Mac owners report OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay functionality

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60

MacBook Pro 15" early 2013, MacBook Air 11" late 2013 both running 10.9.2 + 2 x Apple TV 3rd generation = NO Problem on my 60" TV by SONY (NO samsung product is welcome here!)

I suspect those with this issue are google fan / android users! LMAO

• Reply 22 of 60
    Mine works fine with both my MacBook Air 2012 and my iPad 2 after updating both software after the security issue.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    disturbia wrote: »

"AppleInsider was able to reproduce a few of the described issues ..."
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Maybe Apple should allow everybody to test the beta releases of OS X. Now, only developers can test these beta's and apparantly these developers doesn't see this kind of bugs.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    I use a mid-2011 iMac and am now reticent to install the update, as I already have some issues with the Messages app and depend on the AirPlay feature quite a bit. Too bad as I've never hesitated to trust an Apple update before.
  • Reply 26 of 60

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

bubblegum casting

• Reply 27 of 60

with cheddar I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

<a href="https://myspace.com/bubblegum_casting">bubblegum casting</a>

• Reply 28 of 60
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

In your case, it is an asshole error.  They reproduced the problems in the lab confirming there is a problem with AirPlay and OS 10.9.2.  But I guess you don't know how to read.

Boy some people are really immature in here. *rollseyes*

• Reply 29 of 60

The real question is why aren't these things caught in beta testing?  It's like they've only got a half-dozen people testing and they're all on brand new hardware.

For what it's worth, I've got a 2010 Mac Mini and airplay mirroring seems to be working fine to my Apple TV 3rd gen.

I wonder if it's a permissions problem?  Or perhaps a reinstall would fix?  

• Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fredmatrack View Post

Maybe Apple should allow everybody to test the beta releases of OS X. Now, only developers can test these beta's and apparantly these developers doesn't see this kind of bugs.

I think you're right.  Developers are not testing real-world situations.

• Reply 31 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I could be wrong but I am wondering if the folks with a 'broken' set up are failing to spot the options in the Airplay menu for various set ups. I have been on 10.9.2 dev versions for so long now I can't remember if 10.9.1 was different or not. If set to 'Match the (your AppleTV here)' or Extend Desktop it can give a strange look to the Mac screen.

That said, OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) works perfectly for me with either a dual Mac display and two Apple TVs, or as shown here I had one Mac Screen turned off.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38967/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"AppleInsider was able to reproduce a few of the described issues ..."

Yes, but just a few ... ;)

• Reply 33 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Seriously Apple, WTF. Fucking morons... All the resources in the world and they let shit like this happen? Shameful. So now instead of happily update I have to wait a few days first to read Internet reviews... Fucking pathetic.

This is the issues that people expect from Android phones and Windows PCs.

Not having this issues is what makes Apple the most admired brand. Don't **** that.

This is why I usually wait a few weeks before upgrading.   The few times I upgraded immediately after an update was released I regretted it.

One of the things that seemed to happen coincident with 10.9 is that using Outlook, I get constant connect errors when it goes out to get mail.  (My mail accounts are via my ISP and connected to websites that I run).      On the next try, it will work fine.   I spoke with my ISP's tech support and they claim there's nothing wrong with their servers.    I never had this problem before 10.9.

I also recently noticed a problem where in Office apps, if I use (or receive a document with) Arial bold italics, the text disappears from the page.   That never happened before either.   Don't know if it's an OS problem, a font problem or a Microsoft problem.

Aside from developers, who probably only test their own applications, Apple doesn't seem to do any widespread beta testing on new OS releases.    I think that's an issue.    Everything has become so complex, you can't stick five guys in a room and tell them to look for bugs.   There has to be mass testing.     

• Reply 34 of 60

And Windows users are still having lingering issues updating their iTunes to 11.1.5. AI seems to care nothing about it. 

At least something finally breaks for Mac users. Maybe we'll get some quality control from Apple in the future, since something has broken in OS X from poor testing. 

• Reply 35 of 60
    Not working at all on my early 2013 MBP 15". The Airplay option showed up in menu bar (as per the Settings in the monitor menu) but disappeared when I tried to use it. Reboot for both iOS and OSX don't seem to help.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

MacBook Pro 15" early 2013, MacBook Air 11" late 2013 both running 10.9.2 + 2 x Apple TV 3rd generation = NO Problem on my 60" TV by SONY (NO samsung product is welcome here!)

/tinfoil hat on/

Or maybe it's another attempt to manipulate AAPL down to $450.

/tinfoil hat off/

• Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fredmatrack View Post

I don't think typical users have the means for testing beta releases appropriately. Also, Apple would have to deal with beta releases screwing up people's Macs. AppleCare centers and genius bars would be busy trying to fix things they can't fix because a customer installed a BETA release of an update. I see what you're getting at, but there's a reason why Apple doesn't allow the general public to test things like this. 

Maybe they could let a few select customers test in some kind of customer beta program with an agreement that there is no support for beta releases. You just don't want your mom or someone non-techy installing a beta and then getting up set when something doesn't work. 

• Reply 38 of 60
    I gotta be honest, i've been huge Apple fan for years now and i've never been afraid to update any of devices until lately. I consistently have had Wi-fi signal issues with my last two Airport Expresses after updating the firmware. I started having wifi issues with my iPhone 5 right after the first minor os update. Now after iOS 7 my battery all of a sudden went wacky and drops percentage points like crazy on standby, restarts itself in the middle of recording videos and taking pictures and claims to be dead even though it comes back on in 5 minutes at 44%. I'm not a freakout artist and I definitely know that there aren't any "better" alternatives, but Apple needs to get it's sh!t together. The one thing that I could always count on with my Apple devices is that I never had to worry about an update breaking my stuff and I couldn't wait to update. Now I find myself reluctant and in some cases just not updating at all.

The symptoms you describe for your iPhone replicate the ones I had. I took it to an Apple Store and they tested it and found the battery was faulty. They replaced it for free.
  • Reply 39 of 60

thanks for the comments ... i think i will wait a while .... oops will my imac let me wait?

• Reply 40 of 60
    I had no issues with airplay video and audio after I did some simple things. At first the image did not display for mirroring. Then I adjusted the parameters of the image size - not sure of the sequence as the apple TV is in a different room than my laptop when I did it - but it was simple. The image was on the TV after that.
    NOTE: I do not have other mirroring applications, which might be a factor based on the other postings.