Arizona governor vetoes gay discrimination bill Apple rallied against

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Arizona Governor Governor Jan Brewer on Wednesday vetoed a controversial bill that would have, in effect, legalized wide-ranging discrimination of homosexuals as an extension of religious freedom. Apple, along with a number of other major U.S. corporations, banded together to have the bill shot down.

Brewer
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoes bill SB1062. | Source: Jan Brewer via Twitter

In a tweet on Wednesday, Gov. Brewer confirmed that she had officially vetoed bill SB1062, which proposed to grant Arizona business owners the right to turn away gay and lesbian customers on religious grounds.

The measure, sponsored by Republican State Sens. Steve Yarbrough, Nancy Barto and Bob Worsley, landed on the governor's desk last week after being approved by a Republican-led state legislature, reports CNN.

On Monday, Apple requested governor Brewer veto the bill. As noted previously, Apple's ask carried clout considering the company invested millions of dollars in an Arizona-based sapphire production facility to be run in partnership with GT Advanced Technology.

Moments ago, I vetoed #SB1062. pic.twitter.com/gdQn0dG2vB

-- Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer)

Supposedly devised to protect religious freedom and non-government business entities, the bill proposed a revision to the definitions of "exercise of religion" and "person." The following key provision was of special concern to rights activists:
Expands the definition of person to include any individual, association, partnership, corporation, church, or other business entity.
The legislation lost its legs soon after the public caught wind of the bill's potential to institutionalize discrimination. Supporters of a veto included Arizona Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, while major businesses and corporations like American Airlines and Marriott also stood against SB1062.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 323
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Welcome to the 21st century, AZ and TX!
  • Reply 2 of 323

Brewer only did this to save $$$. The 19th century (pre-Emancipation Proclamation) still rules the Arizona state government.

• Reply 3 of 323
    Even some of the republicans that voted for it were saying it was bad and asking her to veto it.
  • Reply 4 of 323
    Good and I'm not shocked at all by this news. The bill embodies hate an intolerance towards others, no one should be discriminated no matter what it is. We can't move forward as a species with these officials having such an archaic way of thinking.
  • Reply 5 of 323
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow what a shock. :rolleyes: I'm okay with this only because I don't think it was a pressing issue hopefully we can now stop talking about gays 24/7 (at least until the next manufactured crisis arises).
  • Reply 6 of 323
    We are all humans and we are allowed to love according to that basic "constitution" = LOVE!
  • Reply 7 of 323
    I'll bet it hurt her a lot to veto this bill. I am sure she did it with contempt. applezilla is correct.
  • Reply 8 of 323
    healthnut wrote: »
    Good and I'm not shocked at all by this news. The bill embodies hate an intolerance towards others, no one should be discriminated no matter what it is. We can't move forward as a species with these officials having such an archaic way of thinking.
    Ok well then I think vegetarian restaurants should be forced to serve meat because not doing so discriminates against consumers who prefer meat. And eating mets is perfectly legal in the United States. And I think CVS should have to reverse its policy of not selling cigarettes in its stores because that is discriminating against smokers, many of whom I'm sure shopped at CVS for other items as well. Last time I checked, smoking cigarettes is perfectly legal in the United States.
  • Reply 9 of 323
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The Republicans and especially the Tea Party are really on the fringe. I can understand them at all. Why are they so hateful?

• Reply 10 of 323

Everyone should have the right to discriminate between right and wrong.

• Reply 11 of 323
    Ok.
  • Reply 12 of 323
    mstone wrote: »
    The Republicans and especially the Tea Party are really on the fringe. I can understand them at all. Why are they so hateful?
    Just because someone doesn't prefer gay marriage doesn't make them hateful. And there's plenty of hateful people on the left too.
  • Reply 13 of 323
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [QUOTE]As noted previously, Apple's ask carries clout considering the company invested millions of dollars in an Arizona-based sapphire production facility to be run in partnership with GT Advanced Technology.[/QUOTE]

being an apple enthusiast, "fanboy", and advocate for as long as they've been around, and a lifelong gay american, the quoted statement is fucked up and so wrong.
  • Reply 14 of 323
    We need laws that simply state that no state law or regulation could be construed as requiring any one party to enter into a contract with any other party.
  • Reply 15 of 323
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok well then I think vegetarian restaurants should be forced to serve meat because not doing so discriminates against consumers who prefer meat. 

I hope you simply forgot the slash s. If not you are really being silly. 

• Reply 16 of 323
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Just because someone doesn't prefer gay marriage doesn't make them hateful. And there's plenty of hateful people on the left too.

1) Sure, there are haters on the left, center and right, and in every party but that's irrelevant.

2) This is a civil rights issue. Nothing more, nothing less. I would much prefer if marriage were to simply go away altogether but if one group of consenting adults is allowed to get married I think all consenting adults should be allowed to get married.

3) As for not making one "hateful" if they don't like gay marriage is it not "hateful" if one were to say, "I don't hate black people but I don't think they should be able to share the same water fountains and bathrooms as whites"? I don't put the same weight behind each of these civil rights movements but I do believe they are all discrimination based on hate.
  • Reply 17 of 323
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    pooch wrote: »
    As noted previously, Apple's ask carries clout considering the company invested millions of dollars in an Arizona-based sapphire production facility to be run in partnership with GT Advanced Technology.

being an apple enthusiast, "fanboy", and advocate for as long as they've been around, and a lifelong gay american, the quoted statement is fucked up and so wrong.

Why? I think the point is Apple is spending a lot of money in Arizona and they would not be comfortable doing that in a state that endorsed discrimination.
  • Reply 18 of 323

Gay people have a ton of disposable income. Arizona would have missed out on a lot of it.

• Reply 19 of 323

We need laws that allow business owners to have values.  Even if some don't like them.

• Reply 20 of 323

Everyone should have the right to be miserable in marriage.