Apple, Inc. asks Arizona governor to veto state gay discrimination bill

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's funny how all those other unrighteous acts, all of which are choices save for homosexuality and effeminate, ever seem to get people all upset in the name of God.

What's even funnier is that it's not the "Christians" getting upset. It's those opposed to the Bible and the idea that God who made you knows better what's good for you than you do.

There are attacks on religious liberty all the time. Finally, a bill gets signed into law that protects them (ie: religious liberty that actually has some solid ground to stand on), and those who want to oppress find some way to "be offended" and make it about them.

Maybe I missed some posts on here, but it's not those standing up for these freedoms that are all upset. It's those that want religious freedom struck down.

• Reply 282 of 294
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Where I live, there's a long road along the lake.  There used to be a lot of mansions there, though sadly many of them have been replaced with multiple smaller homes.  Anyways, there are two churches on the road, one Catholic and one Lutheran.  Both of them take up more land than any of the biggest mansions did.  Of course, they don't have to pay property tax.

Nice work, if you can get it.

Not a fan of either of those churches. But you do realize that churches by nature have to be bigger than very large houses, no?

You know, since they temporarily "house" hundreds or thousands of people at a time...

And being offended because churches happen to exist, oh I don't know... nearby where people live? Most churchgoing folks actually WANT their church close by. food for thought.

Maybe the White House should not have so much land because it typically houses less people than are in most churches in a typical government workday? Or football stadiums should be much smaller because the homes in surrounding communities are small?

Come on, man. there are issues with the church just like there are issues anywhere humanity exists. but this is not one of them.

• Reply 283 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No I think that in most languages other than English, words are not as ambiguous and have clear singular meanings with extended implications. Not in all cases but if in fact there were more than one word in Paleo-Hebrew for "create" and it was definitive that one of those words meant create from thin air and the other meant create from materials that preexisted and were on hand, that would make a substantial difference in the meaning.

I'm not saying that is the case but I've been told that may be the basis for a possible mistranslation.

And please let me add that there is no proof that a God didn't create the universe, which wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case, as it is a rather spectacular creation. I just don't think such a powerful entity would bother to write such childish fairy tales as are found in the Bible.

Actually, such care has been taken in the translation of the Bible, more than any other book in history.

But... there have been errors. That's why it's helpful to go back to the earliest and majority manuscript text.

The words are translatable and, as in every language system ever, also must be taken into context with the surrounding thoughts present.

We can hope for having one word describe certain things just so, but more often than not, we don't have that. So we take the word in context, which forms thoughts. 

Very few words actually have such complete meanings which normally take a sentence or so to communicate. The various Greek words for "love" are some that actually do fulfill this, but given the nature of this thread, I am not going to get into that. LOL

• Reply 284 of 294
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Really? I lived my life as the good guy, and now I feel like a complete sucker. I see legions of folks gaming the system one way or another, and getting away with it and living large. Governments are corrupt from top to bottom, federal to city level, with politicians and local business leaders and other cronies walking away with vast riches, and no one cares. Once in a while you get a prosecution like the one in Bell, California, but that's the exception.

We have cops murdering a homeless, mentally ill guy and walking free. The two guys who beat Bryan Stow (and effectively killed him- the Bryan Stow that existed before the beating is destroyed) got trivial sentences, and smirked through the whole sentencing. Meanwhile Bryan and his loved ones have a life sentence of medical issues and abysmal quality of life.

But, oh, yeah, all those bad people will be sent to some fantasy firescape, right, Christians? So it's all good.

What's that? I'm going to the same place as the sociopaths and psychopaths simply because I don't believe? What kind of sick and demented dark god do you believe in? Is Darkseid running the universe? Thanos?

Until you understand and accept that you're no better than those sociopaths you'll always be lost. We're not sinners because we sin, we sin because we're sinners from the day we're born.

Btw mstone is wrong, heaven and hell is not on Earth but Satan is. Every christian knows that they're on enemy's turf.
  • Reply 285 of 294
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

It's clear you don't believe in Christianity and I strongly suspect that you would classify yourself as atheist. That's fine. I even recall finding it funny the first time I heard the Jesus zombie argument since it's written that he did rise from the dead, however, I do think one must respect one's desire to choose a religion which makes your repeated "jewish zombie" comments seem out of place to me.

It would have been funnier if he stated that Jesus was a zombie who returned to feast on the brains of the Romans with a benevolent smile on his face:D. Aside from that, like everything else in life, this can be related to Futurama.

Quote:

Eat this linguine in remembrance of me.

You know I'm slightly surprised that there was no attempt to capitalize on the flying spaghetti monster. I can't think of a brand of pasta or sauce that incorporates the FSM in product marketing.

• Reply 286 of 294
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randallking View Post

The same Jesus you reference is the eternal Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever. He said, "Before Abraham was, I am." (John 8:58) This same Lord said in Leviticus 18:22, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Granted, that was a law given to the nation of Israel, but it certainly gives us an understanding of what God thinks of such acts.

God does not change. Just because he preached forgiveness (not tolerance) while he walked this earth does not mean he preached abiding in sin. Over and over, he and his disciples preached repentance from wickedness. That includes covetousness, adultery, fornication (sexual impurity of any kind, including homosexuality), idolatry.

The argument that scripture teaches following natural inclinations doesn't hold water. Were that true, we could excuse any sin on that basis. I have a natural attraction to women; my natural tendency doesn't make rampant sexual activity okay, though I have a natural inclination that way. I must do as the Apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians 9:27 and bring my body into subjection. Christ's modern disciples have the responsibility to encourage those with homosexual tendencies to do the same.

actually Leviticus 18:22 refers to not screwing over people.

?Religious beliefs should not supersede human rights!

• Reply 287 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Don't believe it. Heaven and Hell are both right here on Earth. You make the wrong choices, you will suffer for your entire life, in some cases, cause your family to suffer long after you are gone. There is something to be said for clean living regardless if it is associated with some religious beliefs or doctrine or not.

Yeah, never mind the next world. I'm in hell, and believe me, it's not a nice place.

• Reply 288 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Considering the entire bible is nothing more than TRANSLATIONS, written BY MAN, your theory is with doubt, which in itself questions your own beliefs. 

You can't be "clear" and "believe" as FACT in the same sentence about one topic. 

Christianity is the biggest ripoff religion to ever come around. It was founded to force people into a belief system for the good of governments. 

There's a good little movie you should watch. It puts things into perspective a little more. http://zeitgeistmovie.com

Keep in mind this very important part of ANY religion: Religions are based on BELIEFS and FAITH, not FACTS. If you want to believe in something and have faith, put those efforts into yourself. If you believe and have faith in YOURSELF, you'll get much further ahead in life. My life has been dramatically improved since I realized religion for what it is: complete, utter bullshit that's purest goal is to control a society. 

Why should you have belief and faith in yourself? What do you do if you have no faith or belief in yourself?

• Reply 289 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why should you have belief and faith in yourself? What do you do if you have no faith or belief in yourself?

Why SHOULDN'T someone have faith or belief in one's self? Believing you can do anything you put your mind to is one of the most powerful tools we're given. Do you think the most successful people in the world got there because they prayed to some mythical god? No. They got where they are because they focused on self worth and discipline, knowing they can do anything if they put their mind to it. Some mythical god in the sky had nothing to do with it.

• Reply 290 of 294
    Why SHOULDN'T someone have faith or belief in one's self? Believing you can do anything you put your mind to is one of the most powerful tools we're given. Do you think the most successful people in the world got there because they prayed to some mythical god? No. They got where they are because they focused on self worth and discipline, knowing they can do anything if they put their mind to it. Some mythical god in the sky had nothing to do with it.

Speculating about whether God helped successful people to become successful or not is beside the point. Your fundamental premise is flawed:

'Believing you can do anything you put your mind to is one of the most powerful tools we're given.'

You assume that everyone is given this 'powerful tool'. I would say that almost everyone doesn't have it, which makes it a false statement.
  • Reply 291 of 294
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Speculating about whether God helped successful people to become successful or not is beside the point. Your fundamental premise is flawed:

'Believing you can do anything you put your mind to is one of the most powerful tools we're given.'

You assume that everyone is given this 'powerful tool'. I would say that almost everyone doesn't have it, which makes it a false statement.

I guess you never saw Trading Places. :lol:
  • Reply 292 of 294
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Believing you can do anything you put your mind to is one of the most powerful tools we're given.

There are limitations to what a human can do- obviously.

Quote:

Do you think the most successful people in the world got there because they prayed to some mythical god? No. 

Yes- I do think that.  Some of the most- what you define as "successful" (power or money)- people in our country were and are professed Christians.  Obviously they have gifts and talents that they acted on.  Just as there are Christians and non-christians alike who don't act on their talents.  Christians will claim it was because they acted on their talents that were given to them from God, non-Christians will claim it was because they acted on their talents alone.  But do I think power and money are success?  Absolutely not.  The appetite for more is always there- whether it be power or money.  It takes careful consideration to not fall into that trap.

Quote:

They got where they are because they focused on self worth and discipline, knowing they can do anything if they put their mind to it. Some mythical god in the sky had nothing to do with it.

Look- you can believe what you want Red- that's the amazing thing about our Country and you as a human.  But please don't insult people because you think they are dumb in believing in something.  If you think sleeping with a guy is disgusting, you shouldn't go tell a homosexual that either.  I fail to see the difference in discrimination here.  It's called respecting people and their beliefs.  And please don't talk about how that's what the church does, etc- because I don't feel that way.  You have to be responsible for yourself Red, and the way you treat people.
  • Reply 293 of 294
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I don't respect beliefs that are, to me, silly on their face.  I don't believe in god any more than I believe in ghosts or seeing the future or mind reading or magic or luck or unicorns.

I only respect concepts that are falsifiable.