South Korea allows Samsung to continue use of SEPs in litigation, rejects Apple complaint

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

I was in the market for a TV in February, I did not even look at the Samsung TVs because of their immoral and illegal practices. I just went with a Sony. Samsung has lost my business.

• Reply 22 of 39
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member

Seems to me that the path is clear for Apple now. Take some of that $100+ billion dollars that it has overseas and buy up some SEP. Then give Samsung the exact same licensing deal that Samsung gives them. Given how many more cheap POS phones Samsung sells I envision Apple making far more money off of Samsung than the other way around.

Or even better. Give the same SEP away free to everyone except Samsung. Of course, only do this in Korea.

The problem with all of this is that Samsung is trying to leverage SEP to gain access to non-SEP. That is not how SEP is supposed to be used and both the US and EU have realized and warned Samsung about it. Korea of course didn't, and I am sure that the level of corruption displayed by Samsung time and time again has absolutely nothing to do with that decision.

• Reply 23 of 39
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS2U View Post

I was in the market for a TV in February, I did not even look at the Samsung TVs because of their immoral and illegal practices. I just went with a Sony. Samsung has lost my business.

Right there with all of you. I refuse to buy anything Samsung anymore. Somebody over there had better wake up and realize that this idiocy in their phone division is starting to spill over into their other divisions.

Then again, given how much Apple seems to be working to divorce themselves from Samsung's component division I am sure that they are aware of it and simply don't care. Samsung is a horrible company, but they know how to play the political game and are free with their money where they need to be; buying off politicians, judges, celebrities, and journalist.

• Reply 24 of 39
    Love that KFTC original recipe fried chicken.
  • Reply 25 of 39

The danger for Samsung or anyone that abuses SEP's, is that they will not be invited for setting future SEP's.

• Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

my memory might be a bit foggy, but wasn't it the jury that awarded the $1 billion judgement and not the Judge?  Also, I'm not too sure, but wasn't it this same Judge that tried to clear out almost 1/2 of this $1 billion award...only to have a second completely different jury in a second trial give most of it right back to Apple? I guess its possible I dreamed the whole thing. Seems too much like soap opera than reality.

@snova: Sure, Judge Koh played her role - by rejecting disproportionate amount of Samsung's expert witnesses and crucial evidences on procedural ground. You know, it takes two to tango.  And, no.  The damage only re-trial whittled down the first jury verdict by $150M which isn't too shabby.

• Reply 27 of 39
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    I also am boycotting Samsung products. There is a boycott Samsung Facebook group. Boycottsamsung.com is available to buy. We should start an American revolution against Samsung except there are too many morons in America who will buy regardless. So sad.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    korea fair trade commission? sounds like a conflict in terms.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    ronmg wrote: »
    I also am boycotting Samsung products. There is a boycott Samsung Facebook group. Boycottsamsung.com is available to buy. We should start an American revolution against Samsung except there are too many morons in America who will buy regardless. So sad.

It's not a cause the general public will get behind, unfortunately.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    I wonder how long this will be going on for, just indefinitely? Apple will come out with a product or idea and Samsung will copy it regardless. Samsung is such a reactionary company, I can't stand companies or people that copy other people. It isn't hard to come up with original ideas.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    No big surprise there. They will do and say anything to defend their Korean friends.
  • Reply 32 of 39

Well done.

Glad to see some still have the courage to stand up to the US/Apple hegemony.

Now be good iSheep and go to your beloved iTunes and buy 2NE1's newest album: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/crush/id828866397

KOREA = best

SAMSUNG = best

• Reply 33 of 39
    Seems clear that Samsung should be blocked from using their tech in any future standards.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Other than an attempt at a mx vid with a style used about 15 years ago, don't get the point, except maybe that this viz approach in vids started in u.s. long before it was used by other film makers.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    It's a spam post. Flag it.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Time for Rockstar to take their SEP's to the South Korean courts, now they have the green light to abuse them.

• Reply 37 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

And this is not reported in the NY Times or WSJ because... ?

(Hint: which company pays a ton for advertising and which company is believed to be capable of paying more?)

• Reply 38 of 39

There's a shocking amount of overt racism in some of the comments in this thread.