has become too large for any realistic competition to take place (at least on the West coast). With Netflix paying to get preferential treatment, Comcast has no reason to compete on price. Where's the DOJ when they could really help the consumer? 
    Netflix is 30% owned by Comcast
  • Reply 30 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Thank God Almighty! Now I can watch REAL sports events.

• Reply 31 of 51
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Vince is a visionary, no doubt about it. He's always the first to adapt and evolve.

It's a shame that even wwe doesn't treat the world outside the USA the same way.

I prefer Lynn myself- a shame she's not representing CT.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    The DOJ is busy promoting voting rights for felons.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    You do realize "the government" was the driving force behind the creation of the internet, don't you?

I have it on first-hand authority that Al Gore invented the internets.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    ireland wrote: »
    What is that?

Hopefully AppleTV will be moving forward with all kinds of sports exclusives and pay-per-view options (including "football" as it is known outside the US). Those are the real reasons people buy the big screen TVs and go crazy with subscription services...don't ask me why, but they do.
  • Reply 35 of 51

"The government" is behind a lot of things, many of which are either non-beneficial, or blatantly in violation of their constitutionally restricted mandates.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But wait, I thought we were told just last week that Apple wasn't getting WWE because they wanted 50% cut?

They probably are giving back somewhere else if that reported figure stuck.  It's not as if the WWE didn't have other good options to go with, and they create and pay for all of their programming and events.   This is actually a big risk for them, because if it doesn't work out for them they can't go back to their previous business model, where the events were more expensive, too easily.   

I don't see going with Apple offering them anything they need that's worth giving up a 20% larger than standard cut elsewhere, and the owner of the WWE is as much an "my way or the highway" egomaniac as anyone.  Apple must be sweetening it in some way if they did, in fact, get 50%, IMO.

• Reply 37 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jlandd wrote: »
    They probably are giving back somewhere else if that reported figure stuck.  It's not as if the WWE didn't have other good options to go with, and they create and pay for all of their programming and events.   This is actually a big risk for them, because if it doesn't work out for them they can't go back to their previous business model, where the events were more expensive, too easily.   

I don't see going with Apple offering them anything they need that's worth giving up a 20% larger than standard cut elsewhere, and the owner of the WWE is as much an "my way or the highway" egomaniac as anyone.  Apple must be sweetening it in some way if they did, in fact, get 50%, IMO.

I don't think it was ever 50%. You can still watch the network on a PC.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Hopefully AppleTV will be moving forward with all kinds of sports exclusives and pay-per-view options (including "football" as it is known outside the US). Those are the real reasons people buy the big screen TVs and go crazy with subscription services...don't ask me why, but they do.

UFC launched a new network/service in January, hopefully we'll see that on Apple TV soon. I 'll pay for it.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Agree with Vince being a visionary with his creation of the PPV and this channel. People might dog this channel but isn't this what people want from all media channels?
    Subscribe to just this one channel and get a lot of bang for your buck. Seems like Vince is first on board
  • Reply 40 of 51
    If you use https://unlocator.com you can watch the WWE network on all devices outside the us.