Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Comments

• Reply 141 of 236
    The S5 manual for the heart rate monitor says: "Stick your finger firmly up the back and count to 10".
    Given the intellect of a Samsung buyer, I hope they don't read the manual ...
  • Reply 142 of 236
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Fixed that for you.

The flaw in your logic is that you assume the stuff they added actually works.

I knew from day one that Samsung would add a fingerprint sensor on the home button just like Apple would, and that it would be the same crappy and unreliable swipe sensor, along with the sh!tty software to make it work.  They did not disappoint.  If I could have bet money somewhere on this, I would so have jumped in.  

I won't even start with the "Pleather" case design, or better yet... the band-aid design from a prior post, because the S5 is exactly that, an open wound for Samsung.

This just goes to show that Samsung on its own (Without Apple as it's R&D shop) can't do squat.  Samsung is about as innovative as a pile of dirt.

Pretty much. What a pathetic company. A wipe sensor, really? Almost 5 months after Apple showed the world how it's done, Samsung responds (expectedly) by throwing in an infinitely shittier version of a fingerprint sensor- the same kind that plagued laptops for the past 2 decades, the ones that people never touched. 

And yeah, if someone wants to check their pulse obviously they would go and make contact with their phone for that, instead of a wearable solution. How intuitive. And that leather? Hideous. And no 64bit? It seems like Samsung is running out of cheap tricks, and showing to the world that when the rubber hits the road, they can't move things forward or innovate worth a damn. That fingerprint reader is inexcusable. 

• Reply 143 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Pretty much. What a pathetic company. A wipe sensor, really? Almost 5 months after Apple showed the world how it's done, Samsung responds (expectedly) by throwing in an infinitely shittier version of a fingerprint sensor- the same kind that plagued laptops for the past 2 decades, the ones that people never touched. 

And yeah, if someone wants to check their pulse obviously they would go and make contact with their phone for that, instead of a wearable solution. How intuitive. And that leather? Hideous. And no 64bit? It seems like Samsung is running out of cheap tricks, and showing to the world that when the rubber hits the road, they can't move things forward or innovate worth a damn. That fingerprint reader is inexcusable. 

That pulse thing is not the worst idea. I use an app to jog and do interval training and might use that, if the iPhone had one, I am not so sold on wearables.
  • Reply 144 of 236
    Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

It's the only way the phone knows you're still alive.
  • Reply 145 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

Apple should take advantage of this and drip feed some whacko "sounds credible but would be crap in practice" leaks. Then just sit back and let Samsung squeeze into the S6 roadmap.

• Reply 146 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jack baker wrote: »
    I think its the other way around.  Apple is always expected to innovate while Samsung and other have continually been given a free pass on innovation.
    True, but there was a lot of hype around this. Rumors were 2K display, top of the line 64-bit processor, 3GB RAM and the pièce de résistance, a all metal unibody chassis. That was the one thing iPhone could hold over Galaxy's head...a metal design. Fanboys didn't get any of this. Same display, no top of the line processor and same fugly plastic design. They were hoping this was the one that would bury iPhone once and for all. And it isn't. Plus they know the chances of the new iPhone having a bigger display are almost 100% certain. Then what does Samsung have? Stylus?
  • Reply 147 of 236
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I'm getting really good at prediction. I knew that this fingerprint sensor wouldn't be reliable and wouldn't work with one hand. Now the Verge confirms that. It wasn't hard, I just used my head knowing how swipe sensors work. But apparently fandroids where incapable of doing the same...

And a heart rate sensor on the back... No comment

Their new watch with a curved display doesn't look back. It's incredibly close to that recent iwatch concept video, even in its animations. But they couldn't have copied that, could they? I'm trying to imagine if that's possible.
  • Reply 148 of 236
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem with companies doing poor implementation just to be able to claim they have the feature is that then some people looking to switch to iPhone will think, "my old phone had fingerprint recognition too, but I never really used it."

Exactly. Those people will remain convinced that fingerprint scanning is a gimmick, simply because they haven't experienced it on an iPhone.
  • Reply 149 of 236
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

This is a thorough copying of iPhone 5S new features and more. 

• Reply 150 of 236
    How in the world is a normal human supposed to use that thing? The angle is completely wrong. It's like a hospital ID band (meant to be read by someone other than the wearer).

Yes, just like that iwatch concept. Looked nice, but in practice doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 151 of 236
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

iPilya,

you have to excuse hill60.  I think many of us are frustrated by Samsung's typical mode of operation ever since the release of the iPhone.   Probably no excuse for being rude however. 

@snovanever a problem... and as far as the frustration... yeah... I have boycotted the company. Sadly... we are still sending money Samsung's way by the very nature of buying Apple products... but hopefully that will change in these next few years.

• Reply 152 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Guys. Again. The pulse on the back makes sense for fitness apps. Apple will do this ( I believe they have a patent). For those of us who don't like wearables.
  • Reply 153 of 236
    so let me get this straight. Samsung's answer to the 5s with fingerprint scanner is the S5?? with a crap fingerprint scanner I feel another court case coming on. Trade Ban anyone.

the fact that you will need two hands to use the fingerprint scanner is not surprising as the 5.1" screen will need two hands and a warning label to lift. not to mention if i had one i would need to adjust all of my clothing's pockets before i could put it in any of them.

i imagine the waterproof feature would be great to use it in the kitchen as a chopping board with the added bonus that you can put it in the dishwasher afterwards. (hopefully it wouldn't turn on afterwards)

Finally in summing up

Samsung = Evil
  • Reply 154 of 236
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Guys. Again. The pulse on the back makes sense for fitness apps. Apple will do this ( I believe they have a patent). For those of us who don't like wearables.

Perhaps not as elegant as Samsung's solution but you can already take your pulse with any iPhone with an LED flash.

mrsneezy wrote: »
    so let me get this straight. Samsung's answer to the 5s with fingerprint scanner is the S5?? with a crap fingerprint scanner I feel another court case coming on. Trade Ban anyone.

I don't think that will happen, at least not because of Apple. Samsung's fingerprint scanner couldn't be more different for this feature category.
  • Reply 155 of 236
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Everybody's pretty much covered everything here in comments quite well. The only thing I would say is regarding their fingerprint reader technology.

I would expect that the swipe system Samsung has implemented here is probably not the same, and probably a lot more advanced than those sensors we've all seen on cheap crap PCs. (this is just a guess). I look forward to see how their sensor / software system fares in actual users hands.

That said, I'm just glad that Apple made the move to scoop up Authentec, and go with their simple, one handed press sensor.

• Reply 156 of 236
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bandino wrote: »
    I rarely comment seriously on a subject as close to world values than this. When i see someone on my commute train with a Samsung i look at them with the same pity as the sad suit choked sad person sitting at the train table with his massive Windows plastic monstrosity, and his mouse and his disbelief. What i have came to understand is that this their reality. They don't know any different. It's like trying to battle creationism with science. You can beat people over the head with honest, well meant help and compassion, if they don't listen, move on. It's called triage. I know that one day i will live in a world with No Religion, No Windows, No android and we'll go on a mission that we may call a Star Trek.

To the future,

Children of Earth,

xox

You'd be surprised at how many do know different. Don't automatically assume that they've owned Samsung devices their entire life. I take the subway through hipster city and before the SGS 3 would see nothing but iPhones, now I see the very same hipsters but the SGS3/4:iPhone ratio is about 50/50 now.
  • Reply 157 of 236
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps not as elegant as Samsung's solution but you can already take your pulse with any iPhone with an LED flash.

SolipsismX,

not that I have a practical use for this, but could you PM me a link about if you have an App name that you have seen work? The engineer side of me is curious how this works. If its not overly expensive and actually works, I'd like to give it a try. 

TIA

• Reply 158 of 236
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

so what is the draw to this new "flagship" so yesteryear    fingerprint scanner that requires precise movement and two hands

i can simply lay my finger on the home button without even looking at it to open

lousy ergonomics

NOT 64 bit

PLASTIC!!!!!

they better have different colors people won't know which is which

so why upgrade

you can get the same for cheaper a poor functioning feature is a non feature   best to buy the 5c    can't compare this to the iPhone 5s

DOG    arf arf

• Reply 159 of 236
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Everybody's pretty much covered everything here in comments quite well. The only thing I would say is regarding their fingerprint reader technology.

I would expect that the swipe system Samsung has implemented here is probably not the same, and probably a lot more advanced than those sensors we've all seen on cheap crap PCs. (this is just a guess). I look forward to see how their sensor / software system fares in actual users hands.

That said, I'm just glad that Apple made the move to scoop up Authentec, and go with their simple, one handed press sensor.

one would hope, but seems like the Verge says otherwise.  At least based on the usage and result, it seems to play out like the old PC technology many have experienced.The fact that unlocking the phone is not as transparent as Apple's approach (i.e. you don't even know you are doing it), is enough to have to solution be undesirable to many. 

• Reply 160 of 236
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

From The Verge:

Quote:

Samsung’s version requires a vertical swipe over the home button to activate the scanner, and we found it to be quite unreliable and virtually impossible to activate when holding the phone in one hand.

Also, you can use the unreliable scanner for on-line purchases, like TouchID, except that:

Quote:

... or authenticate purchases online (Samsung is partnering with PayPal to enable this feature, though it doesn’t validate purchases from the Google Play Store).

So, to be honest, it seems fairly worthless.