GSMA names Apple's iPad Air 'Best Mobile Tablet' of 2014

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2014
After being snubbed in 2013, Apple won the 19th annual Global Mobile Awards' "Best Mobile Tablet" for 2014 with the iPad Air, unseating last year's winners Google and Asus for their joint effort in the Nexus 7.

iPad Air

The iPad Air's award was one of many announced at the GSM Association's Mobile World Congress conference in Barcelona, Spain this week. While Apple does not have an official presence at the large gathering, many products and services represented at the conference run on the company's various hardware and software platforms.

According to the judges' comments, "The iPad Air packs class-leading performance in an attractive and svelte frame, while its ecosystem has an undisputed advantage in the number of format-optimized apps."
Precision-engineered to weigh just one pound, iPad Air is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than the fourth generation iPad, and with a 43 percent narrower bezel the borders of iPad Air are dramatically thinner. iPad Air's Retina display makes web pages, text, images and video look incredibly sharp and realistic, and the new power-efficient A7 chip allows the battery to be even smaller, helping reduce the overall volume by 24 percent from the previous generation while doubling its performance and maintaining its up to 10-hour battery life.
Other notable Global Mobile Awards wins for 2014 include HTC's One for Best Smartphone, CityMapper for Best Overall Mobile App and LG for Most Innovative Device Manufacturer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    "Mobile Tablet"? What? They're called iPads ;)
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Mobile Tablet"? What? They're called iPads image

In contrast to the immobile tablets, such as the real Surface and what Samsung will be releasing once the 13” iPad comes out.

• Reply 3 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The term mobile phone came about because phones before that we're mobile but I fail to see why we need to qualify the term tablet with mobile.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The term mobile phone came about because phones before that we're mobile but I fail to see why we need to qualify the term tablet with mobile.

I still wish some rich person would get me the Surface immobile table for playing RUSE...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Probably because there are also examples of tablets which aren't quite so mobile, like for example the Microsoft Surface (Microsoft hardware and software) from around 2008 or so.

This is version 2.0 from 2011: (Samsung hardware and Microsoft software).

• Reply 6 of 39
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Congratulations Apple for a well deserved honor.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Poor Samsung

• Reply 8 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    chipsy wrote: »

Probably because there are also examples of tablets which aren't quite so mobile, like for example the Microsoft Surface (Microsoft hardware and software) from around 2008 or so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc
    This is version 2.0 from 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9MbEM2N4o (Samsung hardware and Microsoft software).

The original Surface was a table.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly. All they did was add another ’T’ and boom.

• Reply 10 of 39
    Good for Apple they deserve it. I've really been enjoying my iPad Air the past few months.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Although often called a 'table' the use of that term is debatable. It certainly isn't a table by the strict definition of the word: "a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface for eating, writing, or working at". One the Surface (certainly the 2.0) itself didn't have legs, the actual screen and the frame that it often rested on were separate. Two the Surface for example was also designed to be used vertically as well as horizontally.

I guess we are getting too much into unnecessary detail here, the definition of 'tablet' seems more appropriate for the original Surface than 'table'. (Microsoft simply called it 'Surface computer' I think).

• Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Microsoft and Samsung had to re-name the SUR-40 table (the 2nd version of the Surface) once Microsoft decided to call their tablets Surface. So the new name? "Samsung SUR40 with Microsoft® PixelSense™." Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I think the SUR40 is being discontinued (if it hasn't been already). Maybe because the IR based sensor array is just too susceptible to ambient IR, or maybe just price (~$9K). It included an embedded PC and was nice (in the right environment) to be able to detect simple shapes or block codes laid directly on the screen, but many applications didn't take advantage of this and were simply multi-touch oriented--which can be done cheaper with pro-cap type touch screens with a separate, ultra-small form factor computer.

• Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Although often called a 'table' the use of that term is debatable. It certainly isn't a table by the strict definition of the word: "a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface for eating, writing, or working at". One the Surface (certainly the 2.0) itself didn't have legs, the actual screen and the frame that it often rested on were separate. Two the Surface for example was also designed to be used vertically as well as horizontally.

I guess we are getting too much into unnecessary detail here, the definition of 'tablet' seems more appropriate for the original Surface than 'table'. (Microsoft simply called it 'Surface computer' I think).

The Samsung SUR 40 was definitely a table (with optional legs, or, you could design your own). See my reply to jungmark.

• Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

The Samsung SUR 40 was definitely a table (with optional legs, or, you could design your own). See my reply to jungmark.

It could be turned into a table, but does that make it a table? It was also possible for example to wall mount the SUR-40 (like demonstrated by Microsoft in the advertising).

Oh well I guess there is little sense in further nitpicking stuff like this :).

Back on topic: Certainly a well deserved award for the iPad Air.

• Reply 15 of 39
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Mobile Tablet"? What? They're called iPads image

In contrast to the immobile tablets, such as the real Surface and what Samsung will be releasing once the 13” iPad comes out.

stone tablets?

• Reply 16 of 39
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

stone tablets?

I was thinking more a 17” and a 19”. You know, to replace Samsung laptops after Apple has replaced theirs. :p

• Reply 17 of 39

That's hardly an achievement - standing out as the winner among a competition of stupid tablets that don't even know what they are. No award or recognition is required because the iPads and iPhones have always been the best since their conception.

• Reply 18 of 39
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    OK, I'm trying to picture this.  so you and a 100 of your tablet competitors spends money on travel, say goodbye to family for the week, fight traffic,  get the pat down at the airport, stuff yourself into an airplane, hunt for your luggage,  eventually get yourself to the hotel.  Within a few hours, the alarm goes off, you drag yourself out of bed with zero sleep due to jet lag, get yourself all pretty for photos in your nice suit.  Show up at the awards ceremony.. and after all that they have the nerve to give the award to the one guy that does not even have any interest in showing up to the party. 
  • Reply 19 of 39
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I believe the term "mobile" in mobile tablet is in reference that it can connect to a mobile network. Not that it can be easily moved around from place to place. So an iPad with just WiFi would be called a tablet. But an iPad with 3G or 4G is a mobile tablet.

• Reply 20 of 39
    Not saying bad thing about HTC, but half of their "best phone" from Apple.
    Without Apple, how could they use CNC and laser to build the phone?
    HTC One looks like porting a MacBook Pro top case in a phone.
    P.S. Why Tim Cook share patents with HTC? Just sue them until HTC bankrupt and buy it at cheap price.