Google rumored to debut 'Nexus' smart watch with new operating system in June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    sudonym wrote: »
    I hate those Fandroids so much that I know that this will be a cheap copy of what Apple has planned. Google makes nothing that I want. Nothing. I prefer Apple, thankyuouverymuch.

You forgot the /s

And you're not fooling anyone.
  • Reply 22 of 58

Announce to the market, ok. Arrive at the market? A whole different thing. This is Google we are talking about.

• Reply 23 of 58

I'm really fake surprised by this news. Companies are trying to beat Apple based on rumors that they're working on their own watch. Apple really is one of the only companies that isn't a reactionary company.

• Reply 24 of 58
    I completely disagree that Google has no style, coherent experience, or product ecosystem.  Google's apps have been converging lately to a tasteful design with light colors, clean fonts, and good information density.  And the Google ecosystem is linked seamlessly by their cloud services.  It's one thing to not like the company when you are abreast of their products and another to not like the company when you're clueless.

I think it's all a poor experience, and checked to see if anything has changed for the better. So I went to google.com where one can find 5 items: search bar, +You, Gmail, Images and a button for 'more'. So I click on 'more' to find 9 items, plies yet another button with 'more'. I think this is a poor design; just show all the buttons, preferably on their homepage. Apple had this with MM and now also hide the buttons on iCloud, which I don't like.

So I tick on 'even more from Google' to tak a look at their Docs implementation. I'm instantly in a word processing view, while I would've expected to make a choice first on what type of document I would like to create. No, word processing. So how does one create a presentation document? Ah, signing in to Google Drive. Ok. And another new window/tab.

What's up with this 'Display Density' setting? Why even design it: 'Comfortable', 'Cozy' or 'Compact'? The amount of inconsistencies is staggering, the use of colours, fonts, it's all ugly IMO. Highly opinionated opinion.

If I browse their other stuff things don't make sense either. Their video calling software is called Hangouts, some sort of social media app. But ok, Wiki tells me it's the successor to 3 apps they previously had, so I guess that's a plus. But no XXMP support; so much for openness.

I'd probably find more of this crap if I browse any longer. But yeah, they do have an ecosystem, that's true. I just don't like how it's all designed.
  • Reply 25 of 58

next this year Samsung announces ''Samsung Galaxy Ring'' and others will follow,  wow! i really wish i was Tim Cook every word coming out from his mouth its magical

• Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So I tick on 'even more from Google' to tak a look at their Docs implementation. I'm instantly in a word processing view, while I would've expected to make a choice first on what type of document I would like to create. No, word processing. So how does one create a presentation document? Ah, signing in to Google Drive. Ok. And another new window/tab.

On the "even more from Google" page, do you not have the options of Docs, Slides, and Sheets?

• Reply 27 of 58
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

On the "even more from Google" page, do you not have the options of Docs, Slides, and Sheets?

Nope. Go here:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/products/
    and ticking on Docs gets you a Word Processor. I think this is simply a very poor experience, bad design, like it hasn't been tested. This coming from someone who doesn't use Google products should say something. Others must've noticed this.
  • Reply 28 of 58

Given that Sansung is using Tizen to run its watch and Google will build a new OS for its watch, it seems natural that Apple is also building a new OS for its watch. Maybe that's why Tim Cook mentioned new categories of products.

Sorry, it's probably obvious for everyone here! I am too slow :embarrass

• Reply 29 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Nope. Go here:
    and ticking on Docs gets you a Word Processor. I think this is simply a very poor experience, bad design, like it hasn't been tested. This coming from someone who doesn't use Google products should say something. Others must've noticed this.
    That's weird Phil. Using your link I see them listed. What are you seeing directly beneath Docs?

Home & Office
    Gmail
    Fast, searchable email with less spam
    Drive
    Create, share and keep all your stuff in one place
    Docs
    Open, edit, and create documents
    Sheets
    Open, edit, and create spreadsheets
    Slides
    Open, edit, and create presentations
    Forms
    Build free surveys
    Drawings
    Create diagrams and flow charts
    Sites
    Create websites and secure group wikis
    Calendar
    Organize your schedule and share events with friends
    Translate
    Instantly translate text, web pages, and files between over 50 languages
    Voice
    One number for all your phones, online voicemail and cheap calling
    Google Wallet
    Make your phone your wallet
    Google Cloud Print
    Print anywhere, from any device
    Google Keep
    Save what’s on your mind
  • Reply 30 of 58

Nope. Go here:
    you should try the google.co.uk site. You then get to choose which app to use. You still get asked to log into google drive though but you do get the choice of word processor, presentations etc
  • Reply 31 of 58
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's weird Phil. Using your link I see them listed. What are you seeing directly beneath Docs?

Looks like you are privileged with way more Google Products than me. Possibly for good reason! (And that works both ways)

Clicking on Docs over here:

Gives me this:

No choice in type of 'Doc'. But...(read below post)
    you should try the google.co.uk site. You then get to choose which app to use. You still get asked to log into google drive though but you do get the choice of word processor, presentations etc

Frick me, that's a vastly longer list than what I'm getting! Looks like Gatorguy isn't privileged; mine just happen to be revoked!
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

Nope. Go here:

I followed your link and for some reason I still see options for Docs, Sheets, and Slides.

Does your page look different? 

Edit: I saw your post above. Weird.

• Reply 33 of 58
    Does your page look different?

Yup. Mine's just above. I think I know what the problem might be: besides not having Flash installed I also did a clean install of 10.9, which I believe means I don't have Java installed. Could that be the culprit? Not that it matters, but...

edit: you're in 'Home&Office' and I was at 'Google/Products', or so the top left hand says... But the links are above
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

Yup. Mine's just above. I think I know what the problem might be: besides not having Flash installed I also did a clean install of 10.9, which I believe means I don't have Java installed. Could that be the culprit? Not that it matters, but...

edit: you're in 'Home&Office' and I was at 'Google/Products', or so the top left hand says... But the links are above

I don't think that's the problem. I took the screenshot from Safari with neither flash nor java installed. "Home and Office" is just the name of the subsection (after "web", "mobile", "media", "geo", "specialized search")

• Reply 35 of 58
    I don't think that's the problem. I took the screenshot from Safari with neither flash nor java installed. "Home and Office" is just the name of the subsection

I also don't have these subsections. I went back and kept on changing the TLD; you'll get different pages from country to country. So much for attention to detail, or maybe it is a legal issue. I'm sure Gatorguy would either know this from he top of his head or finds a link in 0.00000254214 sec.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    I'm sure Gatorguy would either know this from he top of his head or finds a link in 0.00000254214 sec.
    :???: Sorry, I don't know what that means.

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. Duh!
  • Reply 37 of 58
    I'm sure Gatorguy would either know this from he top of his head or finds a link in 0.00000254214 sec.

Well, than this is the first time for me to +1 a post that gave me zilch :D
  • Reply 38 of 58
    I also don't have these subsections. I went back and kept on changing the TLD; you'll get different pages from country to country. So much for attention to detail, or maybe it is a legal issue. I'm sure Gatorguy would either know this from he top of his head or finds a link in 0.00000254214 sec.

Maybe when people call you GoogleGuy they are referring to how impossibly fast you can search for relevant links.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Maybe when people call you GoogleGuy they are referring to how impossibly fast you can search for relevant links.

Oh, well it's easy! I use Google instead of Bing :D
  • Reply 40 of 58
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I for one am interested to see what they'll come up with.

Google isn't Samsung, they have some imagination of their own.

I may be interested in a smartwatch, and I'm very curious about what sensor Apple will include in the end.