Apple retains title of 'most admired' company for 7th straight victory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
For the seventh year in a row, Apple has been deemed the "World's Most Admired Company," edging out rivals such as Amazon and Google to take first place in the 2014 rankings.

Fortune

The annual list of the "most admired" companies on the planet was published on Thursday by Fortune. While Apple remained No. 1, there were a number of changes in the top 10, starting off with Amazon and Google swapping places, and now representing second and third place, respectively.

Following those two rivals was Berkshire Hathaway in fourth place, followed by coffee maker Starbucks in fifth. Coca-Cola fell from fourth to sixth in this year's rankings, followed by Walt Disney in seventh.

Rounding out the top 10 were FedEx, Southwest Airlines, and General Electric. One major electronics company that fell out of this year's top 10 was IBM, which dropped to No. 16.

Other notable brands in the rankings include Nike (No. 13), Samsung Electronics (No. 21), Microsoft, (No. 24), Facebook (No. 38), eBay (No. 44), and Intel (No. 47).

U.S. wireless provider AT&T barely cracked the list at No. 50, while its chief rival Verizon was not ranked.

Fortune's annual "most admired" ranking is whittled down from a starting list of 1,400 companies. Eligible corporations are ranked by conducting surveys with 3,920 correspondents comprised of executives, directors and analysts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

AAPL tanks on the news.

• Reply 2 of 53
    Fortune quote:

[quote]Google
    Google 3
    Top 50 rank: 3
    Rank in Internet Services and Retailing: 1
    (Previous rank: 1)
    Overall score: 8.07
    Ticker:GOOG

Why it's admired:
    Though it dropped a spot to Amazon.com this year, Google continues to find ways to make life easier ([B]sometimes creepily so[/B]) via mind-blowing Internet products. It also seeks to blow minds with its innovative “moonshot projects,” like the production of driverless cars. Google, which saw revenues climb 22% in 2013, acquired among other things, a handful of robotics companies and Nest, the smart thermostat company last year. --E.F.
    [/quote]
  • Reply 3 of 53
    This and other such titles like th JDPowers customer satisfaction top ranks awarded to Apple along with the Q1 2014 POZITIVE and ascending overall results, generate tanking of the stock....I'm simply lost. The stock market behaves too irrational. Nothing is rational anymore, just pure speculation.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    AAPL tanks on the news.
    And news like this is also troll bait, unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Fortune quote:
    Quote:

Google

Google 3

Top 50 rank: 3

Rank in Internet Services and Retailing: 1

(Previous rank: 1)

Overall score: 8.07

Ticker:GOOG

Why it's admired:

Though it dropped a spot to Amazon.com this year, Google continues to find ways to make life easier (sometimes creepily so) via mind-blowing Internet products. It also seeks to blow minds with its innovative “moonshot projects,” like the production of driverless cars. Google, which saw revenues climb 22% in 2013, acquired among other things, a handful of robotics companies and Nest, the smart thermostat company last year. --E.F.

I guess Fortune hates Google too!

• Reply 6 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Amazon? Admired? Why?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Whoopy-frickin-do.

• Reply 8 of 53
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    most admired but not even in fortune's top 100 best companies to work for ...
  • Reply 9 of 53
    sudonym wrote: »
    I guess Fortune hates Google too!

That, or they are simply being objective and not biased.
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Whoopy-frickin-do.

TS, is that you?
  • Reply 10 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »

BTW you did recognize who "they" were. . . other business executives for the most part. It's a nice recognition.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That's admirable.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »

BTW you did recognize who "they" were. . . other business executives for the most part. It's a nice recognition.

Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..
  • Reply 13 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..

err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    These are almost entirely American companies. Hard to believe there aren't more international companies on the list if this survey was done properly. I think the survey is more likely the most popular brands in the USA.
  • Reply 15 of 53

Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

• Reply 16 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.

Sorry slightly off topic but regarding Amazon's 'Admirability Level' ... Amazon deserves it IMHO it, perhaps not the Wall Street brown nosing, but certainly from consumers. The services is almost unbelievable. Only yesterday I returned a product I had ordered (and was shipped free) only to discover I'd ordered the wrong thing, totally my error which I admitted. I was given an immediate refund and they paid the return shipping! Mind blowing customer satisfaction generated immediately ...
  • Reply 17 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

I think the survey is more likely the most popular brands in the USA.

Nope. In the article, it says that these are the most admired brands on the planet.

American brands are far ahead of any other country's brands, when it comes to be being global juggernauts.

Even Samsung is on the list, though they're at #21.

• Reply 18 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    Amazon? Admired? Why?

Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. But I'm not just talking about their primary goods store. They also have their EC2 cloud computing. I can setup and run complex server scenarios that I can put on the internet and it's unbelievably inexpensive.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    disturbia wrote: »
    Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

I love YouTube, not the mindless crap posted about dog tricks, I mean the ability to create a channel and distribute ones own HD material worldwide in seconds for business purposes. I do admire that. I was one of the early Google developers granted unlimited length HD streaming in a pilot many years ago when most people still used SD DVDs and the postal service. Google's vision was right on the money, even though it took many years before 99.9% of the population could watch anything I made in HD due to their lousy internet connection speeds. I also loved their mapping and Google Earth in particular. I also totally get their need to use ad revenue to pay for all this. My problem with Google started with their ripping off iOS IP and Schmidt back stabbing Steve. At one time Apple and Google seemed joined at the hip and great things were coming down the pipe. Sadly a bastard child was adopted by Google called Scamsung.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. 

I don't have anything bad to say about Amazon. I've ordered from them plenty of times, and always gotten what I ordered with no hassles and for a decent price.

I do think that their stock is extremely overvalued, but that's a different story.