Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Comments

• Reply 41 of 196
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    focher wrote: »
    I don't think you understand dates and spans of time. Ya see, the link you posted was the explanation of the SSL exploit as provided by Adam Langley on February 22nd whereas the 10.9.2 update containing a fix for that bug was released on February 25th. Perhaps you can now understand what's going on.

You seem to have missed my post to Tallest Skil. Ya see, you have to stay alert.
  • Reply 42 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This was, by all accounts, the most serious breach in the history of computing. Therefore the fix should be the single greatest update ever done in the history of computing.

I wonder if as much attention will be paid to the fix as to the doomsayers claiming this was such huge security flaw?

There is no correction to risk level and effort to correct a risk, as noted by the on line, 10 characters, of repeated code is all it took to cause this issue.
    What I really like is how many talk about how this was such a big deal, yet nobody can produce a list of all the victims. Where are they? Where are the countless people who have had money taken from their bank, charges of their credit cards or iTunes accounts compromised?

Security is most effective when one taking proactive measures. It's why we have passwords in the first place instead of waiting for something to type in our usernames without our permission.
  • Reply 43 of 196
    I just installed the update onto my MacBook Pro… and now the speakers do NOT work! Still get sound via bluetooth, but no sound out via the speakers at all… geez.
    -e
  • Reply 44 of 196
    focher wrote: »
    I don't think you understand dates and spans of time. Ya see, the link you posted was the explanation of the SSL exploit as provided by Adam Langley on February 22nd whereas the 10.9.2 update containing a fix for that bug was released on February 25th. Perhaps you can now understand what's going on.

The time span is 18 months. What you're reporting is when the public became aware of the security issue. You're falsely attributing security to not having been privy to the breach prior to February 22nd. You have no idea who or what has been exploiting this bug for the last 18 months.
  • Reply 45 of 196
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.

I'm actually glad Apple keeps adding more under the hood changes and improvements. This keeps the underpinnings of OS X more up to date unlike other OS's out there. This can set them up for future products and OS X features down the road. 

It's easy to say 10.2 and 10.3 were more interesting because back then it was just really a baby OS and needed these so called amazing new features to make the OS what it is today. Today, its a very mature OS and nothing of extreme significance needs to be added right now. I really don't see any issues with what they're going with OS X. 

• Reply 46 of 196
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

I just installed the update onto my MacBook Pro… and now the speakers do NOT work! Still get sound via bluetooth, but no sound out via the speakers at all… geez.

-e

Audio works fine on my MBP. Maybe another restart? Reset PRAM?

• Reply 47 of 196
    ebergh wrote: »
    -e

Restart again. If it still doesn't work grab the combo update and do it again but first your permissions and disk with Disk Utility to make sure there are no other issues.
  • Reply 48 of 196
    This was, by all accounts, the most serious breach in the history of computing. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">T</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">herefore the fix should be the single greatest update ever done</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> in the history of computing.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I wonder if as much attention will be paid to the fix as to the doomsayers claiming this was such huge security flaw?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">What I really like is how many talk about how this was such a big deal, yet nobody can produce a list of all the victims. Where are they? Where are the countless people who have had money taken from their bank, charges of their credit cards or iTunes accounts compromised?</span>

I monitor my bank accounts and credit cards on a daily basis.

The worst problem I've had is one bogus charge to Discover from Brazil -- Discover caught the charge.

Discover has locked down my credit card 3 times in the last 5 months because of security -- and issued a new card. The problem with this is that I use Discover to autopay all the monthly bills I can (2% Cashback). Every time the card is reissued it screws up the autopay (sometimes with a charge from the payee). So, now I pay all my recurring bills manually.

Sigh ...
  • Reply 49 of 196
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    A storm in a teacup
  • Reply 50 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm actually glad Apple keeps adding more under the hood changes and improvements. This keeps the underpinnings of OS X more up to date unlike other OS's out there. This can set them up for future products and OS X features down the road. 

It's easy to say 10.2 and 10.3 were more interesting because back then it was just really a baby OS and needed these so called amazing new features to make the OS what it is today. Today, its a very mature OS and nothing of extreme significance needs to be added right now. I really don't see any issues with what they're going with OS X. 

I know that - but it doesn't mean it's not boring :D

• Reply 51 of 196
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Give me a break!  This whole thing has been so overstated!

It was a very specific and even minor threat for most typical users!

And Apple was able to fix it in 24 hours.

This is a non-story being shouted from the rooftops.

• Reply 52 of 196
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Mail still doesn't fetch worth a damn.

• Reply 53 of 196
    Updated ... All is fine, so far ...

"This is your captain speaking, there is no reason for alarm..."
  • Reply 54 of 196

Changed the power button behavior from touching and going to sleep to touching and nothing happens.  You have to press for one second to go to sleep and about 3 to get the options dialog box.  Excellent.  

• Reply 55 of 196
    512ke wrote: »
    Give me a break!  This whole thing has been so overstated!

It was a very specific and even minor threat for most typical users!

And Apple was able to fix it in 24 hours.

This is a non-story being shouted from the rooftops.

1) It didn't take only 24 hours to issue a fix since it went public.

2) It's been out there for about 18 months.

3) You have no idea who or what could have or will have access to any account that used their SSL. Do you think people that had their CC card stolen in that Target breach should wait until their card is illegally used before getting a new card? And that actually takes more time to complete and has zero risk for the user since your accounts are insured.
  • Reply 56 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mail still doesn't fetch worth a damn.

Interesting. I've not had a single issue with Mail in Mavericks.

• Reply 57 of 196
    Changed the power button behavior from touching and going to sleep to touching and nothing happens.  You have to press for one second to go to sleep and about 3 to get the options dialog box.  Excellent.  

How do you do that? I find that to be the worst features with the new MBP design putting the power button next to the volume up and delete buttons.
  • Reply 58 of 196
    macxpress wrote: »
    brlawyer wrote: »
    These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.

I had a thought while I waited for the 15 minutes to update -- an epiphany, actually!

From the Apple ][ days, Apple computers have had a good part of their OS in the hardware (Integer BASIC, MiniAssembler, Debugger, etc.) -- in ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS. This was especially true of the Original Macs. To some extent, this is still true today with the TouchID enclave in the A7 and with the various programming constructs in the M7.

It seems to me, that there could be many advantages to moving lower-level constructs of the OS into hardware where they can be more securely monitored and controlled. There are established, secure, protocols for patching/overriding code in ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS -- I suspect that this could be true of logic on the Ax and Mx chips.

Hmmm ...
  • Reply 59 of 196
    Why can't they fix this freakin gmail problem already. There's been like what, 3 or 4 so called mail fix updates and still doesn't work. Uhg.
  • Reply 60 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Why can't they fix this freakin gmail problem already. There's been like what, 3 or 4 so called mail fix updates and still doesn't work. Uhg.

What problems are you having? Just wondering if they are the same as mine.