Apple preparing software update to enhance functionality of iPhone 5s Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Mine takes two tries on average. Sometimes on first try, sometimes taking three or four. It was better brand new, but it is still far better then me typing in my password which I could also screw up and will take longer.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    The article says 'free software update' as if that is something special.

But software updates for the phone have always been free.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why should Apple change things for some random, slightly eccentric user who chooses to reboot his device very day because he thinks it does something.

They did cave to those people who obsessively (and uselessly) force quit every app anytime they can, by restoring iOS 6's behavior of letting some background services run even after a force quit because those people were complaining that their apps wouldn't get notifications.

• Reply 24 of 42
    That's crazy no other company could see the value/innovation in AuthenTec's fingerprint scanner. Now Samsung is back to throwing in an old swipe style scanner just to mark a checkbox. Hopefully the new firmware update from Apple fixes the fade problem, it's a minor annoyance.
  • Reply 25 of 42

Actually 99% of the time it's software.  iOS 7.04 has a lot of issues where eventually the OS will start to crash.  When that happens, the sensor gets wonky.  Mine decided after charging overnight that I don't have any fingerprints stored on it.  I took it to the Applestore and they ran iOS Diags on it and found 16 crashing apps and about half of them where system related.  I had to wipe the device and setup as new and resync my icloud data to it.  I couldn't restore from a backup because more than likely the backup has the corruption on it.  

That's the downside to backups, they can contain corrupt system data.  It wasn't much of a big deal with iOS 6, but 7 seems to be crashing a lot more.

People do not understand how your fingerprint can change by doing day to day things like bathing, cooking or even running the heat in your home which can make your skin dry and flaky and affect the sensor.

• Reply 26 of 42
    I've had my 5s since it was introduced. At first, the touch ID worked fine but after a few days (sometimes a week or two), the system would not recognize my finger print, (the "fade" referred to in the article). I was constantly reprogramming my fingerprints to get consistent recognition.
    I brought the problem up to an Apple store employee who suggested I program the same finger(s) multiple times for better recognition. That seemed to work better, for a while. But, after a few weeks, the "fade" started again. Again, I would reprogram the same finger multiple times, that would work for a while but the "fade" would start again.
    I stopped back into the Apple store where someone from the Genius Bar told me that scanning the same finger multiple times would just "confuse" the phone. At that point, the Genius Bar Apple employee said it was time to run a diagnostic scan on my phone. After that was done, it was suggested that the phone be replaced. I said 'ok' and I was on my way with a replacement phone. I've had the replacement phone for 5 days. The fingerprint recognition worked very well the first few days but then I started to notice the "fade" starting again.
    The 'fix' that's on the way will be welcome and let's hope it takes care of the problem for those of us that have the problem.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I have absolutely zero problems with it myself. Impressive tech. Once a week maybe it doesn't recognize my print at first, and generally it's then that I have to touch two or three times the sensor.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Mine works about 99% of the time.  And when it doesn't its usually because my fingers are wet/greasy.

I programed 5 slots with the same finger.

Are your fingers often wet or greasy?
    My fingers are never greasy, just saying.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    beltsbear wrote: »
    Mine takes two tries on average. Sometimes on first try, sometimes taking three or four. It was better brand new, but it is still far better then me typing in my password which I could also screw up and will take longer.

Soi it's on par with plugging in a USB cable. :D
  • Reply 30 of 42
    clemynx wrote: »
    I have absolutely zero problems with it myself. Impressive tech. Once a week maybe it doesn't recognize my print at first, and generally it's then that I have to touch two or three times the sensor.

I would say by both percentage and frequency I incorrectly type a password more often than Touch ID doesn't recognize my finger.
  • Reply 31 of 42

The sensor is so sensitive that changes in body hydration can affect it.

• Reply 32 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would say by both percentage and frequency I incorrectly type a password more often than Touch ID doesn't recognize my finger.

As tech improves our expectation and impatience increase equally. Whereas a mistype might produce a 'sigh' and a double mistype a 'sigh' followed by an exasperated expletive, a single mis-recognition will summon an indignant 'WTF?' (useless tech!)

• Reply 33 of 42
    Finally a fix! I can only hope that it works. Touch ID was the main reason I upgraded from the 5 to the 5s, but "the fade" has made it, for all practical purposes, nearly unusable. For the estimated 10-20% of 5s users who are dealing with this issue, "the fade" usually sets in within hours or days or re-registering fingerprints %u2026 not weeks. It has also been established that exchanging for a new phone or a clean reinstall of software will not help those who have the issue. The fade just returns all over again.
  • Reply 34 of 42

I had about a 75% success rate in the beginning, then I began to "overtrain" it, same as suggested by Axcess99's post. It worked for me. It's better than 95% now. I use 4 "slots", each for a different finger/thumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axcess99 View Post

This article and comments miss the simple technique for over-training touch-id. The short of that is just to use the "test" scan part of the touch settings. Every time it recognizes a finger, it will keep recording and enhancing that record. No need to do 5 slots of the same finger.

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-you-heres-fix

• Reply 35 of 42
    I am running iOS 7.1 and accuracy went from 98% to 99.9%. Every once in a while I clean The home button with a soft dry cloth. Never had an issue.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Tech support has said that this Software fix is coming 4 a while now. Makes sense that it will be incorporated into 7.1 most likely this will improve the accuracy rate
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I'm happy to see this news! I begun to think it might just be me who's experiencing this 'fade' problem. Thanks Appleinsider, Apple, & AuthenTec:-)
  • Reply 38 of 42
    As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced 4G jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the signal jamer product.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

I had completely stopped using touch ID because of the fade. Now after the recent SSL-fix update of iOS it seems to be working again.

• Reply 40 of 42
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

I'd like to know how many people actually press the home key when they want it to check their fingerprint. It doesn't require a lot of pressure to read, just get your finger close and it reads it. I've found not pressing the home key allows my fingerprint to be read almost all the time while pressing hard causes it to not read (flattening out my fingerprint). 

As for the person who reboots every day, why would you only enter your passcode once a day? Do you always have it open and unlocked?