Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
Apple on Tuesday released an incremental update for its Mavericks operating system, with OS X 10.9.2 addressing a critical SSL-related security flaw for Mac users, and also adding a handful of new features, most notably additions for FaceTime calls and iMessage user blocking.

OS X

The newly released update also gives users the ability to make and receive FaceTime audio calls. This functionality was previously limited to iOS devices.

With OS X 10.9.2, users also gain the ability to use call waiting when using FaceTime audio and video. Users on iMessages can also block incoming messages from individual senders.

As for the "goto fail" SSL bug, AppleInsider was first to report on Monday that Apple was providing its internal employees with a prerelease build that addresses the flaw. Such measures signal that the public release of a new OS X build is imminent.

The SSL security issue was also addressed in iOS 7.0.6, an update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that was delivered late last week.

Additional features in the latest version of Mavericks, now available through Software Update on the OS X App Store, include:
  • Adds the ability to block incoming iMessages from individual senders
  • Improves the accuracy of unread counts in Mail
  • Resolves an issue that prevented Mail from receiving new messages from certain providers
  • Improves AutoFill compatibility in Safari
  • Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion on certain Macs
  • Improves reliability when connecting to a file server using SMB2
  • Fixes an issue that may cause VPN connections to disconnect
  • Improves VoiceOver navigation in Mail and Finder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 196
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

To update or not to update..in the middle of work day...that is the question.

• Reply 2 of 196
    More information can be found here: https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html
    And yes, 'it's really that bad'.
  • Reply 3 of 196
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Not at work so I updated. What's a safe site to test to make sure it works?

• Reply 4 of 196
    These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.
  • Reply 5 of 196
    rob53 wrote: »
    Not at work so I updated. What's a safe site to test to make sure it works?

• Reply 6 of 196
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

And yes, 'it's really that bad'.

Except it isn’t. Because they just patched it.

• Reply 7 of 196

You should know better than that (read the link I posted).
  • Reply 8 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thanks. I am now Safe.

• Reply 9 of 196

So where in the link does it say 10.9.2 is still affected?

• Reply 10 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.

I hear ya.  That's why for entertainment I go see a movie or a show nowadays.

• Reply 11 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Actually he does because it was an easy fix and it now works properly. If you actually know everything (vs being know it all who knows nothing) then why didn't you find it first????

• Reply 12 of 196
    pmz wrote: »

Updated ... All is fine, so far ...
  • Reply 13 of 196

Did you change your iTunes/iCloud password? What about every other password for every other account that may have passed through Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes, iCloud documents for various Mac and iOS apps, etc.?
  • Reply 14 of 196

Awww, they fixed the Gotofail bug.  Now what will all these poor click-whoring bloggers and stock manipulators have to get their panties all bunched up for now?

• Reply 15 of 196
    tundraboy wrote: »
    brlawyer wrote: »

I hear ya.  That's why for entertainment I go see a movie or a show nowadays.

Only took about 15 min. end-to-end on my 2012 iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 196
    So where in the link does it say 10.9.2 is still affected?

Struisvogelpolitiek won't get you (and Apple) anywhere.
    Face the facts.
  • Reply 17 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Only took about 15 min. end-to-end on my 2012 iMac.

About the same here. Two automatic restarts and an iTunes account login request for iCloud.

• Reply 18 of 196

They patched it but remember that everything you may have sent via for the last 18 months can now be easily read by anyone that may have captured your data. It's not just public WiFI hotspots you need to consider. In fact, I'd say that is the least likely threat to your privacy you are bound to experience from this security bug. Again, I recommend everyone at least change their iTunes/iCloud password.

Updated ... All is fine, so far ...

Unfortunately we all thought everything was fine up until late last week. :D
  • Reply 19 of 196
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No question at all. Don’t update in the middle of the work day, period. Don’t temp fate or the binary demons.

• Reply 20 of 196
    Actually he does because it was an easy fix and it now works properly. If you actually know everything (vs being know it all who knows nothing) then why didn't you find it first????

You seem to have a very simplistic world view. The fact that it is easy to fix has no relation to the severity of the security breach.
    What about the months that have gone by while this bug was in place?