Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Fittingly revealed on his birthday, a bust of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs was unveiled in Belgrade on Monday, with the art piece bound for the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

Source: Netokracija

A scaled down model of the final obelisk design was unveiled on Monday by famed sculptor Dragan Radenovic, reports Netokracija.

The work, which was selected in a contest with over 10,000 entries, incorporates a bust of Jobs' head mounted on a pillar. Sprouting from the sides of the pillar feature are Cyrillic letters and the numbers 1 and 0, representing the binary numeral system. According to Radenovic, Apple management appreciated the imperfections of the piece over more computer-centric design entries.

The scale model sculpture will be sent to Apple in California for final inspection and, upon approval, Radenovic will craft the final version. Completed, the art piece will stand between three to five meters tall and is to be installed at an unknown location on Apple's Cupertino campus.

Earlier on Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a pair of tweets containing quotes from Jobs in remembrance of the company cofounder.

Jobs was born on Feb. 24, 1955, in San Francisco, Calif. He passed away in October 2011 after a long fight with cancer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What is dat.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think that's hideous.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Wow. Many apologies, but that really looks creepy.
    Reminds me of a scene from "The Thing," 1982.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    Certainly this is a joke.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Um.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    I agree, that's just awful. Having his bust attached to the abstract "pillar" is odd and doesn't capture the man or his legacy at all. Really dumb. I'd prefer to see just a simple, life size bronze sculpture of his likeness placed under a tree somewhere; but what do I know.
  • Reply 7 of 107

OMG was never so appropriate.

I'm old fashioned. A bronze statue of a young Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac (like the iconic photo) is more to my liking. Or perhaps an aluminum statue of an older Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 107
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

famed sculptor Dragan Radenovic

• Reply 9 of 107
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    I wonder if this meant to be a computer "stack". Binary at the bottom, human language in the middle, and its visionary at the top.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    That looks like the terminator T1000, I don't think Steve would've approved!
  • Reply 11 of 107

Hide it behind the potted plants.

• Reply 12 of 107
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

The head is cool and I get the 1 and 0. I can also grok the rustic theme. But the pillar and two weird characters..... seems like he had a lot more to work with than a pillar. What about some hints about an apple, icons, fonts, etc.

• Reply 13 of 107
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Wow. Many apologies, but that really looks creepy.

Reminds me of a scene from "The Thing," 1982.

{Ditto} on every point.

• Reply 14 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is dat.

It's "art".

It's a bit strange but you can't say it's not interesting.  I like it.  Better interesting and weird than boring and passé.  Jobs was an interesting and complex person.

So kudos to management for not being too conservative on this for a change.

• Reply 15 of 107
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    A slab of black granite shape as an iPhone with Steve jobs portrayed in the middle of it would be better than that creepy thing.
  • Reply 16 of 107

Something for kids to climb. Cool.

• Reply 17 of 107
    Freddy Kruger called? Buttugly.
  • Reply 18 of 107

Whatever it is, it's weird and pissed off.

• Reply 20 of 107
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Reading all the thinking behind the statue, for me that's spot on and creative, but the interpretation scares me.