Apple, Inc. asks Arizona governor to veto state gay discrimination bill

Comments

• Reply 161 of 294
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="randallking" url="/t/162177/apple-inc-asks-arizona-governor-to-veto-state-gay-discrimination-bill/120#post_2477580"]I've enjoyed the discussion, but I have lots of work to do.[/QUOTE]

I'm proud of you. It takes a big person to admit they have to work on themselves.
  • Reply 162 of 294

It always makes me laugh when people think this is a social issue or start talking about God. This issue is a trojan horse it pretends to be a social issue, it is pushed as being a social issue but it's an economic issue. Gov. Jan Brewer will veto this measure because it will impact her state economy in the long run. She could care less about Tim Cook being gay all she cares about is Apple building a facility in her state. If Apple had no plans to bring jobs to her state he would have zero power on this current measure. 

The gay issue in America is all about federal benefits, it has always been about federal benefits for gays. If gay marriage is legal it allows for same sex couples to receive federal benefits. In a country where marriage has become a joke, an extremely high divorce rate it's comical to think the majority of Americans even thinks about this issue. 

We are attempting to come out of the worse economic crash in a generation and people think the majority of Americans care about some stupid social issue? The gay population is a well funded loud minority that strikes about as much fear as a pitbull with no teeth. It's liberal judges that move the agenda forward even when the population of a state votes against gay marriage. Most large and even medium sizes companies in the US already give full benefits to couples in a civil union. Again this issue is about federal benefits, has nothing to do with God or morals. 

Most polls show the majority of American citizens would support a nationwide marriage equality law. Most liberals running for elections use gay marriage as a platform including Obama yet do very little on a federal level to support gay marriage once elected. 

• Reply 163 of 294
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm proud of you. It takes a big person to admit they have to work on themselves.

Big in girth, or big in brain? Guess it doesn't matter because both know that they have to work on themselves. :lol:
  • Reply 164 of 294

I always wondered what the "H" in Jesus H Christ stood for.

• Reply 165 of 294
    emesemes Posts: 239member

This entire thread reminds me of Youtube comments *facedesk*

• Reply 166 of 294
    atlapple wrote: »
    It always makes me laugh when people think this is a social issue or start talking about God. This issue is a trojan horse it pretends to be a social issue, it is pushed as being a social issue but it's an economic issue. Gov. Jan Brewer will veto this measure because it will impact her state economy in the long run. She could care less about Tim Cook being gay all she cares about is Apple building a facility in her state. If Apple had no plans to bring jobs to her state he would have zero power on this current measure. 

The gay issue in America is all about federal benefits, it has always been about federal benefits for gays. If gay marriage is legal it allows for same sex couples to receive federal benefits. In a country where marriage has become a joke, an extremely high divorce rate it's comical to think the majority of Americans even thinks about this issue. 

We are attempting to come out of the worse economic crash in a generation and people think the majority of Americans care about some stupid social issue? The gay population is a well funded loud minority that strikes about as much fear as a pitbull with no teeth. It's liberal judges that move the agenda forward even when the population of a state votes against gay marriage. Most large and even medium sizes companies in the US already give full benefits to couples in a civil union. Again this issue is about federal benefits, has nothing to do with God or morals. 

Most polls show the majority of American citizens would support a nationwide marriage equality law. Most liberals running for elections use gay marriage as a platform including Obama yet do very little on a federal level to support gay marriage once elected. 

It wasn't long ago that people in favour of segregated schools, public places and business, and against interracial relationships were using randallking's same arguments. And before that we had people opposed to getting rid of slavery because of Christian values that were "proved" by quoting scripture.
  • Reply 167 of 294
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nor was his name Jesus.

Jesus is the translation of Yeshua, but his last name was definitely not Christ.

Some claim it was Yahushua or Yahshua, because it is derived from Yahweh, but, in any case, normally, one does not translate a proper name. In the Biblical days, only the scribes knew how to write, but everyone had a name. It is how the name sounds that is important. No matter which way it was eventually written in each language, it should always be phonetically correct because it is a proper name. But, alas, not too many people agreed with that way thinking during the Englishification of the world. 

• Reply 168 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by randallking View Post

The same Jesus you reference [yadda yadda yadda] repentance from wickedness [yadda yadda yadda]

The Holy Misroller (HM). Holy Misrollers are those online forum participants who give Christians (or other religious adherents) a bad name. The HM believes himself or herself to be a Christian (etc.) and will generally tell anyone who'll listen about his or her faith in God and in Jesus. At the same time, however, the HM will display decidedly un-Christian behavior, frequently making an *** out of him- or herself. The HM is often characterized by a great deal of anger and hostility. The breed tends to lash out at anyone and anything not in keeping with its incorrectly narrow worldview. The saddest part about HMs is that they do not truly understand Christianity at all.

• Reply 169 of 294
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    Some claim it was Yahushua or Yahshua, because it is derived from Yahweh, but, in any case, normally, one does not translate a proper name. In the Biblical days, only the scribes knew how to write, but everyone had a name. It is how the name sounds that is important. No matter which way it was eventually written in each language, it should always be phonetically correct because it is a proper name. But, alas, not too many people agreed with that way thinking during the Englishification of the world. 

Funny story, there was a Persian christian guy in my job that we called 'Jesse', one day i see that his real name is 'Isa', so I question him about it. He tells me Isa is the Arabic name for Jesus, and how his father named him that because Jesus came to him in a dream and told him he was going to have a son, so I asked him why doesn't he go by 'Jesus' instead, he said "I used to but everyone used to think I was hispanic" :lol:
  • Reply 170 of 294
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Funny story, there was a Persian christian guy in my job that we called 'Jesse', one day i see that his real name is 'Isa', so I question him about it. He tells me Isa is the Arabic name for Jesus, and how his father named him that because Jesus came to him in a dream and told him he was going to have a son, so I asked him why doesn't he go by 'Jesus' instead, he said "I used to but everyone used to think I was hispanic" :lol:

I can see that but I think Spanish speakers pronounce it HEY-zoos.

Speaking of Spanish, there is a student in my class whose name is Osama. I'd think it would suck to have a name that gets vilified. I imagine that the name Adolf was an extremely popular boy's name in Germany during a certain part of the 20th century and then dropped sharply for the rest of the 20th century. Just a hunch.
  • Reply 171 of 294
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

The Holy Misroller (HM). Holy Misrollers are those online forum participants who give Christians (or other religious adherents) a bad name. The HM believes himself or herself to be a Christian (etc.) and will generally tell anyone who'll listen about his or her faith in God and in Jesus. At the same time, however, the HM will display decidedly un-Christian behavior, frequently making an *** out of him- or herself. The HM is often characterized by a great deal of anger and hostility. The breed tends to lash out at anyone and anything not in keeping with its incorrectly narrow worldview. The saddest part about HMs is that they do not truly understand Christianity at all.

That

• Reply 172 of 294
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

AppleInsider, I would have preferred that you speak with a less biased voice in your writing. Please just report the facts instead of taking sides.

That said, I stand with the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Word of God, who calls homosexuality an abomination in his holy scriptures.

Nevertheless, I expect a news site to report facts and not lace it with personal feelings, either toward the side I hold or to the other.

There only IS one side here.  Yeesh.

• Reply 173 of 294
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see that but I think Spanish speakers pronounce it HEY-zoos.

The guy I use to paint some of my properties is "Jesus Ojeda"- great guy.  But my contact just says "Jesus".  I crack up anytime he calls me or when I have to tell someone- "Hold on- Jesus is calling me" or "Jesus is on the other line, can I call you back?"

• Reply 174 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

I always wondered what the "H" in Jesus H Christ stood for.

From Wikipedia:

"Using the name of Jesus Christ as an oath has been common for many centuries, but the precise origins of the letter H in the expression Jesus H. Christ are obscure. While many explanations have been proposed, some serious and some not, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism. The symbol, derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus ( ??????), is transliterated iota-eta-sigma, which can look like IHS, ??? (with lunate sigma), JHS or JHC. Since the transliteration IHS gave rise to the backronym Iesus Hominum Salvator (Latin for "Jesus, savior of men"), it is plausible that JHC similarly led to Jesus Harold Christ, Harold coming from the mispronunciation of the word "hallowed" of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name."

• Reply 175 of 294

OK, I'm opening a lion petting zoo in Arizona. Only Christians will have the privilege of being inside the cages, though.

I'll show myself out.

• Reply 176 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It wasn't long ago that people in favour of segregated schools, public places and business, and against interracial relationships were using randallking's same arguments. And before that we had people opposed to getting rid of slavery because of Christian values that were "proved" by quoting scripture.

I agree on some level, I am not sure I would say" it wasn't long ago". We have to at least distinguish between government policy and personal opinion or for a lack of better words "values". I am sure there are people to this day that are against interracial marriage and push Christian values. The point I was making in this case is this is about something that is pushed or showcased as a social issue when really it's an economic issue. The big fight in this country when it comes to gay rights has nothing to do with morals, it has to do with state and federal benefits. 

In fact that was the latest battle heard by our Supreme Court. I am not sure if you live in the US, if you don't again it is comical we call ourselves the "United States" when every state has their own set of laws based on the political landscape. I would say if we long around the world and at history there have been horrible acts of violence committed all in the name of religion and values. There are countries that still treat woman as second class humans and I think I am being generous with that statement. 

Last time I checked. Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Pakistan and several others, being Christian isn't what they have in common. 

• Reply 177 of 294
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

I hold dear every single word of God's holy scriptures, and I strive daily to understand it better by applying myself to studying it. It is perfect truth, never contradicts itself, and is a thorough furnisher unto all good works.

How do you hide all the dead bodies of those you discover working on the Sabbath and in truth: stone to death? The point of which is that there are choices made on that "every single word".... and beyond to the United States Constitution in the realm of public businesses. The Arizona law would appear to conflict with the 14th Amendment on equal protection.

• Reply 178 of 294
    Quote:

Please tell us the one about the Earth is only 5,000 years old. I love that story. /s

Actually, most believers of the Bible calculate the age of the Earth to be 6,000 x 1,000 x 365 (extracted from wording that a thousand years is one day...I'm not even sure what the basis is on a "year" or a "day").  You have to admit though that every single theory on the creation of earth and animals is an incredible, almost mythical story.  And buying into any one of them requires a tremendous amount of FAITH. 

• Reply 179 of 294
    Quote:

The name Yehoshua is the letter yud (') meaning "he", and the root hosheia (???) meaning "salvation". The English version of Yehoshua is Joshua. For a bit of disambiguation, the similar sounding name Isaiah is the English version of Yeshaya, which comes from the same root word, but neither of them translate as Jesus. The Hebrew spelling of Jesus could be pronounced "yasoos" (????) which means "he who is a horse".

• Reply 180 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Actually, most believers of the Bible calculate the age of the Earth to be 6,000 x 1,000 x 365 (extracted from wording that a thousand years is one day...I'm not even sure what the basis is on a "year" or a "day").  You have to admit though that every single theory on the creation of earth and animals is an incredible, almost mythical story.  And buying into any one of them requires a tremendous amount of FAITH. 

The Semitic calculation of 5774 years began at the creation of Adam, not the world