Apple TV sales topped $1B in 2013, becoming Apple's fastest growing hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2)Tim is doing nothing that Jobs hadn't done before him. They send out the invites and make the announcement the week before and they usually don't demo it until ready.  ...

The last thing I want Apple to do is announce a new product months in advance. That's not the Apple I appreciate.

Announced it months in advance no, but if they send invites in a few weeks from now then he missed an opportunity.  imo he talked about the Apple TV for a reason and its not a random stat, the upgrade is coming soon.

• Reply 22 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Pretty sure there won't be a general App Store for Apple TV.  It really feels like Apple will cherry-pick developers.

The Apple TV interface is already cluttered with icons.  Can you imagine scrolling through 150 app icons on your TV?

Just to find your favorite to-do list app?  Or your favorite Flappy Bird clone?

What could work is an iPad / iPhone content store. Buy your game / show / season / movie and next time you turn on your aTV  - voila! There is an icon representing your purchase. At the moment navigation via iPhone  / iPad is not good. I think Apple need to re-design the interface.

• Reply 23 of 52
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

??? What kind of devices did GoogleTV need to work with?

Would GoogleTV offer content initiated from your Apple device? Maybe it did. Dunno.

Ah, I see what you are saying.  I thought you were saying GoogleTV depended on some other device.  Which it does not.   The same can not be said, about ChromeCast.  It does depend on other devices, its not standalone like GoogleTV and AppleTV.  So one can flip your argument around and say too bad ChromeCast depends on other devices.  If you were to say that ChromeCast can be standalone and can be used with other devices (like AppleTV) then you would have something. 

its like saying, you bought a electric car to save on fuel and then complaining that too bad you can't refuel it with gas. Or that you bought a normal car, and then complaining that you can't simply refuel it by plugging it into the electrical socket.  AppleTV in this case would be Hybrid car. It does it both ways.  Standalone or driven by external device. 

Now back to you original question. "Who needs GoogleTV, when you got Chromecast" . I think the answer should be clear who those people are.  Read up a few posts about the poster who gave an AppleTV to his non-techie mother to use and loves it.  I'd say she would be one who would prefer a standalone product.   For young kids watching TV, I'd prefer to hand them the AppleTV remote than my iPhone.  I'd say that's another candidate. 

• Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Pretty sure there won't be a general App Store for Apple TV.  It really feels like Apple will cherry-pick developers.

The Apple TV interface is already cluttered with icons.  Can you imagine scrolling through 150 app icons on your TV?

Just to find your favorite to-do list app?  Or your favorite Flappy Bird clone?

I dont agree at all. Having a piece of crap interface is not a reason to not implement an app store. The interface need to be improved. Like other app stores, of course apps would need to be approved by Apple before then can be added.

• Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interesting rumor related to shareholder meeting that Oppenheimer may retire (I don't know Forbes's credibility on Apple-related matters): http://onforb.es/1khdUdd

If it turns out to be true, I'd say, it's about time. Apple's needs and complexities have far outgrown him.

(This is a repost -- I thought it was important enough a rumor and therefore OK to post twice).

And who would be qualified to replace Oppenheimer?

• Reply 26 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Not bad for a hobby.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Interesting rumor related to shareholder meeting that Oppenheimer may retire (I don't know Forbes's credibility on Apple-related matters): http://onforb.es/1khdUdd

If it turns out to be true, I'd say, it's about time. Apple's needs and complexities have far outgrown him.

(This is a repost -- I thought it was important enough a rumor and therefore OK to post twice).
    Care to explain why you think he needs to go?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Announced it months in advance no, but if they send invites in a few weeks from now then he missed an opportunity.  imo he talked about the Apple TV for a reason and its not a random stat, the upgrade is coming soon.
    An opportunity for what? I'd rather everyone be surprised with an announcement.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

1 Billion apparently includes movies etc bought on the Apple TV, not just hardware sales.

Create an Apple TV app store and allow it to play iOS games and expect that to be 4+ Billion next year.

• Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

1 Billion apparently includes movies etc bought on the Apple TV, not just hardware sales.

I don't think so. All content is put that under "iTunes revenue". see slide above.  Especially since iTunes the app itself is free. ;-)  But I am sure AppleTV sales contributes to the iTunes revenue, which make it even more important than just the revenue for the AppleTV itself.  So if you wanted to include AppleTV + the iTunes content it plays and rentals, the number would be even bigger than $1B.

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...$1 billion worth of set-top boxes sold to end users.

...Cook admitted it's tough to continue to call the set-top box a "hobby" anymore. 

...since the redesigned, iOS-based set-top streamer became available.

"Set-top" is such an anachronism!  Time to revamp our descriptors for the modern reality of not having any "top" to the set!

Oh well, "revamp" is an anachronism too, since hardly anyone even knows what a "vamp" is, or goes to shoemakers to have it done!

• Reply 32 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its even better if you buy youre gift cards on sales or with airmiles :p  This is what a do.

Me too!

A few months back, there was a big ebay retailer selling Itunes giftcards with a real nice discount (I think it was 25% off), so I stacked up and bought a whole crap load of them.

I should be set for the next year at least.

• Reply 33 of 52
    Their execution with Apple TV has been pretty smart so far. I hope the previous generation will support the apps and games if they do plan on opening it up. I think they should offer a version of Apple TV for $149 that includes a game controller though. That way maybe more developers will include controller support.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

"Set-top" is such an anachronism!

“Setside” sounds too much like ‘setsunai’, and with AirPort already called AirMac in Japan, that’s not gonna fly. :p

• Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Setside” sounds too much like ‘setsunai’, and with AirPort already called AirMac in Japan, that’s not gonna fly. :p

Actually I would love for Apple to release an Apple brand TV/Monitors that can accept an AppleTV dongle.  That way no box or cables and you still have an upgradable Apple TV.  They could still sell the puck for people with TV sets.

• Reply 36 of 52
    really surprised that they haven't released an AppleTV app store yet. Seems like low hanging fruit that would crush the competition.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And who would be qualified to replace Oppenheimer?

The corporate world is awash with excellent CFOs.

Moreover, Apple recently brought in a Controller from Xerox. I don't know if he'll fit the bill, but I am guessing he must be pretty good....

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Care to explain why you think he needs to go?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/forums/posts/by_user/id/29883

(Ooops... it's post #21 of the thread -- I thought the link would take one to the actual post. Sorry).

• Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Actually I would love for Apple to release an Apple brand TV/Monitors that can accept an AppleTV dongle.  That way no box or cables and you still have an upgradable Apple TV.  They could still sell the puck for people with TV sets.

they already make that. Its called a Apple Cinema Display.  ;-P  joking of course.

• Reply 40 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    evilution wrote: »

Create an Apple TV app store and allow it to play iOS games and expect that to be 4+ Billion next year.

Where did you read that? It just says units.

I agree that an Apple TV App Store would be money!