Apple releases Mac Pro firmware update to address Power Nap fan control, USB device recognition issu

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2014
Apple on Wednesday released an SMC firmware update for the redesigned Mac Pro that enhances Power Nap fan control and fixes an issue that caused recognize low-speed USB devices on system startup.

Mac Pro

Apple's Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 2.0 tweaks system control settings to allow certain Power Nap processes to run without spooling up the fans. The exact Power Nap activities covered in the updated settings were not detailed in the release notes.

First announced with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Power Nap is an energy-saving feature that allows Macs to keep up to date even while sleeping. For example, with Power Nap enabled, Mail is able to collect new messages in the background without waking the Mac from sleep.

Wednesday's update also fixes a rare issue in which low-speed USB devices were not being detected at boot.

Apple's firmware update comes over two months after the company released an EFI update addressing various bugs in December before the computer shipped out to customers.

Recommended for all late-2013 Mac Pro models, the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 2.0 comes in at 544KB and can be downloaded via Apple's Support Downloads webpage or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    PowerNap? I don't think anyone uses that since they had to wait so long for the nMP to arrive that they'd leave it running 24/7 :D
  • Reply 2 of 7

You mean somebody actually has one to leave on? Been waiting two months so far for mine.

• Reply 3 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The fan came on during reboot after the update, first time I have heard it (and I edit HD) , five seconds later she rebooted and back to total silence.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The fan came on during reboot after the update, first time I have heard it (and I edit HD) , five seconds later she rebooted and back to total silence.

For some strange reason I think I'd like it better if it was humming along while I was editing HD. Still, nothing better than a silent computer.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For some strange reason I think I'd like it better if it was humming along while I was editing HD. Still, nothing better than a silent computer.

Can't wait to get mine and stop the whining that my mini is putting out every day!  It seriously sounds like it is about to blast off some times.

• Reply 6 of 7
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It seriously sounds like it is about to blast off some times.

Nothing like booting my G5 looking for a startup volume and sounding like it wanted to go for a lift-off à lá Cape Canaveral!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Nothing like booting my G5 looking for a startup volume and sounding like it wanted to go for a lift-off à lá Cape Canaveral!

For sure. Anytime I was rendering the fans would ramp up and sounded like a jet on takeoff, plus the temperature would really climb. In my case the G5 was a real lemon.