Google Hangouts updated with iPad and iOS 7 optimization, new video options

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Google on Thursday updated its all-in-one Hangouts messaging app, bringing optimizations for Apple's latest iOS 7, new features for iPad and overall usability enhancements.

Hangouts

With the latest Google Hangouts, the Internet search giant's messaging service hits version 2.0 and gets a fresh coat of iOS 7-style paint with all-new features designed specifically for the iPad.

Perhaps one of the most significant additions is the ability to record and share ten-second video messages with friends and groups. Both recording and viewing is accomplished in-app.

As for iPad-specific enhancements, Hangouts now supports picture-in-picture video calling, which basically turns the app into a free iOS video conferencing service.

Other improvements include sending a map of a user's current location and animated "stickers."

Google Hangouts is a free 24.2MB download for free from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Who cares?

Seconded.

A messaging platform's success is clearly measured in users as well as features, iMessage/FaceTime and Facebook clearly win the former through simplicity or ubiquity, whilst novel features in other Apps (Twitter, WhatsApp, Snapchat etc.) create (if somewhat temporarily) large-enough install bases for specific use cases.

Google continues, despite Android and Chrome, to fail on both accounts.

"Who cares?" indeed.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Seconded.

A messaging platform's success is clearly measured in users as well as features, iMessage/FaceTime and Facebook clearly win the former through simplicity or ubiquity, whilst novel features in other Apps (Twitter, WhatsApp, Snapchat etc.) create (if somewhat temporarily) large-enough install bases for specific use cases.

Google continues, despite Android and Chrome, to fail on both accounts.

"Who cares?" indeed.

Is Gtalk/Hangouts considered a niche messaging service?

• Reply 4 of 12
    I don't think I've ever used this and it's available to me from everything. I just don't have a need for it... at all.
  • Reply 5 of 12

Hangouts is a great cross platform messaging app. A lot of functionality. I use it every day on my Chromebook and and with iOS7.  I don't understand why people have to be down on an app or product they probably don't use in the first place. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applewho View Post

my Chromebook and and with iOS7.  I don't understand why people have to be down on an app or product they probably don't use in the first place. 

I don't understand use use of this product combination either.

• Reply 7 of 12
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Unless Facetime magically starts working on Android and Windows, I'll be using Hangouts for video chat with certain non-Apple friends and family, as well as when I'm on my phone rather than my tablet or computer. 

Like Facetime, Hangouts is far less laggy than Skype, in my experience. Unlike Facetime, Hangouts is just as cross-platform as Skype.

Would I prefer to use Facetime to chat with all these people? Of course. Can I? No.

• Reply 8 of 12
    No Google Apps for me Thanks.
    I just don't care for them.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    edit..
  • Reply 10 of 12
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Unless Facetime magically starts working on Android and Windows, I'll be using Hangouts for video chat with certain non-Apple friends and family, as well as when I'm on my phone rather than my tablet or computer. 

Like Facetime, Hangouts is far less laggy than Skype, in my experience. Unlike Facetime, Hangouts is just as cross-platform as Skype.

Would I prefer to use Facetime to chat with all these people? Of course. Can I? No.

I switched from iPhones before Facetime but heard it is quite good.  How does it compare to Hangouts?  Despite the 'I hate anything not Apple' crowd here, Hangouts is pretty good and blows Skype out of the water.  Has Facetime added multiuser support?  I don't use Hangouts much, but its usually my parents in Switzerland, sister in one state, cousin in another, and me in another and we're all onscreen at the same time and its still less laggy than Skype.

• Reply 11 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Does Facetime or Hangouts let you make phone calls? Do they let you have a local phone number just about anywhere in the world even if you aren't there? Do they offer international calling for 2 cents a minute? Do they have voicemail? Does FaceTime or Hangouts let you transfer files? Does FaceTime work on every computer and mobile platform? Skype has a much higher install base. Everyone I converse with internationally has Skype as their default communication platform. 

I looked at the Hangouts page and you have to join Google+ apparently. I'll stick with Skype.

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does Facetime or Hangouts let you make phone calls? Do they let you have a local phone number just about anywhere in the world even if you aren't there? Do they offer international calling for 2 cents a minute? Do they have voicemail? Does FaceTime or Hangouts let you transfer files? Does FaceTime work on every computer and mobile platform? Skype has a much higher install base. Everyone I converse with internationally has Skype as their default communication platform. 

I looked at the Hangouts page and you have to join Google+ apparently. I'll stick with Skype.

Hangouts does allow phone calls (free in US/Canada and 2c/min generally international), it allows screen sharing, picture sharing, chat etc etc.

Not sure why people complain about having to create an account to use hangouts, skype requires that you create an account, as does facetime..

My experience with Skype has been very bad. My skype account was hacked once and a ton of calls were made to/from all sorts of east european/asian countries. I had my calling balance set for auto rollover and about $50 in calls were made.

Skype did nothing to detect this suspicious account behavior. It was almost impossible to get any tech/customer support from them. They would not refund my money and I cancelled my account.