Despite whirlwind of rumors, new Apple TV hardware may not be imminent

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2014
On the heels of numerous rumors and speculation that Apple will soon release a next-generation Apple TV set-top box, one well-connected journalist has voiced his doubts on the claims.

Apple TV
Logic board from Apple's third-generation Apple TV. | Source: iFixit

In trademark fashion, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop poured cold water on the latest Apple TV rumors with a terse "Nope" to a reportedly imminent hardware refresh that has major news outlets abuzz.

Dalrymple's response was targeted at an Los Angeles Times report that suggested Apple's recent announcement of a $25 iTunes Gift Card promotion is a signal that a new Apple TV is in the offing.

Apple on Friday put the rumor mill in full tilt after the company revealed it would be giving away $25 iTunes Gift Cards with every new Apple TV purchase. Many speculated the move to be part of a strategy to clear channel inventory ahead of a new hardware launch.

With the current-generation Apple TV having launched almost two years ago, industry watchers believe the set-top box is ready for a refresh or, perhaps, a complete overhaul.

For example, a report from the Financial Times on Friday cited sources familiar with Apple's plans as saying the company plans to release a "significantly redesigned" Apple TV before the Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The rumored hardware is said to offer enhanced support for video games and could have access to the iOS App Store.

Also on Friday, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced during Apple's shareholder meeting that revenue from Apple TV sales and services reached over $1 billion in 2013. The numbers represent an 80-percent jump from 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In trademark fashion, Jim Dalrymple of <em>The Loop</em> poured <a href="http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/02/28/apples-rumored-new-apple-tv/">cold water</a> on the latest Apple TV rumors with a terse "Nope" to a reportedly imminent hardware refresh that has major news outlets abuzz.

Rumor has it, Chuck Norris once challenged Jim Dalrymple to a fight. He said "nope" and that was the end of it.
  • Reply 2 of 36

I'd trust Jim Dalrymple's "nope" over any number of unsourced rumor-mongers.

• Reply 3 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jim Dalrymple is a total tool, but a very well-connected tool.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

That comment means absolutely nothing,  since he can just say, "I didn't mean that ... blah blah blah."  

• Reply 5 of 36
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    My money is On a new TV line

And a new Mac mini

And I I watch

Hopeful thinking
  • Reply 6 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    aaronj wrote: »
    That comment means absolutely nothing,  since he can just say, "I didn't mean that ... blah blah blah."  
    He clarified to MacRumors that his "nope" meant no imminent Apple TV announcement. He has a solid track record. My guess is Apple will announce it at WWDC. Question is if they will have any product updates between now and then. My guess is nothing more than iOS 7.1.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Ah, Chuck Norris jokes.....

Chuck Norris once downloaded an iOS App from Google Play. (or... Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac from Burger King. And he got one.)
  • Reply 8 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Chuck Norris can decline a License Agreement but still install the software
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Maybe I missed it but the article just states that someone said no, no explanation as to why it might not happen. Just no.

Of course there are no real reason to say that a new Apple TV is coming soon, just speculation.
    But this is the weakest of the articles I've read.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple TV sales reached over $1 billion in 2013. With approximately 10 million unit sales, the numbers represent an 80-percent jump from 2012.

That $1 billion apparently includes iTunes sales and rentals.  And actually that's the best news of all.

Revenue from content distribution is the real goal of Apple TV.  Isn't it?

And isn't that Apple's long-term television strategy in a nutshell?

• Reply 11 of 36
    I don't think theres been an app store for this simply because the included physical interface is the apple remote - probably not a great starting point if you're thinking to revolutionize the tv experience.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They seem to be happy just ticking along, adding new channels and minor software updates at the moment. One of the things that makes it so popular is the price I think, it's incredible value. If they make an Airport Express that is also an Apple TV (as was mentioned on this site a month or so ago) that could be even more amazing value.

• Reply 13 of 36
    sockrolid wrote: »
    That $1 billion apparently includes iTunes sales and rentals.  And actually that's the best news of all.

I believe the $1B figure is just for hardware.

Don't iTunes sales and rentals account for much more than a billion per year?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I believe the $1B figure is just for hardware.

Don't iTunes sales and rentals account for much more than a billion per year?

Hmmmm.  Cook said $1 billion in revenue.  Not necessarily all from hardware sales.

Various blogs have jumped to the conclusion that $1 billion in revenue / $100-per-Apple-TV-unit = 10 million Apple TV units sold.

Maybe someone can post a breakdown.

And yes, iTunes total revenue is probably well over $1 billion per year.  Apparently Apple doesn't publish exact iTunes numbers.

From last quarter's unofficial earnings report:

"iTunes/Software/Services ... $4.397 billion ... "

"Includes revenue from sales on the iTunes Store, the App Store, the Mac App Store, and the iBooks Store, and revenue from sales of AppleCare, licensing and other services."

Full report: https://www.apple.com/pr/pdf/q1fy14datasum.pdf

• Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The $1B number includes content bought through AppleTV.  The numbers for iTunes as a whole are WAY bigger than $1B alone.

• Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He clarified to MacRumors that his "nope" meant no imminent Apple TV announcement. He has a solid track record. My guess is Apple will announce it at WWDC. Question is if they will have any product updates between now and then. My guess is nothing more than iOS 7.1.

We'll see.  I have a feeling we'll be hearing an announcement before WWDC.  

• Reply 17 of 36
    Maybe I missed it but the article just states that someone said no, no explanation as to why it might not happen. Just no.

Of course there are no real reason to say that a new Apple TV is coming soon, just speculation.

On a few rare occasions in the past when a fairly plausible rumor about an Apple release seems like it may gain traction in the press he has issued a "nope" with no explanation. He's always been right when he's said nope and it's assumed he knows somebody at Apple that is passing that info to him. I'd guess it's an official leak of some some kind to tamp down incorrect information that is so often inferred from whatever Apple does.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Not true.

You can know how much weight to give a particular source, based on their past history.

I don't recall him ever being wrong. He must obviously be very well connected with Apple. If he says that an Apple tv refresh is not imminent, then I am likely to believe that.

Now, if the source was Digitimes claiming that, I would immediately believe the exact opposite of what they claim.

• Reply 19 of 36
    I've got this down.

News reports say Apple TV is imminent.

Jim Dalrymple says, "Nope."

2 weeks later, Apple launches new "Apple TV-like" product called "Air TV".

Jim Dalrymple says, "You guys said "Apple TV"."
  • Reply 20 of 36
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Now, if the source was Digitimes claiming that, I would immediately believe the exact opposite of what they claim.
    Wouldn't that make Digitimes a reliable source?