Apple retains title of 'most admired' company for 7th straight victory

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..

err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.

Ah, ok. well, I wouldn't know; I'm not a fortune teller, but I can tell Fortune's stories. Or at the very east pass them on, by quoting. The Top 5 company articles were all from Erika Fry, a NYC journalist.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Most Admired.

Largest Profits.

Humongous Bank Wad.

Master Innovator.

Great COO/CEO.

Cuddly Designer.

Stock worth Squat.

Go figger.

• Reply 23 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mhikl wrote: »
    Most Admired.
    Largest Profits.
    Humongous Bank Wad.
    Master Innovator.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Great</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> COO/CEO.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Cuddly Designer.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Stock worth Squat.</span>

Go figger.

Succinct and accurate. Although I can't complain having gathered all my AAPL <100 but it should be 700-1000 for sure.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Succinct and accurate. Although I can't complain having gathered all my AAPL <100 but it should be 700-1000 for sure.

Forgive the succinctness, but why? Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

• Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Amazon? Admired? Why?

Amazon Web Services are the gold standard for cloud computing. Major internet services like Dropbox and Netflix depend on AWS.

• Reply 26 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

You're right, Apple's share price isn't based on how awesome it is. It seems to be based on FUD.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

My guess is that it is the same group of polled individuals who also admire Apple.

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're right, Apple's share price isn't based on how awesome it is. It seems to be based on FUD.

In very many ways it can be, you're not wrong. It's based on what investors in general feel the future potential of the company is. Apple is currently fighting a complicated battle with some large competitors in all of their major markets. This is not the case for some of the other companies often compared.

If you feel Apple is going to win this battle, then low prices are good for you because you can buy a $500 with the hope of cashing out in a few years at double that.

If you feel that Apple is not going to win this battle, then you will not be willing to buy at $500 and a lack of buy pressure will push the price downwards.

So yes, if people believe that Apple is not going to win then the price will go down, and FUD can be a part of that, but massive profits and a vertical ecosystem is already part of Apple's price as they've been doing this for some years now.

• Reply 29 of 53
    Forgive the succinctness, but why? Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

Nice sarcasm there. Did I say it was? However, there is a strong link. ... p.s., love how your handle is grammatically incorrect ... ;)
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Did I say it was?

You seemed to imply it, that's why I asked you why you felt that way.

• Reply 31 of 53
    You seemed to imply it, that's why I asked you why you felt that way.

Actually I agree with your post above to Apple ][.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Actually I agree with your post above to Apple ][.

Ok cool, I just get confused seeing a lot of the stock posts because I am hoping to see some stocks I like fall in value so I can justify putting money in. I'm not even sure if I could use an apostrophe in my username by the way, but I probably should have tried.

• Reply 33 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. But I'm not just talking about their primary goods store. They also have their EC2 cloud computing. I can setup and run complex server scenarios that I can put on the internet and it's unbelievably inexpensive.

Yes, their ec2 service perhaps. But I generally don't admire low prices per se. Amazon is the King of internet commerce, or at least it was, but I still find it hard to admire them. The sell cheap, as does the dollar store, granted. I admire companies for quality, design, and all sorts of other qualities, but rarely cheap. Amazon is significant, and impressive but admirable? Admirable suggests the embodiment of mostly positive qualities and Amazon hardly fits the term in my book. 'Impressive' is less discriminating and I would not argue Amazon's inclusion there. A much more interesting list is Fast Company's list of top innovative companies.

http://www.fastcompany.com/section/most-innovative-companies-2014 ;

• Reply 34 of 53
    That's impressive they've been able to retain that title for such a long time. I don't like Amazon's tablets but the services they offer are nice so good for them too.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

I love YouTube, not the mindless crap posted about dog tricks, I mean the ability to create a channel and distribute ones own HD material worldwide in seconds for business purposes. I do admire that. I was one of the early Google developers granted unlimited length HD streaming in a pilot many years ago when most people still used SD DVDs and the postal service. Google's vision was right on the money, even though it took many years before 99.9% of the population could watch anything I made in HD due to their lousy internet connection speeds. I also loved their mapping and Google Earth in particular. I also totally get their need to use ad revenue to pay for all this. My problem with Google started with their ripping off iOS IP and Schmidt back stabbing Steve. At one time Apple and Google seemed joined at the hip and great things were coming down the pipe. Sadly a bastard child was adopted by Google called Scamsung.

Yes, my friend ... my / OUR problem with google started with that asshole named Schmidt as well.

And, when google kind of cheated and forced many of Youtube members to create a gmail and link our original registered e-mail to it and then ....BOOM ..... never ever log in with that BAD OLD e-mail. Going forward ... log in with your gmail freaking account only!

FWIW, I prefer developers who use Vemo now. It's kind of classy .... if you know what I mean :)

I also enjoy the French Youtube here ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/

• Reply 36 of 53
    You've got to notice Starbucks as number five! Those people just love their morning coffee.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Ok cool, I just get confused seeing a lot of the stock posts because I am hoping to see some stocks I like fall in value so I can justify putting money in. I'm not even sure if I could use an apostrophe in my username by the way, but I probably should have tried.

Well a fall is relative. If you bought as I did below 100 then I think of it as a movement and yes perhaps for a while that's ok but if you bought at 600-700 it's a pretty nasty loss / decline and I hope for those folks hanging on it comes back up. Ultimately it is too low for the company by any metric you look at.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    disturbia wrote: »

Yes, my friend ... my / OUR problem with google started with that asshole named Schmidt as well.

And, when google kind of cheated and forced many of Youtube members to create a gmail and link our original registered e-mail to it and then ....BOOM ..... never ever log in with that BAD OLD e-mail. Going forward ... log in with your gmail freaking account only!

FWIW, I prefer developers who use Vemo now. It's kind of classy .... if you know what I mean :)

I also enjoy the French Youtube here ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/

You known I never looked at Vimeo as a solution for distribution since the early days when they couldn't deal with 1080p. I will check it out. Daily Motion doesn't have the 'classy' feel IMHO but again, I haven't checked that out either.

Edit: Ah I see now, Video Plus is a fee paying system. But perhaps worth it.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other notable brands in the rankings include Nike (No. 13), Samsung Electronics (No. 21), Microsoft, (No. 24), Facebook (No. 38), eBay (No. 44), and Intel (No. 47).

What a blatant lie. Microsoft is number 17

• Reply 40 of 53
    sudonym wrote: »
    I guess Fortune hates Google too!

3920 people hate google.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/most-admired/2014/faq/?iid=wma14_sp_method